Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:27 AM

132 posts, read 295,929 times

Advertisements

So looking back on my career so far I have been underemployed since I graduated in 2003. I graduated with a finance/marketing degree from a well known university on the East Coast. I was also fortunate enough to
Co-op for two Fortune 500 companies prior to graduating.

My first real job out of school I only made $36K. 3 years later my company went out of business and I found myself unemployed. 6 months after that I found my next opportunity but my employer was unwilling to negotiate a fair salary because I had been out of work so they took advantage of my situation. I was hoping the problem would correct itself if I worked hard and proved myself but after six years with the company my salary only increased by 15%. I was passed up several times for promotions and the 2008 financial crisis didn't help much. To better myself I went back and got my MBA the old fashioned way...3 years, part time and after work 2 nights a week.

After six years with the same company I had enough and so I started looking for my next opportunity. Fortunately I found a good opportunity (so I thought) and was making a salary in the upper 60s. 5 Months after starting the job they laid me off due to restructuring. Damn, I didn't see that one coming!

So here I am, trying to survive my second unemployment stint. I am working p/t for a PR firm to avoid any gaps in my resume. After 8 months of unemployment, I had many opportunities fall flat on my face. Most recently I had a phone interview with the one company for a position and they told me straight up that the salary would only be $50K but at the same time they really were impressed with my resume and education background. Yet only $50K is what I am worth? I asked if that can be negotiated and the lady didn't "think" that was a possibility.

So now that I no longer get unemployment (thanks Congress) I would be forced to take this low paying job assuming they made an offer? How does one recover from that??? Even if I took it and started looking I would be deemed a "job hopper" by a future employer.

Ugh...I'm just frustrated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 09:44 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,788,266 times
I'm underemployed too. I can sympathize. I try to tell myself it's better than nothing but it's frustrating.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:52 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,586,200 times
Perhaps you should consider opening your own business.
I wonder how much better that lowly $50,000.00 would be when you barely make enough profit to pay the electric bill and buy food working 12+ hours a day along with all the headaches that come with being a sole owner.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:56 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,761,311 times
Just because you were paid in the late 60s one time doesn't mean you will be underemployed or that you're guaranteed that again.

If you have no job, you are making $0. $50K sounds like a lot more than $0 to me.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Perhaps you should consider opening your own business.
I wonder how much better that lowly $50,000.00 would be when you barely make enough profit to pay the electric bill and buy food working 12+ hours a day along with all the headaches that come with being a sole owner.
That takes money and these days small businesses are failing.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:03 AM

2,323 posts, read 2,922,788 times
After all that you've been through, you should have jumped at the 50k opportunity. After a year or two, and you've proven your worth at that salary, the next job would be 60k or more

Old 01-22-2014, 10:20 AM

132 posts, read 295,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
After all that you've been through, you should have jumped at the 50k opportunity. After a year or two, and you've proven your worth at that salary, the next job would be 60k or more
Well let me clarify again, they didn't offer me anything yet.

This thread isn't about me wanting making gobs of money. I get that the 6 figure salary days are pretty much over at least for my generation. I'm just looking to make a livable wage so I get my wife and I out of our tiny apartment and into a house. Can't really do that on a low salary

Old 01-22-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watusi View Post
Well let me clarify again, they didn't offer me anything yet.

This thread isn't about me wanting making gobs of money. I get that the 6 figure salary days are pretty much over at least for my generation. I'm just looking to make a livable wage so I get my wife and I out of our tiny apartment and into a house. Can't really do that on a low salary
And that's understandable. As for me, I want to help my grandmother more than what I'm helping her with now.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:25 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,506,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
That takes money and these days small businesses are failing.
IMO having your own business is the only way to go.

Why make money for someone else???

Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,399,239 times
I would love to make 50,000. I just got offered a job making 12.50 an hour that tops out at 35,000. I used to make 45,000 a year doing the same job. At least you are married and have someone who can also work and pull in income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment