Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:55 AM

55 posts, read 158,465 times

Advertisements

I think my BBA is useless. My major was computer business information systems way back in 1997, yeah I'm getting old. I never really USED my degree and over the past decade have done temp work, customer service, worked at a movie studio. I changed and I do massage therapy but now I'm bored and want to go back to a real career job. The massage therapy is slow at the spa and now I can't seem to get back in to the market. I'm not sure if my skills are no longer useful or is my degree obsolete.

I live in L.A. so that's one problem. My best skill is working with people. However, I have never done anything specific with my degree and honed any specific skills like accounting or finance. Just didn't have the luck. Now I feel like i need to go back to school.

Anyone else feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 07:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
I don't, but when they told everyone that the manufacturing industry had to go (to China and Mexico), and told everything that IT was much better and the thing to get into, they were already outsourcing it also and there wasn't much for the glut of new graduates with IT degrees. What's left is the service industry, including health care.

The other problem with IT is that for many people in IT, it's actually their second or third degree, they move into IT after knowing another field inside and out so that they can be good in IT for their particular field. That is - IT is best when combined with something else so you can actually understand what users are asking or need.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:46 AM

55 posts, read 499,289 times
What is a BBA?

Old 04-22-2010, 09:46 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,446,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by errigal View Post
What is a BBA?
Bachelor's of Business Administration.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:20 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,429,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Bachelor's of Business Administration.
It's silly to think one has the credentials to administer and manage a business without any experience or knowledge of the business itself. That's the problem with getting BBAs. At least with MBAs, most people already have some years of industry experience and are just complementing their resumes.

It's also what led GM to the brink of bankruptcy. None of their upper management had a background in automotive engineering. They became a pension and marketing company, and not a car company. Whereas if you look at Honda and BMW, all their top management are former mechanical engineers. Not surprising that Honda and BMW make better cars.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:39 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,225,054 times
the degree does not make the man/woman....get the experience and some success stories to talk about.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:00 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,866,769 times
My elementary education degree is useless. I have been out of work for 10 months. Even the Secretary of Education said that teacher layoffs have been "unprecedented" and will likely continue. I want to switch careers.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:49 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,493,092 times
I have this exact degree, I graduated in 2005 however, and know exactly how you feel. I might as well got a degree in dog grooming. It serves it purpose as a degree to pretty much have a degree, as I am with the gov't, just having a degree opens up many doors with the feds.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:11 PM

125 posts, read 1,039,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolchic200 View Post
I think my BBA is useless. My major was computer business information systems way back in 1997, yeah I'm getting old. I never really USED my degree and over the past decade have done temp work, customer service, worked at a movie studio. I changed and I do massage therapy but now I'm bored and want to go back to a real career job. The massage therapy is slow at the spa and now I can't seem to get back in to the market. I'm not sure if my skills are no longer useful or is my degree obsolete.

I live in L.A. so that's one problem. My best skill is working with people. However, I have never done anything specific with my degree and honed any specific skills like accounting or finance. Just didn't have the luck. Now I feel like i need to go back to school.

Anyone else feel this way?
I think B2B sales is your best bet if you want a more "professional" career with out having relevant work experience and you are good with people.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:17 PM

247 posts, read 751,671 times
I have a BS in Business & an MBA from the 2000s and I can name more members of my class that now work as someone's assistant, as a retail worker, or as a salesperson than I can people who are in successful leadership positions. I think it takes years. YEARS. Esp in this economy with so many underemployed people.

No one cares that you have a business degree you have if you are going against people with a degree & 20 years experience who will work for $10 just so their homes don't go into foreclosure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment