Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 05:20 PM

141 posts, read 299,773 times

Advertisements

This is my first time posting on this forum, so first of all, hello everyone!

The reason I'm here is that I've been underemployed for several years and lately I've been thinking of switching careers again. I'm in my early 30s and have a BA and a masters in library science. I finished my masters degree several years ago but have only been able to find a part-time librarian job. I love my job but the fact is that the job market for librarians (especially newer grads) is pretty pathetic. Relocating is not an option since my fiance and I own a condo and he has a good job that he plans on keeping. I've toyed with the idea of going back to school but I don't want to spend a lot of money on education since I still have loans for my previous degrees.

A friend suggested that I look into going to a community college for paralegal studies since that might fit with my research skills as a librarian and my past work in real estate. But I'm afraid of not getting a job when I'm done. I've also thought about reactivating my real estate license (I worked as a real estate assistant before the housing market crashed) and trying my hand at sales, but I'm not sure how secure that would be. Anyone have any other options or ideas? I don't mind going to back to school as long as I don't have to spend an arm and a leg on another degree. I also don't want to be in school forever since my fiance want to start a family soon after we marry. Any advice would be so appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 06:31 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,684,169 times
This may not be the advice you are looking for, but avoid any student loan debt at all costs. No field is a guarantee job anymore. If you want to go for paralegal and paralegals are in demand in your area, then by all means, do it. Just don't go into debt. This way, if the degree doesn't pan out, then you didn't lose anything. If you go into debt, then you will be left with more debt and still be underemployed which is the last thing you want while enduring underemployment. I'll be positive here, if you can go to school without the debt, then you will enjoy a good job and not have to work a menial job to pay back student loans.

I am underemployed too and the last thing I want is more debt. Fortunately, I work for an employer that offers tuition reimbursement, so I am considering taking advantage of that.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:39 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,059,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
This may not be the advice you are looking for, but avoid any student loan debt at all costs. No field is a guarantee job anymore. If you want to go for paralegal and paralegals are in demand in your area, then by all means, do it. Just don't go into debt. This way, if the degree doesn't pan out, then you didn't lose anything. If you go into debt, then you will be left with more debt and still be underemployed which is the last thing you want while enduring underemployment. I'll be positive here, if you can go to school without the debt, then you will enjoy a good job and not have to work a menial job to pay back student loans.

I am underemployed too and the last thing I want is more debt. Fortunately, I work for an employer that offers tuition reimbursement, so I am considering taking advantage of that.

I agree, never made sense for anyone to go in debt when you are already struggling financially

Old 05-06-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post

Thanks for the advice. I definitely don't plan on taking out any more student loans. That's why I was considering something I could do relatively cheaply (like paralegal) so that I can pay out of pocket. I'm so fortunate that my fiance has a good job that provides for us both. It would just be nice to feel like I'm doing more to contribute.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 PM

30,281 posts, read 23,772,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish27 View Post
This is my first time posting on this forum, so first of all, hello everyone!

The reason I'm here is that I've been underemployed for several years and lately I've been thinking of switching careers again. I'm in my early 30s and have a BA and a masters in library science. I finished my masters degree several years ago but have only been able to find a part-time librarian job. I love my job but the fact is that the job market for librarians (especially newer grads) is pretty pathetic. Relocating is not an option since my fiance and I own a condo and he has a good job that he plans on keeping. I've toyed with the idea of going back to school but I don't want to spend a lot of money on education since I still have loans for my previous degrees.

A friend suggested that I look into going to a community college for paralegal studies since that might fit with my research skills as a librarian and my past work in real estate. But I'm afraid of not getting a job when I'm done. I've also thought about reactivating my real estate license (I worked as a real estate assistant before the housing market crashed) and trying my hand at sales, but I'm not sure how secure that would be. Anyone have any other options or ideas? I don't mind going to back to school as long as I don't have to spend an arm and a leg on another degree. I also don't want to be in school forever since my fiance want to start a family soon after we marry. Any advice would be so appreciated.
How about community college and working? You can try to find work in the field you want, go to school and see where that takes you.

Community college should not put you in to debt. At the very least, go talk to a guidance counselor at the school, tell them what you want to study and see about grants. Pell Grants...are you eligible? Look for any other grant. When I went to school, I had my GI Bill, (which I understand you do not have), and a Pell Grant and that basically made my college education free with enough left over to buy books and pay some bills. (And that was being on my own, no one helping me pay the bills.)

Once you have all of that information, then start looking in to the listings for the job/career you are thinking about. Even if you start at the bottom while you're getting your education for that career, you can network and meet a lot of people in both class and work.

Without at least talking to someone at the college about your options, not sure how you can make a decision just yet.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 PM

460 posts, read 1,140,661 times
If you are going to start a family soon, maybe a part-time job, that you love, really isn't that bad?

Old 05-07-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
How about community college and working? You can try to find work in the field you want, go to school and see where that takes you.

Community college should not put you in to debt. At the very least, go talk to a guidance counselor at the school, tell them what you want to study and see about grants. Pell Grants...are you eligible? Look for any other grant. When I went to school, I had my GI Bill, (which I understand you do not have), and a Pell Grant and that basically made my college education free with enough left over to buy books and pay some bills. (And that was being on my own, no one helping me pay the bills.)

Once you have all of that information, then start looking in to the listings for the job/career you are thinking about. Even if you start at the bottom while you're getting your education for that career, you can network and meet a lot of people in both class and work.

Without at least talking to someone at the college about your options, not sure how you can make a decision just yet.
Thanks for the advice! I have looked at community college programs but I'm still unsure about what I'd study. That's the hard part! Most people say to go into something related to healthcare but I'm not sure if that fits. I checked on my eligibility for the Pell grant previously and I don't qualify since I already have a BA and masters.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTN View Post
If you are going to start a family soon, maybe a part-time job, that you love, really isn't that bad?
This is a very good question that I've pondered myself. Right now my fiance and I do just fine financially but we're not where we want to be long term. We own a small condo in an area with terrible schools. By the time our future children get to be school aged we want to be in a house in an area with good schools. Me having a decent income would help us get there quicker.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:11 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,848,314 times
You may want to consider a different field; ... or look 'outside the box' for a career/job that will more fully and financially use your skills and education.

For example, many/most corporations have internal technical/marketing libraries, market research departments and/or business intelligence/strategic intelligence organizations. If your computer skills match your Library skills, you can do much better there, than as a traditional librarian. (I developed such corporate organizations where none previously existed ... plus, Atlanta is full of large corporations).

The research departments of many large libraries (and most colleges) also offer occupational research programs/materials that can help you match-up your skills and interests with a variety of occupations (?but, then, as a librarian, you should already know that?).

(Sidelight: Many young people pursue college degrees in fields where there is no real employment market ... eg; a wide variety of liberal arts degrees. I don't really understand how that happens to people ... unless both parents and students are simply asleep ... BUT, it does!).

Last edited by jghorton; 05-07-2013 at 03:29 PM..

Old 05-07-2013, 03:17 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish27 View Post
Thanks for the advice! I have looked at community college programs but I'm still unsure about what I'd study. That's the hard part! Most people say to go into something related to healthcare but I'm not sure if that fits. I checked on my eligibility for the Pell grant previously and I don't qualify since I already have a BA and masters.
If you have a graduate degree, why would you need to go to a community college? Community colleges tend to serve those for whom an associate's degree is all that is needed or for those wanting to take foundation courses cheaply and then finish their bachelor's at a four-year school. Some major courses can transfer from community colleges to a university, but you would need to consult with the programs at the two schools you are interested in to confirm. The only reason I'd advise you to go to a community college is if you're interested in a specific field and want to explore that interest in a cost effective way.

You are at a stage where going back to a community college and starting over like a fresh high school graduate is not going to be helpful. You already have a graduate degree in a field that is not in demand. You could likely skip the GRE/GMAT and enroll directly into many graduate degree programs, at least on a provisional basis, and take undergraduate prerequisites as needed. That would be my recommendation if you do anything at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment