Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:42 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,017,383 times

Advertisements

How about quality assurance? You can go to many different industries I believe with quality assurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 PM

25 posts, read 41,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish27 View Post
This is my first time posting on this forum, so first of all, hello everyone!

The reason I'm here is that I've been underemployed for several years and lately I've been thinking of switching careers again. I'm in my early 30s and have a BA and a masters in library science. Any advice would be so appreciated.
I've read all of your posts and the helpful replies. There are thousands of people in your same boat, so my advise is to start thinking outside of the box. First access all of your skills and think how they could be applied in your own business. We know you are great at research. Do you have any other special skills or hobbies? Have you researched the top 100 list of best selling eBay items? Do any of those look interesting to you and relate to some of your hobbies/experience? I would start there and rather than looking for a job, start looking for a business that you could create that fulfills a need or demand. Some would say that it is painful to force yourself to look outside of your comfort zone, but that's what its going to take, I'm afraid.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:13 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,684,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish27 View Post
I think I could really enjoy working in healthcare. The main thing that turns me off is the hours. I know as a new entry in the field a lot of times you have to work the less desirable shifts. I'm not sure that's a good fit if I plan on starting a family soon. Something with regular hours would be more in line with what I want.
Have you read the Indeed.com forums about people who can't find jobs in healthcare? I would really ask yourself about why you want to go back to school. If it is to pursue a career you would love, then by all means go. If it is to get out of underemployment and you are looking for a degree that guarantees a job when you graduate, you may be disappointed once you graduate. The thing is, there are no guarantees anymore.

I remember when I first went to college, my field was in huge demand. If you could read or write, you could get a job. Now, I can't find a job after being laid off and am now faced with a similar situation you are in. However, if I do go to school, I want a job in a field I enjoy because the high demand fields of today may change tomorrow.

I remember just 10 years ago no one heard of mobile app developers and now they exist and are in demand.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:34 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,387,802 times
Not to knock the OP, but I have never understaood what library science is and how its a career field. I know of several people who have gotten master's in it. Anytime I visit my library, there's just a small group of older women working there. I wouldn't think they'd be making much money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
This may not be the advice you are looking for, but avoid any student loan debt at all costs. No field is a guarantee job anymore.
Nothing new to add, I jsut agree with the above. I am also in the midst of making a big career change and am avoiding going back to school because I don't feel like its worth the investment in money. Especially when the next career move may not work out or may just buy me a few more years before something else happens and I may need to re-train or change again. So I am taking to learning and gaining experience on my own time and with as little out of pocket as possible.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:28 PM

141 posts, read 299,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
How about school librarian? It keeps you in the general field and might only require a few education courses that you could take part time, at night. You might even get it paid for if you work in the school as an assistant or something else. Of course, it depends on your state's requirements and what the job market it like for school librarians there.
Unfortunately my state requires a a different masters degree for school librarians. Otherwise I think it would be great. Thanks for the advice!

Old 05-08-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
How about quality assurance? You can go to many different industries I believe with quality assurance.
Thanks Beera! I'll look into it.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Have you read the Indeed.com forums about people who can't find jobs in healthcare? I would really ask yourself about why you want to go back to school. If it is to pursue a career you would love, then by all means go. If it is to get out of underemployment and you are looking for a degree that guarantees a job when you graduate, you may be disappointed once you graduate. The thing is, there are no guarantees anymore.

I remember when I first went to college, my field was in huge demand. If you could read or write, you could get a job. Now, I can't find a job after being laid off and am now faced with a similar situation you are in. However, if I do go to school, I want a job in a field I enjoy because the high demand fields of today may change tomorrow.

I remember just 10 years ago no one heard of mobile app developers and now they exist and are in demand.
No, I haven't looked at the Indeed forums, but I will. I definitely know there are no guarantees in any field. I'm just hoping there's something out there that will give me better chances.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Not to knock the OP, but I have never understaood what library science is and how its a career field. I know of several people who have gotten master's in it. Anytime I visit my library, there's just a small group of older women working there. I wouldn't think they'd be making much money.
A masters in library science is the entry level degree for librarians. When you go into a public library (unless it's a very small rural library) most of the people you see and the ones that check your books out are not librarians. They're usually library assistants. Just to give you an idea of what librarians do ... I work at a community college and I help students with their research, teach them to find quality sources, work with faculty to help them tailor assignments for their classes, teach instruction sessions for classes that are designed for specific subject areas or individual assignments. I also create educational materials such as tutorials and research guides and participate in marketing initiatives. And I'm just part-time. My full-time colleagues do a lot more.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:55 PM

541 posts, read 1,996,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post

My husband worked at a library in MA and people came from all over the world to do genealogy research. I have several friends that work as librarians/archivists at Walt Disney World for the marketing team and for anyone calling to do research (writers, newscasters, bloggers, etc.) They also contribute to the parks Facebook pages, Twitter, etc. I also know people at the Walt Disney Archives in Burbank. They take care of all of the history of the parks, resorts, films, awards, etc. Many librarians work at museums. I have seen amazing job postings for The British Museum, The Museum of Man in San Diego, etc. It is a really interesting field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment