Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 12:58 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,362,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
I agree with you about helping those that are truly in need. There are two categories of people that truly need assistance.

1.) People that are legitimately disabled and are unable to work. Such as people with brain damage, missing limbs, etc. However, there are countless fraudulent claims with the most common one being "depression" since it is extremely difficult to prove whether someone really has depression or not.

2.) People that are legitimately and actively looking for work, but honestly can not find one. There is a lot of fraud going on here too.
- I have never met someone that legitimately could not find a job if they were actually looking and willing to work. They manage to find minimum wage blue collar jobs at the very least. If you don't have a job, you should be willing to take any job, if you don't then you are making a decision to not work and should not be entitled to any hand outs.
- On the other hand, I have met plenty of people that are refusing to work until they find a cushy high paying office job because they think they are entitled to one even though they don't have the education, experience, nor work ethic to get one.
then you don't live in california!
a few years ago i was unemployed, and it was during the 2008 economic downturn. and guess what? i had to leave california. i had to go back home, and believe me, i would have taken ANY job. it is possible for a person to want a job and not be able to find one. i am back in california and i am now working at a donut shop. i took whatever i could find. so things are better- at least i am working.

but i am disappointed to see people STILL focusing on welfare recipients as the "problem". corporate welfare is far more pervasive, wasteful, and worth people's anger and ire than some woman in the inner city with 10 kids. get a grip people. choose your enemies a little more wisely. you are focusing on a very small minority of people. there is a VAST amount of corporate waste going on. HUGE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:09 AM

556 posts, read 949,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
How 'bout for a minute?

Census Bureau:

Census Bureau: Means-Tested Gov't Benefit Recipients Outnumber Full-Time Year-Round Workers

108,592,000 people recipients of one or more means-tested government benefit programs

101,716,000 people who worked full-time year round

Census Bureau: Means-Tested Gov't Benefit Recipients Outnumber Full-Time Year-Round Workers | CNS News
1 - those groups aren't mutually exclusive. Sadly, it's possible to work full time in the US and still earn so little that you need/qualify for means tested assistance. When groups are not mutually exclusive, you can't compare them based on size alone.

2 - the number of people receiving means tested assistance includes children and the elderly, which makes the comparison meaningless. About 25% of the US population is under the age 18. I'm willing to bet that the proportion is higher among those receiving assistance since many means tested programs have age restrictions. So at least 25% of those receiving assistance are not legally eligible to work full time. Another 13% are over the age of 65, and it's very likely that they did work full time for many years but need assistance now because they either weren't able to save enough over the years, or their savings disappeared when the markets crashed.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:10 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,867,477 times
Isn't it just a tad ironic that the OP has been unable to find employment for something like 10 years now but, through the auspices of SSDI, other benefits he collects and living off his parents' benevolence he's apparently managed to accumulate a veritable master collection of top of the line electronics/computer hardware and software and a huge wardrobe of women's clothing which I believe he's valued at something over $100K? Pot and kettle analogies are swarming.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 AM

1,480 posts, read 1,526,685 times
Assuming the stats is true rather than look at the person who is poor as the problem look at whether the country is the issue. America is not what she once was. When many people are on welfare it is easy to blame them but when you hear that 100 new children are homeless in your city each year or other stats if you look into it it can be a bigger statement about our country.

Going back to the poor black people, it is ironic that N. America imported all these slaves that a segment of years later are the children's children of the poor black people. Many feel reparations should be paid to native Americans but not black Americans. I think we should at least consider seriously reparations for black people. What we (Americans) have done to them is beyond inhumane and at least as bad as the Indians. I say we even though my ancestors only came here in the 20's so my ancestors did not bring the black people here.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:11 AM

I agree these things do contribute. Did you say Romney said this? Interesting.

The military is the elephant in the room though. Have you seen the little chart that the One Minute For Peace group sends out? It hits you like no other stats! At least it hit me that way.

It shows where the money goes in a long strip....57% of our budget goes to Dept. of Defense, that dwarfs everything else.
Vets get 5.5%, Education 6%, Government 6%, Housing and Community 5.5%, Health 5%, Int'l Affairs 4%, Energy and Environment 3 %, Science 2.5%, Labor 2.5%, Transportation 2% and Food & Ag 1%.

If you took 1/5 of the military's budget and put it in these others or 2/5 we would go back to how we were 10 years ago probably.

Wow what a concept using the money for the people.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:15 AM

Good points nighthouse666!

I am tired of it too. they don't have a full perspective.

Chicago, the city, not the poster, has a horrid history of how it treats black people. I don't see anyone taking responsibility for that.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:17 AM

Sometimes I wonder if these hate-baggers are paid off by someone to post. They sure seem to have a lot of time to spread the hate.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 AM

Wow are you stalking the OP STT Resident? You seem to have collected lots of data on him.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:30 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,029,886 times
When will we stop falling for the BS? Most people on these programs need it because they can't find the adequate employment needed NOT to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Not even close.

How Much Do We Spend on the Nonworking Poor? | Mother Jones

About 5% of federal spending goes to people who theoretically could work, but don't. A lot of those people simply cannot find jobs, but let's say 1/2 of them are outright slackers, or welfare queens as you say.

That means that 2.5% of the budget is wasted.

If you earn $50k, are married, have one kid, and no deductions, your federal tax bill will be $2023. Most people will pay less than that.

The 'wasted' portion of 2.5% comes to $51.00.

I am perfectly willing to waste $51/year to make sure that other, legitimately hungry people, who through no fault of their own are unemployed, get a decent meal.

If you earn less than $50k, your contribution is even lower.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,867,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Wow are you stalking the OP STT Resident? You seem to have collected lots of data on him.
Responding to a post with a comment on a forum to which I regularly contribute is "stalking"? Is remembering details which a poster has openly divulged several times over several years something to be frowned upon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment