Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 03:29 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,456,843 times

Advertisements

If somebody made a comment to me about my gas bill, I'd make a similar comment to shut them up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 03:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,563,783 times
Not more of your conspiracy stuff.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:49 PM

5,066 posts, read 7,268,324 times
Thank you.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:01 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,052,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Not even close.

How Much Do We Spend on the Nonworking Poor? | Mother Jones

About 5% of federal spending goes to people who theoretically could work, but don't. A lot of those people simply cannot find jobs, but let's say 1/2 of them are outright slackers, or welfare queens as you say.

That means that 2.5% of the budget is wasted.

If you earn $50k, are married, have one kid, and no deductions, your federal tax bill will be $2023. Most people will pay less than that.

The 'wasted' portion of 2.5% comes to $51.00.

I am perfectly willing to waste $51/year to make sure that other, legitimately hungry people, who through no fault of their own are unemployed, get a decent meal.

If you earn less than $50k, your contribution is even lower.
Precisely.

I am sick and tired of listening to these screaming hate-baggers trying to convince everyone that some staggering percentage of the budget goes to "welfare bums" with 10+ kids. It is simply untrue, as the facts show, and is just another false flag operation to distract people from the real waste (corporate welfare, debt interest, etc.) and the real problems: not enough jobs, crumbling infrastructure, a culture based strictly on greed and instant gratification, a culture also obsessed with violence and warped Any Rand views of "making sure nobody else benefits from your work."

Of course, in the eyes of the crazies, all of "those people" - and we know what they really mean when they say that - deserve to starve... right up until they lose their own job. Then, it's the fault of "the gubermint" even when what actually happened is their job was outsourced to a slave-wage nation so the CEO could buy a bigger yacht. I have no idea how they make it through each day without their heads exploding from the cognitive dissonance.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:46 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,407,051 times
Most people taking government money are the old folks on Social Security. A lot of them don't even need it. If you want to have a discussion about welfare, that's the place to begin.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:48 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,411,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Read this article! Welfare, Not Full-Time Work, Is Now America's No. 1 Occupation - Investors.com

Problem especially comes from people like this:
I Got 15 Kids & 3 Babydaddys-SOMEONE'S GOTTA PAY FOR ME & MY KIDS!!! - YouTube
People like her shouldn't have children!

Tell me if you can't read the article, you might need an IBD subscription like I have.
If you believe the statistic or the story, you're a ****ing idiot.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:54 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,953,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't believe that statistic for a second.
How 'bout for a minute?

Census Bureau:

Census Bureau: Means-Tested Gov't Benefit Recipients Outnumber Full-Time Year-Round Workers

108,592,000 people recipients of one or more means-tested government benefit programs

101,716,000 people who worked full-time year round

Census Bureau: Means-Tested Gov't Benefit Recipients Outnumber Full-Time Year-Round Workers | CNS News

Old 11-05-2013, 09:03 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,411,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
How 'bout for a minute?

Census Bureau:

Census Bureau: Means-Tested Gov't Benefit Recipients Outnumber Full-Time Year-Round Workers

108,592,000 people recipients of one or more means-tested government benefit programs

101,716,000 people who worked full-time year round

Census Bureau: Means-Tested Gov't Benefit Recipients Outnumber Full-Time Year-Round Workers | CNS News
That includes govt pensions, Medicare and SSDI. Actual social welfare is about 4.5%

Old 11-05-2013, 09:07 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,721,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Not even close.

How Much Do We Spend on the Nonworking Poor? | Mother Jones

About 5% of federal spending goes to people who theoretically could work, but don't. A lot of those people simply cannot find jobs, but let's say 1/2 of them are outright slackers, or welfare queens as you say.

That means that 2.5% of the budget is wasted.

If you earn $50k, are married, have one kid, and no deductions, your federal tax bill will be $2023. Most people will pay less than that.

The 'wasted' portion of 2.5% comes to $51.00.

I am perfectly willing to waste $51/year to make sure that other, legitimately hungry people, who through no fault of their own are unemployed, get a decent meal.

If you earn less than $50k, your contribution is even lower.
As am I. I know someone that has horrible type 1 diabetes and has random seizures because of it. He has been homeless several times. Someone like this I am ok to be on welfare. He isn't doing drugs or anything weird, he just unlucky in his situation.

Republicans answer
"Well make him a janitor or something."

So he can slip and break his neck? Dumbest **** I hear from you guys in red.

PS. I am not a Democrat. Just a heads up.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,045,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Most people taking government money are the old folks on Social Security. A lot of them don't even need it. If you want to have a discussion about welfare, that's the place to begin.
Actually, most folks taking money from the government are military contractors, the very rich, and very, very big corporations.

The rest are merely drops in the bucket -- social security recipients paid in, after all. They held their end of the bargain, why shouldn't they expect the government to do the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment