Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 05:47 AM

30,157 posts, read 25,282,730 times

Advertisements

Make sure you guys vote for the most radical, left wing politicians who will put an end to these awful business owners once and for all. That will work out awesome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 08:05 AM

641 posts, read 1,025,787 times
the type of people that are successful do not have time to be on here complaining, they just do...

Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 AM

788 posts, read 1,255,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Make sure you guys vote for the most radical, left wing politicians who will put an end to these awful business owners once and for all. That will work out awesome
It would be fun to see America become the Russia of 1917.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:26 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,286,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

There aren't any in the U.S. Bernie Sanders is about as far left as you get for the U.S. and he doesn't have any interest is upsetting corporate America.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:36 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,833,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Just saw this yesterday. Sums everything up perfectly.

Ask The Headhunter: Unemployment -- made in America by employers | PBS NewsHour

I totally agree with that article and it's been basically what I have been saying for years now. HR and management at companies don't know how to hire. They think Taleo and three rounds of interviews with canned questions is going to find them some sort of perfect person. They have tried to take out the humanistic element out of it and turn it into some sort of robot system.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:39 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,833,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This has been a issue for many decades. How to get experience when you need experience to get the job.

The vast majority of people I know did so through internships.

Unfortunately, the courts are making unpaid internships more difficult, but still, internships are out there and available. Do them in your summers between semesters and that first year (if you don't have a job) or two right after undergrad. It got my foot in the door and I am far from alone.
Uhm I'm over 35 every white collar internship position I have ever read wants someone around 20 years old besides what adult can live without a normal income? In the blue collar world apprenticeships are becoming a thing of the past and they're now jobs you were born into just because your daddy did it. I just truly think most of the problems right now are due to the employers.

Small mom and pop companies I consider an exception and I give a lot of the retail companies a pass although I don't get why they lean so much towards part time work instead of a smaller crew of dedicated full timers. It's cheaper to pay one guy 60 hours a week than 3 people 20 hours a week so yeah in a way the big box stores don't make any sense either.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 11-07-2013 at 09:49 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,286,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Uhm I'm over 35 every white collar internship position I have ever read wants someone around 20 years old besides what adult can live without a normal income? In the blue collar world apprenticeships are becoming a thing of the past and they're now jobs you were born into just because your daddy did it.

Well sure, those are things you do during college or right after.
I did them primarily 21-23. If you're 35 I suspect you have a fair amount of experience already. Changing fields is tough, unless you go get a grad degree that makes it relevant, and then you could do internships while in grad school or do research projects that may count as experience.

Who said you live without a normal income? Most internships are paid now (courts cracked down), but mine were unpaid. I did them during the day and worked a job after that (3-4 weekdays and a full weekend day, usually). 30-40 hour internship and 40 or so hours work. I got by ok even though my internships were unpaid, most people can. You need roommates, but with that much work you don't go out much which saves money. It is only temporary to get the needed experience.

I don't know about the blue collar field.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:31 PM

994 posts, read 1,599,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
28 million companies all have the politicians on the payroll? Damn I guess I missed my payment and payoff from my representatives.

so you want to be realistic, how many mortgage companies actually had people convicted of committing a crime in origination? How many energy companies were caught cooking the books? How many telecom companies? How many accounting firms were found to be complicit in the whole thing.

Let me put it this way, let's say 2 restaurants in your area were caught using a faulty refrigerator and were making people sick, while the health inspector for 1 was caught taking bribes, and the other health inspector was going home and playing video games as opposed to doing inspections. Now who is at fault? Personally I say both the restaurants and the health inspectors.

Now in this scenario lets say the owners of the restaurants had multiple problems with their food handling process and their kitchen systems, and so the got a nice large fine which shut down their business. Fair enough right? I would not have a problem with that, but that is not where it ended.

Now lets say a politician representing that area of your state heard about it, and needed something to get elected on since he had done basically nothing in his 2 years at the state house, and he wanted to make a name for himself. So he passes a new law that every restaurant in the state has to purchase a brand new refrigeration system, new stove tops, and hire consultants to come in every 2 months to make sure everything was clean and working properly, and to top it off instead of having quarterly inspections they now have inspections every month. So in other words every restaurant in the state is paying a huge cost due to 2 places having bad standards.

Of course some restaurants cannot afford these new upgrades and fees for consultants so they are forced to shut down, the chain/corporate stores though can afford the costs and immediately upgrade, the restaurants that could not afford to operate any longer have just laid off all their staff, so now their are trained chefs/cooks, waitstaff, managers, bartenders, and even dishwashers floating all around the state, and the remaining restaurants know it, so they lower their pay a little bit knowing there is staff waiting to take the job if it opens up.

Now of course to add to it, everybody blames those small restaurants, and stop eating at those places, only going to large chain corporate restaurants, causing even more restaurants to close, and allowing those corporate restaurants to hire their pick of employees for even cheaper and causing the mid and lower level to struggle to get jobs. Now who is to blame? The corporate restaurants for doing what they promise their shareholders? All the restaurants who had additional costs and are now forced to cut pay and costs as they struggle to cover the new regulations? the politician who overreacted and got votes from it? The general public who believe the politician that all the restaurants were bad? The media who got behind the politician? Tell me who do you blame?

Now you sitting there saying that nothing like that could happen? You may be right with restaurants, but did you know that in the state of Colorado 42,000 people were employed by mortgage brokers in 2006? Out of those less then 150 of those people were convicted of wrong doing in the mortgage business. Thats right less then 0.35% not even 1 half of 1 percent did anything illegal despite the witch hunt and hundreds of thousands of audited files of mortgage brokers, and it was that way across the country. yet now mortgage brokers employ less then 10% of what they did just 7 years ago, their costs of staying in compliance have climbed through the roof, going from what used to cost me a $2400 a year retainer for a lawyer and an errors and omissions policy for $500 total for my company up to what is now my company paying $7200 for a lawyer, $700 for insurance per loan officer, licensing costs of about $300 per loan officer, continuing education of about $200 a year per loan officer, in other words the total cost to keep my office and the loan officers that once worked for me employed today would be right around $28,500 a year for what once cost me $2900 a year. even still with all the new regulations, many in the public will still not do business with those small mortgage brokers, instead insisting on only using large national lenders, as they were not to blame according to the media who were gathering advertising dollars from them and the politicians who were taking their donations.

Now you want to ***** about greedy corporations, yet ignore the fact that it was less then 1/2 of 1 percent that knew anything about what was happening in the corporations that committed horrible acts. A handful of people in Enron, Worldcom, TYCO and all the other huge scandalous corporations even had an idea of what was going on, and their competition had no idea either and did nothing to compete with those who were doing wrong. Yet those people who did wrong ended up in jail or committing suicide in most cases, why? Was it because they were breaking the laws? So if the laws on the books would have been enforced by those overseeing these companies at the SEC, what would have been the result? So why do we need more laws if the SEC employees would have done their jobs?

Yet blame it on all the companies who have never been shown to have done anything wrong, after all 1/2 of 1% is enough to show how evil all those mean corporations are.
I do agree with some of your post here. In my opinion I think regulatory law needs to be fair to the industries it employs while at the same time being outside of them. I don't want the restauranteur making the rules for food safety and I want the health department to not run the restauranteur out the door! I think a lot of the problems in society come from corruption and America's tolerance and even acceptance of it and I think your post at least talks a bit about it.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:57 PM

30,157 posts, read 25,282,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
In the blue collar world apprenticeships are becoming a thing of the past and they're now jobs you were born into just because your daddy did it. I just truly think most of the problems right now are due to the employers.
How many blue collar jobs have you had or applied to exactly? More often than not, employers are asking for experience from potential applicants. This can be acquired through votech, as many do recruit or take leads from teachers. Others enter apprenticeships after performing lesser jobs for a period of months or perhaps years. Nobody is placed into an apprenticeship because their dad worked the same job. This is not any indication of the applicant's worth.

I do understand the challenging environment we are dealing with but... If the employers are finding the candidates they desire, how exactly are they the source of the problem?

Old 11-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Status: "Democracies tend to decline into despotism. (Aristotle)" (set 6 days ago)

16,227 posts, read 11,449,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
It would be fun to see America become the Russia of 1917.
More likely that it would become the Russia of 1993.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment