Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 02:31 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,315,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
You may not owe me a job, but society sure as heck does. How will I eat, clothe and house myself? Oh yeah, there's the government to help folks like me. That's all fine and dandy until people like you start b*tching about how your taxes go to support deadbeats like me - one only has to look at the bitter political divide in this country today to see how that's panning out. So, either way, you've gotta pay the price to ensure social justice. Either hire one or two people out of fifty or a hundred that really could use a job, and prevent those people from going on the dole, or put us "undesirables" out on the street, leaving us *no choice* but to get the government to support us. The government then turns to you, the one with money, and takes it and gives it to people like me. Is that's what you really want? If so, that's great, as that's exactly what you'll get. And eventually, as time goes on, we'll be living in a Marxist paradise, it'll be fine and dandy for me, as I'm used to being poor, but "productive" folks like you aren't gonna be liking it too much, I don't think.

Really, the choice (collectively) is yours. Start hiring, hire big, and hire generously, and turn this country around, or just go on being uber-picky and stingy as all-get out, making communism look more and more attractive to the rest of us. Again, the choice is yours...
You're pretty much correct. I made this post in another thread about this economic paradigm not being sustainable:

Bottom line is the economy is set up as musical chairs. Only 2 or 3 in 10 people will find fully sustainable positions where they can live fairly comfortably and well and raise a family. The next 2 or 3 will manage, probably not be a burden and struggle but will survive O.K. the rest will need assistance at some point or just be a burden on the system. It is as it is with the current world economic environment and barring radical structural changes will only get worse and deteriorate further until something gives/breaks.

It's not a sustainable economic paradigm. Not even close. And there are people, many in fact, sounding the alarm now. And it's not just Alex Jones, Gerald Celente and Peter Schiff. There are scores of knowledgeable people all over the internet and alternative media sounding the alarm that the day of reckoning is getting closer by the hour.

Here's a chart that shows how skewed wealth distribution is right now. That is a result of the increasing income gap and economic policies that favor the super rich:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 960$sx720$s and weights 136$sKB.

Everyone under the top 20% has had their share of total income decrease since the 70s:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/shutdo...130005719.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 02:31 PM

542 posts, read 1,548,513 times
Quote:
I'd take this a whole lot more seriously if it wasn't for Big Capital running to our government for bail-outs when they've screwed up. So if they have the right to do that, why am I not entitled to do the same?

So, don't expect me to take you seriously at all, not now, not forever.

The big boys don't earn what they have, they change the system so it suits them best. Well, I'm saying, let's change the system to benefit folks like me, instead of filthy rich bankers and numbskull CEO's. Fair's fair, in my book.

As long as I see this go on, I will never, ever change my attitude - and you can take that to the bank.
You're clearly still in the "woe is me" victim mentality. Keep blaming everyone else, let me know how that works out for you. Based on the other comments here, I'm obviously not the only one who thinks you need to knock off the entitlement mentality.

Remember, you can't fail at something until you quit trying.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:49 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,315,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Sounds like just another excuse to live off the taxpayers to me.
You are entitled to your attitude but I seriously doubt it will help you to get a job.
In the current system large swaths of people will need to live off the taxpayers. It's the whole wage structure and economic paradigm, it is not structurally sustainable, period.

Even if this person took your advice and improved their "skills" and moved up you would still have another person take their place and be in the same position. There are only so many that can be in the top 20% only 2 in 10 as a matter of fact. The wage structure is as the wage structure is and only 40% or so of jobs pay a self-sustaining wage, at least in the northeast cost of living area.

That's why the elite want to kill 10's of millions of people. They believe what I just wrote. Kissinger has said as much. But their solution is not to find a humane way to correct the current situation but to kill on a mass scale.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:35 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie Girl View Post
You're clearly still in the "woe is me" victim mentality. Keep blaming everyone else, let me know how that works out for you. Based on the other comments here, I'm obviously not the only one who thinks you need to knock off the entitlement mentality.

Remember, you can't fail at something until you quit trying.
Why don't you knock off the personal attacks? I'm disabled, by the way, and yet I want to work in order to earn a living. So, you have NO right to call me "entitled", plain and simple.

Too bad there's not a negative karma system on here, it'd come in handy right now.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:47 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Why don't you knock off the personal attacks? I'm disabled, by the way, and yet I want to work in order to earn a living. So, you have NO right to call me "entitled", plain and simple.

Too bad there's not a negative karma system on here, it'd come in handy right now.
So beacuse your disabled that makes ot alright to force employers to give you a job you are not qualifed for, that they do not need, and for only your benefit? Pathetic!

Old 11-05-2013, 03:50 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
So beacuse your disabled that makes ot alright to force employers to give you a job you are not qualifed for, that they do not need, and for only your benefit? Pathetic!
But it's okay for employers to force people who are able and willing to work and who do have useful skills to struggle to survive on part-time work or nothing at all because the jobs are gone... moved to nations with slave wages or simply vanished.

Ah, but I forget - everything is okay so long as some business profits, and the tens of millions of Americans out of work just need to "start their own business" - it'll pay their bills overnight and we'll all be rich!?

Old 11-05-2013, 03:55 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I'm glad you acknowledged the part about how businesses are not owed a profit. That's one thing the capitalism/free market preachers always forget to mention. In a true free market you can't make deals with politicians to pass laws that prevents people from out competing you. That's another one the capitalists forget to mention. In a real free market there is no bailouts, no handouts, no "the government has to train my workers", etc. You are on your own. Literally.
Bingo.

What we have now is crony-capitalism heading into fascism. The businesses rewrite the laws to guarantee themselves a profit using every trick in the book: Bailouts, illegals, visa workers, out-sourcing, taxpayers subsidizing people starving on minimum wage, etc.

What is really sad, however is how so many people are just fine with this. They are okay with the nation being gutted so long as "somebody makes money" and their stocks go up. They are okay with staggering unemployment and underemployment because those people are all "useless welfare bums with no skills" - so long as it doesn't happen to them, of course. And the list just keeps going... the final irony is how many of them want to get rid of government entirely and just cut to the chase and let business run everything.... It's bad enough that they think "government bad / corporations good" when the corps own the government, but it is worse that they want to give up what say we still have and just let everything be done strictly in the name of short-term profit. It's just appalling...

Old 11-05-2013, 04:13 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
But it's okay for employers to force people who are able and willing to work and who do have useful skills to struggle to survive on part-time work or nothing at all because the jobs are gone... moved to nations with slave wages or simply vanished.

Ah, but I forget - everything is okay so long as some business profits, and the tens of millions of Americans out of work just need to "start their own business" - it'll pay their bills overnight and we'll all be rich!?
You just don't get it: unfortunately for all of us, most of the disposable income is chasing either "personal services" which no one wants to be stuck with providing (at a low wage), or miracles that science and technology have yet to develop.

If you want a bigger income, get some training in a field where you can provide something somebody actually wants to buy. But unfortunately, most of those jobs (health care being the prime example) are stressful, emotinally depressing, or just plain tedious.

"We have met the enemy and he is us" (Walt Kelly--cartoonist--1971)

Old 11-05-2013, 04:22 PM

788 posts, read 1,248,880 times
Quote:
As long as I see this go on, I will never, ever change my attitude - and you can take that to the bank.
Quote:
I'm disabled, by the way,
I guess I was wrong, you ARE a deadbeat. With your attitude and entitlement, we have no right to ask you anything. We should just hand you a mountain of gold. And perhaps the keys to the White House, while we are at it.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:31 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight;32103829

As long as I see this go on, I will [B
never, ever[/b] change my attitude - and you can take that to the bank.
At least we won't be standing in line at the bank behind you on payday based on your anguish at not finding a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment