Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,536,572 times

Advertisements

A proposed bill that I hope fails.

Bill would allow bosses to seek Facebook passwords | Seattle Times Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 02:23 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,524,125 times
Hasn't succeeded anywhere else.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
Actually, our state government sucks in many ways. On the other hand, as a boss myself, this doesn't seem out of line to me if you read the law. It does not allow employers to get a password any time they want, to use in hiring or performance evaluation. Only when there is a specific investigation where the information could be relevant.

"...allegations of workplace misconduct or giving away an employer’s proprietary information. The amendment would require an investigation to ensure compliance with laws or regulatory requirements.
Under the amendment, employees would be present when their social-network profiles are searched and whatever information found is kept confidential, unless it is relevant to a criminal investigation."

Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,442,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Actually, our state government sucks in many ways. On the other hand, as a boss myself, this doesn't seem out of line to me if you read the law. It does not allow employers to get a password any time they want, to use in hiring or performance evaluation. Only when there is a specific investigation where the information could be relevant.

"...allegations of workplace misconduct or giving away an employer’s proprietary information. The amendment would require an investigation to ensure compliance with laws or regulatory requirements.
Under the amendment, employees would be present when their social-network profiles are searched and whatever information found is kept confidential, unless it is relevant to a criminal investigation."
Why is this any of the employer's business? What need would an employer have to dig into someone's personal Facebook profile for an investigation that has to do with the person's employment?

Can someone provide an example of how this could be used legitimately?

This is another reason to lock up your profile nice and tight and to use the Internet wisely. Do not post any incriminating evidence (smoking weed, pic posted of you at a carnival when you were supposed to be at work, etc.) Of course, I can't help everyone with common sense; some will always fall through the cracks.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,536,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

Yea, however, if an employer wants to bully someone, they will use that clause for anything, no matter how trivial it appears.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:15 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,607,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
WA is a great state... I'm proud to be a citizen of the only state in the union where assisted suicide, gay marriage AND marijuana are ALL legal.

BTW, I'm happy with my life.. heterosexual and don't smoke weed... and that Facebook law would never pass.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 PM

29,855 posts, read 24,959,060 times
That will never pass. On the other hand, I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before the government can demand your facebook password. Heck, they probably just hack in without it, and don't need to mess around with any silly privacy laws.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:44 PM

340 posts, read 914,451 times
This was allowed in Michigan for a short time.

I had a friend interviewing for a private sector job. Before the bill banning this was enacted, they requested his facebook username/password. He supplied it, knowing that if he didn't, someone else just as qualified would be willing to supply it. Of course there wasn't anything terribly lude on there, but there were pictures of him drinking (of age), and other party pictures.

As soon we he got out of the interview he called me and told me to go on to his account and delete anything that could be considered bad.

A week after this interview, a bill was passed banning this practice.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:57 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,585,849 times
From the article:

Quote:
The amendment says an employer conducting an investigation may require or demand access to a personal account if an employee or prospective employee has allegations of workplace misconduct or giving away an employer’s proprietary information.
Not sure who would be stupid enough to use Facebook to broadcast any of this type of info. I wonder, though, where would it stop? Access to cell phone records, text messages, email accounts? All of this is accessible now, but only with the appropriate search warrant.

If anything like this bill were to pass, it would just lead to employees creating multiple shadow or fake accounts. Useless.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,715,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
From the article:

Not sure who would be stupid enough to use Facebook to broadcast any of this type of info. I wonder, though, where would it stop? Access to cell phone records, text messages, email accounts? All of this is accessible now, but only with the appropriate search warrant.

If anything like this bill were to pass, it would just lead to employees creating multiple shadow or fake accounts. Useless.
This just further proves the absolute stupidity of certain elected officials. As you pointed out, how is Facebook any different than email, postal mail, or any other means of private communication. A company would never be granted a wiretap to conduct an internal investigation, they would be laughed out of court if they tried. I don't see why social media is any different. This reminds of the congress woman who claimed the high capacity magazines would disappear once all of the bullets are fired from them. If you are too dense to understand the basic concepts of what it is you are trying to regulate you have no business trying to regulate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment