Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:35 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,584,906 times

Advertisements

If this became real..........I would contact some friends.........maybe you have heard of them.......they were funny masks and they have some really good computer skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 10:40 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,462,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
If this became real..........I would contact some friends.........maybe you have heard of them.......they were funny masks and they have some really good computer skills.
They possess quite a veil of anonymity, I bet.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:45 PM

32 posts, read 103,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Actually, our state government sucks in many ways. On the other hand, as a boss myself, this doesn't seem out of line to me if you read the law. It does not allow employers to get a password any time they want, to use in hiring or performance evaluation. Only when there is a specific investigation where the information could be relevant.

"...allegations of workplace misconduct or giving away an employer’s proprietary information. The amendment would require an investigation to ensure compliance with laws or regulatory requirements.
Under the amendment, employees would be present when their social-network profiles are searched and whatever information found is kept confidential, unless it is relevant to a criminal investigation."

Bull **** .
They are going to need to find other means of figuring out whatever it is.
A persons facebook is off limits to workplace whatever'.
If the law needs to investigate a crime that is one thing.
But if you were ever my boss I'd sue you and assure that your company was reported to the better business bureau.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:42 AM

884 posts, read 1,179,020 times
These kinds of things seem like slippery slopes, it's not enough that you have to watch what you say on FB so as not to talk badly about your employer...since you apparently reflect on them even off the clock (and I get that, I don't trash my employer online either--sometimes I vent to my friends via FB messages or on closed/secret groups, I guess they could dig around and find those if they really wanted to, they wouldn't find anything beyond "I've been so stressed lately" or "I am so tired from staying up half the day and working all night" though)...but it's like some companies want to totally own you outside the workplace, they want you to watch everything you say, post, and do because if you do something bad you reflect badly on them--if they don't like what you're doing, they can give you the axe and replace you with someone willing to do the job for less pay. It's like you don't belong to yourself anymore, but your employer. I know we're a ways off from Jennifer Government but...it's still scary.

Maybe I am just paranoid...

Old 04-05-2013, 12:39 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,255,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Hopefully, it will fail. If it passes, then they ought to also allow workers to view their managers' Facebook passwords. It is only fair. These issues are a two-way street! Why should managers be immune from social network spying if workers are not? Either do it for neither (preferably) or for both. They can already do a full background check and that should be enough.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 PM

10,848 posts, read 15,008,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
My question is why would anyone older than 14 have anything to do with facebook?

Old 04-05-2013, 01:26 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,312,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
My question is why would anyone older than 14 have anything to do with facebook?
Possibly because they might want to be employable and be in touch with reality.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Possibly because they might want to be employable and be in touch with reality.
So you're not employable without Facebook? LOL

I better tell my boss.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,312,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
So you're not employable without Facebook? LOL

I better tell my boss.
You'd be making your own bed. It depends on the job. As a janitor, your boss could probably care less. In IT, your boss would care more.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You'd be making your own bed. It depends on the job. As a janitor, your boss could probably care less. In IT, your boss would care more.
Sorry guy. I highly doubt that. Unless your job requires you to have FB for some unusual reason, most employers are not going to fire you or not hire you because you don't have a FB profile. If you care about having social media as a professional, join LinkedIn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment