Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:02 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,716,881 times

Advertisements

I have heard of people working certain jobs (UPS, some retailers) part time or even close to full time just for health benefits.

Has anyone ever considered, or heard of, working part-time or on a consulting basis for health insurance only? The people in the above paragraph get paid, albeit sometimes very little, for the work they do. Ever heard of someone working just so they are compensated with the ability to have health insurance?

If I could do this, I certainly would.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 08:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,905,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I have heard of people working certain jobs (UPS, some retailers) part time or even close to full time just for health benefits.

Has anyone ever considered, or heard of, working part-time or on a consulting basis for health insurance only? The people in the above paragraph get paid, albeit sometimes very little, for the work they do. Ever heard of someone working just so they are compensated with the ability to have health insurance?

What do you think?
Why not just use county services? Little or no premiums, deductibles, or co-pays.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why not just use county services? Little or no premiums, deductibles, or co-pays.
Nothing like that is available where I live.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:12 PM

10,837 posts, read 14,966,176 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Depends on your circumstances.

Depending on your age and size of family good quality health insurance with low deductibles and co-pays can easily cost anywhere from $700 to $1,200 per month depending on where you live. If the employer pays the value to the employee can be $1,300 for a policy costing $1,000 once you factor in income and social security taxes. If you are married, work a job where your employer does not provide health insurance the perfect deal would be for your wife to work half time just for benefits.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Depends on your circumstances.

Depending on your age and size of family good quality health insurance with low deductibles and co-pays can easily cost anywhere from $700 to $1,200 per month depending on where you live. If the employer pays the value to the employee can be $1,300 for a policy costing $1,000 once you factor in income and social security taxes. If you are married, work a job where your employer does not provide health insurance the perfect deal would be for your wife to work half time just for benefits.
Here's the situation. I am married, two kids. My wife is a small business owner who brings in most of the money in the household, but running a business takes a lot of money. I am underemployed (freelance writer, editor, several other underground ways to make money), but haven't been able to find any kind of full-time or part time job that provides any health care benefits.

We have no health insurance at all. I have a chronic condition that requires medicine. Open market rate health insurance with dental and prescription plan would cost us about $1200 a month, which we cannot afford. Hence the need for a creative solution.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:40 PM

10,837 posts, read 14,966,176 times
Quote:
Here's the situation. I am married, two kids. My wife is a small business owner who brings in most of the money in the household, but running a business takes a lot of money. I am underemployed (freelance writer, editor, several other underground ways to make money), but haven't been able to find any kind of full-time or part time job that provides any health care benefits.

We have no health insurance at all. I have a chronic condition that requires medicine. Open market rate health insurance with dental and prescription plan would cost us about $1200 a month, which we cannot afford. Hence the need for a creative solution.
I feel for you dude, it sucks.

I have had to deal with the same thing, having a family member with a chronic preexisting condition requiring medication is tougher than most would believe until they have traveled the road.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,150,428 times
Have you looked at working early morning stock at JC Penney's? 20 hours a week and you'll have benefits. UPS also offers benefits to p/t workers, as does Publix and Wegmans if you are near either of them.

None of them are particulaly difficult to get in to, and seem to be constantly hiring.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Have you looked at working early morning stock at JC Penney's? 20 hours a week and you'll have benefits. UPS also offers benefits to p/t workers, as does Publix and Wegmans if you are near either of them.

None of them are particulaly difficult to get in to, and seem to be constantly hiring.
I live very close to a Whole Foods and a Wegmans. I have tried the former, no luck. I will try the latter. Nothing available at UPS either.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,905,320 times
Quote:
Nothing like that is available where I live.
What happens when people who are uninsured get sick or injured?

Old 02-20-2010, 05:09 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,150,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What happens when people who are uninsured get sick or injured?
It depends. Most often they don't pay the hospital bill and the hospital eats it, causing higher medical costs for everyone else. Sometimes they just go without care. Sometimes they borrow someone elses health insurance and commit fraud. And if they are ill with something like cancer, they can generally get medicaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment