Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,135 times

Advertisements

No the employer has not shown total confidence. They made a mistake and it was not an intent to cause issue that caused the mistake...usually when payroll departments rush to get things out quickly, mistakes happen.

However, the company made an honest mistake and corrected it. OP's thought process was intentional. If she made a mistake and cost the company the amount of her paycheck, she probably would not be fired. But intentionally taking the amount of her check...big difference.

So, I guess what I am saying is that the company made a mistake. OP made an intentional decision. Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 08:55 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
She should be fired because of the moral character, or rather lack thereof, was shown clearly in her behavior.

Yes, employees are dishonest, some are worse than she is...but if an employer knows about an employee and knows they will do something like this, getting rid of the employee before they have the chance to do harm makes sense
Respectfully, I disagree. IMHO, one of the benefits of boards like this is the chance to think out loud. You do that at work, and depending on who has a knife aimed at your back, you're cooked. For that reason, in many workplaces, the conversation is entirely scripted. Probably, rightly so.

So, where else do you get a chance to pose what-if scenarios?

Quite frankly, I do not have the time to pore over my checking account or online bank statement. For those working two jobs, that time is just not available. For those in jobs that never end (proposal writing - order follow up - prospecting - fielding HQ requirements) the days are spent in customer contact and the nights are spent getting those pieces of the work done. That time is just not available. I may not have noticed the error until I gritted my teeth and sat down with a pot of very strong coffee to do my quarterly review of personal administrative cr*p, the time for which has to come out of sleeping.

In science, engineering, and computer science it's taken as truth that you don't draw conclusions on the basis of no evidence. Not finding a hypothetical bacterial strain in a culture could mean it doesn't exist, or it could mean you have the wrong culture. Not finding the structural flaw in a bridge could mean the bridge is in fact sound, or it could mean you haven't looked in the right place. We all know this, at some level.

For these reasons, IMHO, we would be incorrect to draw conclusions about a person's character on the basis of no notification to the employer, coupled with what could well have been a speculative question thrown into the cloud.

We are ALL in a world of hurt once we are condemned on the basis of our thoughts. (I remember more than once thinking "I'd like to choke that kid!!!" over the years.)

Old 11-27-2012, 11:49 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How do you identify people from fictitious screennames? For example, if jerseygal4u applied for a job with you, how would you know it was her?
That's a good question. He won't know.
All he knows is the information I type on this board.
For all he knows,I could be a woman in Sweden.
Some of these people on this board. They come up with some "weird stuff".

Old 11-27-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
No the employer has not shown total confidence. They made a mistake and it was not an intent to cause issue that caused the mistake...usually when payroll departments rush to get things out quickly, mistakes happen.

However, the company made an honest mistake and corrected it. OP's thought process was intentional. If she made a mistake and cost the company the amount of her paycheck, she probably would not be fired. But intentionally taking the amount of her check...big difference.

So, I guess what I am saying is that the company made a mistake. OP made an intentional decision. Big difference.
How did I make an intentional decision when I didn't even touch the money?

Old 11-27-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
First of all, "swap some vacation time" for the overpayment is still b.s. It was NOT nor was it EVER, your money. Stop trying to back peddle. You had every intention of keeping that money....here's your very first post:

You were going to steal it by keeping it knowing damn good and well it wasn't yours. We absolutely comprehend what you wrote just fine.
I keep asking you,how do YOU know I had every intention of keeping the money?
Esp when I asked IF I should notify them or shut up and enjoy?
By asking,you should assume I didn't know what to do,and was going to take the advice of you all.

People didn't even give me time to respond BEFORE making my decision.
Sure,just jump on someone for thoughts,freaking thoughts.
I hope you never had a bad thought. Otherwise,according to you,you are guilty.
But hey,you admitted to having major mental illness.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You considering stealing says a lot about you. I think people have every right to condemn you for even asking that question. If you really think you 'deserve' more money, get off your a** and look for a new job that pays more money. You chose to work where you do, so don't complain about the money or benefits.

As a side note, threads like this are exactly why I spend an hour or so searching online for candidates' activities on forums/message boards before extending offers for interviews. What a person says (or posts) when they think no one knows who they are says volumes for who they really are.
Luckily for all of us,you can't gett arrested for considering a sin.
Btw,I have a second job,if you had read my posts. I work 70 to 80 hrs a week.
Got anything else to say,Mr Righteous?

I guess you never lusted after a woman?
If you considered it,you are already guilty.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Stop acting as if you live to some higher moral standard. An HONEST person would not have even questioned it, they would have contacted the company right away....even if it "wasn't open", email and messages work 24 hours a day.

You are not some victim here. You were going to keep it and you wanted people to laugh and tell you it was ok.
Let me get this through your thick skull.

I am a nurse. The scheduler is only there if you are calling out of a shift,or pt emergencies.
She can only access that side. She cannot do anything with payroll. Why? She can't access that side.
There is only one number available. The office number I call during business hrs is the same number we access the scheduler from. So there isn't an answering machine. The lady is on call all weekend.
In the oreintation packet it tell you all issues with payroll contact the office during business hours.
Geez.

Now take you meds,or are you off them again?

Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 AM

431 posts, read 474,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I don't know if its wise to ask another employee.
We can get fired on the spot for disussing salary and hourly pay rates.
I did have another coworker tell me she was also collecting unemployment,but I didn't feel it was my place to say anything.
thats illegal
report it to the authorities immediatly
if you saw a man steal from a store would you report it? same thing
not your place
so if i saw somebody STEAL something of yours i need not tell you cus its not my place ???/

Old 11-28-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
She should be fired because of the moral character, or rather lack thereof, was shown clearly in her behavior.

Yes, employees are dishonest, some are worse than she is...but if an employer knows about an employee and knows they will do something like this, getting rid of the employee before they have the chance to do harm makes sense
So let's see. Should the payroll staff get fired since they showed incompetence by paying out the company money twice?

Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
thats illegal
report it to the authorities immediatly
if you saw a man steal from a store would you report it? same thing
not your place
so if i saw somebody STEAL something of yours i need not tell you cus its not my place ???/
If you saw your friend's husband cheating on his wife,(and you knew them well) would you tell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment