Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:11 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,443,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonia112 View Post
Nasty and wrong. Kinda sad but you keep posting even if nobody wants to hear your opinion anymore. yes you are right in being evil and nasty. But thats about it
Well, I am sure there are a number of people, now and in the future, will benefit from reality vs. "but I am a MOM you have to work around me". But as I said, you didn't hear what you wanted to hear, so you attack the person telling you the truths.

And as you have mentioned, you have an ex in the military, yet somehow he did all this to you and isn't paying support.

You are the only one here who believes that.

As for my being wrong...how is that job? You know, the one you have no hours at for the next 2 weeks? They come to their senses and realize you are right? Didn't think so.

Best of luck...oh, and being unable to work so you lost your job will DISQUALIFY you for unemployment too. And I am not wrong there either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,807,067 times
Quote:
Nasty and wrong. Kinda sad but you keep posting even if nobody wants to hear your opinion anymore. yes you are right in being evil and nasty. But thats about it
People telling you that you're right isn't going to get you back on the schedule.

When you work in retail/restaurant type jobs those normally require weekends.

And a business such as a deli is going to schedule people when they need them.

You need to find a way if you want to continue with this job to find someone or work something out with your ex-husband in regards to weekends.

If you want Mon-Fri during the day then you need to look at office jobs. Perhaps there are some civilian jobs on the base that you could apply for.

Or look around for a deli job or a bakery job that has limited hours. As I mentioned earlier I have a deli in my area that is closed on weekends and only open in the mornings and closes by mid afternoon, as they cater to a working crowd.

But you have to make the changes, the employer isn't going to.

The Bunny only told you the truth.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:21 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,079,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
People telling you that you're right isn't going to get you back on the schedule.

But you have to make the changes, the employer isn't going to.

The Bunny only told you the truth.
Exactly. Each time someone says something she likes encouraging her in her unwinnable battle vs the employer, she needs to say "How many more hours of work did the comment get me?"

Answer: 0

Old 06-22-2012, 12:48 PM

123 posts, read 123,158 times
Well I hope everything turns out good. I got this job only to find later a better one. Im a dentist assistant, got a lot of experience with customer care and sale. I worked at my church for a year with the kids and I speak german, spanish and english fluent. I just live in small town and there are not great work options. I cant move somewhere else cause my ex husband and i have joined custody.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:58 PM

553 posts, read 1,216,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Exactly. Each time someone says something she likes encouraging her in her unwinnable battle vs the employer, she needs to say "How many more hours of work did the comment get me?"

On its face, what OP posted looks as if she is without legal leverage against her employer in most, if not all, jurisdictions. But here is the problem with telling her that her situation is unwinnable:

Employment relationships are regulated by a very complex set of laws that exist simultaneously on a national, state, and local level. If you don't know all of those laws that apply to OP, you don't know all of her rights. Likewise, she has only given few facts. There may be more that she has not shared. She may not even know what facts need to be shared to give an accurate evaluation of her situation. Even if you know all the laws, you still can't give OP a specific and competent opinion about her "rights" without knowing all the facts. So giving her an unqualified opinion that she loses could prevent her from obtaining the best resolution to her problem. The same is true of giving her an unqualified opinion that she wins (although I have not seen that i this thread).

Regardless of whether she has a dead bang winner or loser of a case or somewhere in between, compromise is where the most likely resolution will be found. Some here have offered reasonable compromise suggestions. But whether they make the most sense for OP still depends on the strength or weakness of her bargaining position. And that depends on not only her legal rights but also her personal situation. Again, because we don't -- and should not -- know all of these things based on information shared on a publc forum, advice to OP should be limited to more general information.

The only specific advice that is appropriate is to tell OP to seek counsel from someone who has sufficient ability to gather ALL the relevant information needed to help OP resolve her problem.

That is not to say that valuable adviice cannot be offered here. It can. And it has been. But if you really want to help OP, keeping the advice general or with a lot of qualifications is the way to do it.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

But look at her response below yours...a list of all the reasons she is fantastic and it is unfair.

She still sees it as an unfair and horrible employer who is going to come to their senses. You would think as OP sits at home not on the schedule she would figure out that she is NOT indespensable. Yet, somehow, the taking off the schedule and the hiring of 2 other employees weren't big enough clues.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:38 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,079,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
But look at her response below yours...a list of all the reasons she is fantastic and it is unfair.

She still sees it as an unfair and horrible employer who is going to come to their senses. You would think as OP sits at home not on the schedule she would figure out that she is NOT indespensable. Yet, somehow, the taking off the schedule and the hiring of 2 other employees weren't big enough clues.
Correct. Its a commissionary, much like retail they can defend their actions as the nature of the work requires scheduling flexibility. So pretending a verbal agreement supercedes that means Michael Moore should be able to claim discrimination if Churchhill Downs will not consider him to work as a jockey.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:07 PM

Thank you coco. Most people her didnt really help, being nasty and judging me with out knowing me. I didnt wanna hear either that Im right just some help what I could do in my situation. Its really sad how some people are thinking they know it all.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:11 PM

I dont think Im fantastic but you arent either with all your comments. I was just saying what kinda experience I got.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Thank you coco. Most people her didnt really help, being nasty and judging me with out knowing me. I didnt wanna hear either that Im right just some help what I could do in my situation. Its really sad how some people are thinking they know it all.
It is sad that you are unwilling to take advice from others. We all helped, you just didn't like what we had to say.

So, how many work hours do you have this week? If the answer is zero, and we all know it is zero, maybe you should guve some thought to the fact that you are NOT handling this in any way that is resulting in your hours.

AS for help in your situation...we have all told you to work weekends or find a new job. Which are you doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment