Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 11:05 PM

553 posts, read 1,208,961 times

Advertisements

Now you are getting closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
It isn't helping the OP when you lead her to believe she has hope with this. All I have ever suggested is that if this job has high value to OP, she should get competent advice about her situation. If the job is not that important, she should not waste anyone's time or money worrying about it. But her interest here makes clear that the issue is important to her. She should be listening to someone who knows all that is necessary to give her sound advice.

This isn't about "good faith" or trying to assume the high moral ground. It is about facts, Right. And until all the facts are known, people should reserve making unequivocal judgments. and frankly, an employer can let you go if you aren't what they want. Not really. In most cases an employer can. In a few cases, an employer cannot. OP needs advice from someone who knows all of the "few cases" in her jurisdiction.

Why should anyone take your advice? The only advice I have been offering is that OP should get specific advice from someone who is competent to give the advice about her situation. I readily admit that I am not competent to give advice to an employee in Alabama other than as I have said here -- find someone who is competent in Alabama.

What they SHOULD do is contact their state labor board or the Federal department of labor. Here is where you are getting really close. Suggesting that the source of advice should be someone with real knowledge. Unfortunately, the people at labor boards only have limited knowledge. They will only talk with you in detail about the laws that the boards enforce. But no board enforces all the laws that apply to the employment relationship. For example, try asking someone at the US Dept. of Labor about your rights to be in a union. You won't get much info other than an instruction to contact the National Labor Relations Board (which is different than the US Dept. of Labor); or ask the NLRB about your right to have a disability accommodated. Again, you won't get much other than to be re-directed to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. And if your state has disability discrimination laws different than the Americans with Disabilities Act, well, the EEOC won't be much help with those state laws.
This stuff is complicated, and quick answers based on incomplete information can be dangerously wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 08:59 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Oh wow, you think you can have a case for anything? You need to look at the labor laws of your state, and most states are very close in nature.

You think a company cares about their reputation, so they are going to go to court with you? You think the court system wants to be tied up with things like this?

If you think it is MY opinion, please call your state's labor board, then call the Federal Dept of Labor and see exactly what they say. Don't take MY word for it.
Having a good case and filing a lawsuit are two vastly different things; which I am sure you are aware.

And I KNOW companies (especially large, well-known corporations who trade on their name) care about their reputation.

Court systems are tied up with a lot of crap that they shouldn't be. You know that, right?

I've seen millions paid when it came down to brass tacks because nobody wanted their name in the news.

In this instance? Doubt it; but that's not my point. The point is OP should not be completely relying on words typed in an anonymous internet message board.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:06 AM

398 posts, read 1,365,804 times
People, people,
The American way is that many U.S. employers can terminate employees at will and many employees can sue their employers and fight for what they believe are their rights.

Sometimes employers win, sometimes employees win, sometimes a compromise or settlement is reached.
What's fair or unfair for either side is irrelevant... it's all about what's best for themselves... That's America.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:01 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
People, people,
The American way is that many U.S. employers can terminate employees at will and many employees can sue their employers and fight for what they believe are their rights.

Sometimes employers win, sometimes employees win, sometimes a compromise or settlement is reached.
What's fair or unfair for either side is irrelevant... it's all about what's best for themselves... That's America.
That's right! That's how it works here in the good ole' USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment