Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:13 PM

553 posts, read 1,216,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonia112 View Post
Since I can't go back to Germany with my kids I'm kinda stuck here. Im still having issues with my ex and I'm going to court again.
I never said that I'm going to sue my boss I was only looking for legal advice . I worked in Germany too and when you agree on a schedule or on days you can't work. The employer can't later on change his mind or taking away hours, that not legal in Germany. I know now how different the states is and how fast you could have a great job and next day you could live on the streets. It's ok thanks for the ones who gave me hope and help. For the other ones it was really entertainment to see you view of life .
Aren't employers in Germany also required to give employees a certain minimum number of weeks for vacation? That is a good example of how different the laws are there than here in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 08:16 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,074,475 times
Quote:
I worked in Germany too and when you agree on a schedule or on days you can't work. .

Not relevent.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:22 PM

123 posts, read 123,133 times
Yes that's true and those are pay vacations. We don't have sick days either if you are sick you got to bring a notice from the doctor and of course the days you are sick at home are paid also . Health insurance are always included in your job with no co payments. Just saying it could be better here .

Old 06-22-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Not relevent.
I know that, but I just wanted to mention it, Usa isn't that place anymore for big dreams and opportunitys. There other places who can manage much better .

Old 06-22-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I know that, but I just wanted to mention it, Usa isn't that place anymore for big dreams and opportunitys. There other places who can manage much better .
Not true for millions of us. The WORLDs economy is tougher than 2007, and there is no telling how much of Germany's money will go in the future to bail out all their derelict neighbors. So benefits provided now in Germany may be gone in a few years. Tough to be the only solvent EU nation.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:37 PM

Not true the million you talking about are not happy with it. Especially people with less income or no help. Most people who come now to the states aren't from Europe but from third counrties.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Not true the million you talking about are not happy with it. Especially people with less income or no help. Most people who come now to the states aren't from Europe but from third counrties.
Millions are happy with it, and very well compensated, at positions requiring significant education and/or training.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:24 PM

6,912 posts, read 22,659,914 times
Quote:
Things always seem brighter when you are a world away!

Old 06-22-2012, 10:38 PM

4,975 posts, read 9,554,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes, they can. An employer can also be sued for any reason ~ AT ANY TIME.

And, guess what? Employers don't like to be sued. IF their behavior was bad enough - a lawsuit can be successful if one has the fortitude to see it through. It depends on how much they value their public reputation and/or how public they are.

OP - I'm not suggesting you have a case in this situation; you probably don't. But please don't take anyone's posting on an internet message board as gospel. It isn't.

You said you have access to free legal advice; so there you go.

It's interesting to read everyone's OPINION; but it is their opinion, nothing more. Take it for what it's worth.

Oh wow, you think you can have a case for anything? You need to look at the labor laws of your state, and most states are very close in nature.

You think a company cares about their reputation, so they are going to go to court with you? You think the court system wants to be tied up with things like this?

If you think it is MY opinion, please call your state's labor board, then call the Federal Dept of Labor and see exactly what they say. Don't take MY word for it.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 PM

4,975 posts, read 9,554,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco6163 View Post
Your points highlight exactly what I am warning against.

I have been continuing my effort here, because despite the tone of what has been sometimes written in this thread, I think all who have contributed have done so with a good faith effort to give their best advice to OP. I am sure many of the contributors make similar contributions on other threads. Despite good intentions, however, the advice can be harmful when it is imprecise, and because of the limitations on a forum like this, imprecise advice is really all we can give. So my sincere hope is that those trying to help this OP and others will take to heart my advice here so that they can better share their knowledge and opinions with this OP and others in the future.

It isn't helping the OP when you lead her to believe she has hope with this.
This isn't about "good faith" or trying to assume the high moral ground. It is about facts, and frankly, an employer can let you go if you aren't what they want.
Why should anyone take your advice? What they SHOULD do is contact their state labor board or the Federal department of labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment