Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:52 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,926,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
He was being sarcastic.
Bingo. It's so easy to fire up the unemployable and unwashed masses on this forum.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:54 AM

382 posts, read 806,349 times
Who is overqualified for these jobs you people speak of??? You all keep saying, "overqualified". Why do you feel that way? Having a bachelors and applying for a clerical job to me isn't over qualified. Having a Medical Degree and applying for a job at Wal-Mart is. Come down to reality people...

Old 06-03-2012, 08:57 AM

The unemployment situation is a blessing for people who are lazy. They can sit around all day and relatively justify their decision. The second somebody comes around and makes a silly comment or tries to give advice, the unemployed get soooooo angry.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:00 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,175,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Hi, troll!

Nice to see you again, back here, bashing the unemployed as usual.

So, are you hiring people? Are you hiring people for multiple jobs that can fill up their work week? Are you hiring surgeons? No, you're not... and you still seem to be flat-out blind to the utter lack of jobs in this nation and the stupid hiring practices (no unemployed need apply, no old people, no overqualified people, etc.) Oh, but wait - you consider dog-walking for $20 a week a job, so yeah... you don't get it.
Rambler123 has it down. The lack of jobs, And the hurdles to finding one. Employers market. And many long-term employed have to take jobs making much less then their previous compensation. And it could be this way for a lot longer sadly.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:04 AM

Who cares??? They take a job that pays less and adjust their lifestyle. I just went to Dunkin Donuts for an iced coffee. There was a Now Hiring sign on the door. I know one of the people who works there as I frequent that place. She told me NOT ONE person has applied.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:06 AM

I don't want to entertain that there are no jobs. People are just lazy...

Old 06-03-2012, 09:11 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,049,313 times
Hahaha... You don't want to entertain reality? Go right ahead!

Yeah, of course.... because millions of people who previously worked hard every day all of a sudden decided to quit working and depend upon short-term UE benefits that pay at most half their previous pay... Yep, because we'd all like to earn a lot less money while wasting time applying to non-existent "jobs" all day, only to be told that we are somehow now "unemployable" when we've worked for years in the industry.

Yes, yes... it's clearly the fault of the unemployed who are chosing to die in poverty. Right... that makes sense. If only we could all become Wal-mart workers or donut servers, the nation's problems would be solved! Hahaha... wow... You really don't get it - Wal-mart isn't going to hire an engineer or somebody with similar qualifications! Hell, I applied a few months back for a lab tech position making less than half my previous salary, and I mostly got dumb looks from the "job creators" who couldn't understand why I'd even apply! Why? Because they aren't any friggin jobs, and I'd rather be working than not working! In the end, I aced their tests, and they still couldn't understand why I was there because I was "overqualfied!" Hahaha... how the heck do you think Wal-mart would react in a similar situation? Geez...

Don't you have a bridge to live under?

Old 06-03-2012, 09:17 AM

Engineer is a relative term. What kind of engineer were you?

Old 06-03-2012, 09:20 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,220,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Bingo. It's so easy to fire up the unemployable and unwashed masses on this forum.
Perhaps you need to work on your delivery.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,049,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
Engineer is a relative term. What kind of engineer were you?
Mechanical engineer. I graduated 3rd in my class and have 10 years of experience in a specific area of the defense industry. I received raises at a higher than average rate, and was also awarded a bunch of major performance awards and inventions awards. I was even given a performance-based raise a few months before the first layoffs gutted that place. All I can say on that is *never* be the oldest and most experienced guy in your group when a company is looking to cut costs...

And none of those years of performance - nothing I've done in my life - means a dang thing nowdays. The specific defense industry in which I worked is in an death-spiral - all the companies still involved in it are gutting their relative workforces as fast as they can. Thanks to horribly narrow job requirements in the engineering field, it is next to impossible to change to a different industry, despite having the correct degree (mechanical engineering) and 10 years of performance in a high-end manufacturing environment. No, these days you need 3 to 5 years professional experience in: designing seats for the automotive industry, designing locomotive control systems, designing ignition systems, etc. There is no way to break past these barriers - and the automated resume filters set up to maintain them - without powerful connections on the inside. I've tried, and I don't even get a call back, much less an interview, when I apply to anything in a different industry.

So, yeah, I'm dang pissed when people strut around saying that the unemployed are "lazy" or "unskilled." If we're going to have an economy where there are way too few jobs and desperate workers will be ruled out for anything, including: being unemployed, being too old, having experience with the "wrong" CAD tool (yes, that's common these days), and other such crud, nobody has ANY right to blame the unemployed for this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment