Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,316,190 times

Advertisements

Where are the servers/bartenders on CD? This should be our thread.

I've been in the service industry in Manhattan for five years. Done everything from fine dining to Hooters. Currently waitressing at two sports bars in Manhattan, one in Murray Hill and one in Chelsea.

Pet peeves:
1. People who act like they know something about beer/wine, when they ask questions and say things that betray their lack of knowledge.
2. People who haven't yet learned waiting their turn (which is something you're taught in pre-K), and constantly demand your attention even when you're talking to another patron or keying something into the POS.
3. People who don't acknowledge you when you speak to them, but always seem to quickly notice when you're away and they need something.
4. People who don't know how to tip. (DUH)
5. Girls in couples who give you a dirty look everytime you approach and speak for their boyfriends/husbands.

I love my job!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 AM

3,999 posts, read 5,034,401 times
I'm not in the service/food industry but these are all good points...really, wouldn't it be nice in any situation to have better mannered people? I bet you do see all kinds!!

I was a waitress for THREE WHOLE WEEKS once about 20 years ago...honestly, in that very short time, I learned quite a bit. And even though I thought I had manners then, you really learn how to treat others when the roles are reversed. I had too much anxiety waiting on people so I ended up being the hostess of that small restaurant and had much respect for the waiters etc. I was better suited to that role for sure!!

Would love to hear some stories...train wreck and all!!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,282,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
3. People who don't acknowledge you when you speak to them, but always seem to quickly notice when you're away and they need something.
You don't seem to understand that your purpose is to serve people without interferring in their experience. You're not part of the experience. You're supposed to be invisible until you are needed. If people are having a confidential or emotional conversation, the last thing they want is you interjecting yourself. The best servers are the ones who sense when they are needed and blend into the background when they are not needed.

Quote:
5. Girls in couples who give you a dirty look everytime you approach and speak for their boyfriends/husbands.
We once had a waitress pull up a chair and chat with us for 30 minutes. My boyfriend and I were on a date. Do you really think we wanted her to include herself in it? While that was extreme, similar situations are common for couples when dealing with male and female servers. When dealing with couples, it's wise to back off. Couples aren't interested in a server being charming. Couples want professional, prompt service, not someone interferring with their socializing.

Quote:
4. People who don't know how to tip. (DUH)
Ever consider they know how to tip but your lack of attention to points 3 & 5 resulted in your receiving smaller tips?

Old 02-08-2012, 01:16 PM

Whoop whoop...looks like someone has a chip on their shoulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You don't seem to understand that your purpose is to serve people without interferring in their experience. You're not part of the experience. You're supposed to be invisible until you are needed. If people are having a confidential or emotional conversation, the last thing they want is you interjecting yourself. The best servers are the ones who sense when they are needed and blend into the background when they are not needed.
What are you talking about? I've been doing this fulltime for five years, you don't think I know how to waitress??? I'm all about giving people their space, and I don't care what they're talking about, but IT'S MY JOB to inquire whether they need a drink, whether the food is up to snuff, or if they need anything else to compliment their experience. If someone thinks that's nagging, they should STAY HOME. Believe it or not, I likely patronize more restaurants than you do, and finer ones. I know what constitutes a qualiity experience. And while I have a general sense if tables are seeking my attention...I'm not a soothsayer. If I have questions it's because I cannot read your mind and assess what you need. And some people will not request things if not asked.

Quote:
We once had a waitress pull up a chair and chat with us for 30 minutes. My boyfriend and I were on a date. Do you really think we wanted her to include herself in it? While that was extreme, similar situations are common for couples when dealing with male and female servers. When dealing with couples, it's wise to back off.
I've worked in dozens of places all over the tri-state area, and the only place that you could sit when you were working (let alone sit with your patrons) was Hooters. You must frequent some low-rent establishments. I'm not trying to make friends at work, I only care about my money. I'm talking about the passive aggressive girlfriend that tells me what her boyfriend wants when I ask him a question, likely because she's mentally unstable/emotionally immature. Are you one of those women? If not, I don't know what this mini-rant is about.

Quote:
Ever consider they know how to tip but your lack of attention to points 3 & 5 resulted in your receiving smaller tips?
I make excellent money (in spite of encountering people who don't know how to act), which is why I've been doing this for years full time. Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Last edited by xxbabeechick; 02-08-2012 at 01:30 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,235,500 times
Quote:
Whoop whoop...looks like someone has a chip on their shoulder.
Is it you? You're a bartender/server. Do your job, collect your money and quit your bitching.

Also, in my experience, the average bartender/server knows less about various beer/liquors than the patron. I'm a beer geek, I know a lot about beer. I'm not going to lecture you about it but don't offer me a miller lite when I ask if you have any IPA's on draft.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
Is it you? You're a bartender/server. Do your job, collect your money and quit your bitching.
Everyone ******* about their job. I clearly love mine (as I said in the original post), which is why I've been doing it for a while and don't want to do anything else at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
Also, in my experience, the average bartender/server knows less about various beer/liquors than the patron. I'm a beer geek, I know a lot about beer. I'm not going to lecture you about it but don't offer me a miller lite when I ask if you have any IPA's on draft.
You don't know the average patron. The average patron doesn't even know what IPA stands for, let alone its history and the nature of hop character in beer. I'm a beer geek as well. I don't fault the average person for having knowledge about beer, but I hate when people feign anything, it's silly and embarrassing...for them...

Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 PM

Any bartenders/servers???

Old 02-08-2012, 01:59 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,297,487 times
I read with interest until Item 5.

Sorry, one of my sisters had an awesome career bartending and serving, and funded a ski-bum lifestyle in Vail while she was at it. Let's just say that in her 20s, she never had to resort to baring her breasts nearly to the nipple to get attention. She was a natural knock-out of the highest order, the kind who would look smoking hot in a burlap bag.

If you're genuinely and sincerely nice, women in couples will not give you hairy eyeballs no matter how good-looking (you think) you are. Success in hospitality requires a certain amount of charm, and charm requires humility and grace.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:02 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,556,145 times
Five years is not that long. You must be real young to think otherwise. Maybe you'll lose the massive ego as you age. Let's hope so.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,282,180 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? I've been doing this fulltime for five years, you don't think I know how to waitress???
Yes, I'm telling you that you don't know your job because your attitude and posts make that clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment