Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 03:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,677,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
The exact same thing goes for the opposite. Many servers (usually in L.A.) give off this intense aura of smug. Maybe that is where I come from with my comments and opinions.

Sorry as someone who lived in the LA area for 20 years I didn't see a smug attitude with servers. In fact the ones who worked in places that were busy and well established seemed happy to be there.

I get so tired of people trying to stereotype LA. I have lived now in different parts of the country and see more " LA attitude" in places that should be more down to earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 03:52 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,230,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry as someone who lived in the LA area for 20 years I didn't see a smug attitude with servers. In fact the ones who worked in places that were busy and well established seemed happy to be there.

I get so tired of people trying to stereotype LA. I have lived now in different parts of the country and see more " LA attitude" in places that should be more down to earth.
FYI I lived in the L.A. area for 27 years. I'm just sharing my observations. Your mileage may vary. Just go visit Father's Office.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,677,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
FYI I lived in the L.A. area for 27 years. I'm just sharing my observations. Your mileage may vary. Just go visit Father's Office.
Well I have lived in 5 states and am now currently in the southeastern US.

In an area that has a lot of gated communities.

I have seen a lot more attitude down here, granted most of it comes from transplants from the northeast who think they have "arrived" because they live in a subdivision with a four foot wall around it and a security guard at the gate....LOL.

I have seen service people talked to like their second class citizens by people who seem to think this is how wealthy people act, because they sold their house up north and were able to "upgrade" to living behind a wall in the south.

I have witnessed much more "attitude" down here than in LA. Which isn't what you might expect, but it is here.

Yes LA has some of the Hollywood wannabe types, but the majority of the people have regular jobs and lead regular lives. Even those who work in the entertainment industry can be quite grounded.

But as far as attitude, being smug, and talking down to people, LA doesn't corner the market on that.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:34 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,116,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I don't know, I think that's rather unrealistic to expect a server to know absolutely everything about wine. Wine tasting is an art form that people devote their life to. Not everybody who works in a restaurant has spent their life sampling wines, or researching it. Maybe they don't even like wine. Should they not pursue a job in the restaurant industry just because they aren't a wine drinker?
I don't expect the server at TGIF to know anything more than merlot is red and chardonnay is white. But at a fine dining restaurant, wine is as important a part of the menu as the food, and I expect the server to be equally knowledgeable about both. Do I expect the have the knowledge you'd find from one of the Court? Absolutely not. But I do expect any server in a better restaurant to have a good knowledge base about their wine list. That doesn't mean they have to drink it, but they should at least understand the basics of the major varietals, what their flavor profiles are, and what they would pair well with.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,647,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post

Talk more about my cleavage.
Go grab a pair of nylons and two tennis balls. Now, take one tennis ball and drop it to the bottom of one leg in the nylons. Take the other ball and drop it to the bottom of the other leg.

Hold up the pair of nylons and you'll be looking at your boobs 40 years from now.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:24 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,550,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
1. Serving is a profession and a skill and a good waitperson certainly has something to be proud of.

2. It's always subjective. What's the issue? If she's making money which to her is "excellent" then it's exactly that.
A good waitperson comes with a great attitude (which obviously she doesn't have) so I don't know what you're trying to defend here.

No offense, but I have a feeling she's grown enough to defend herself, STT, so you may just want to relax (specially when I didn't address you in my initial post), 'k?

Cheers!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,550,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why do you assume everyone else in this thread has issues?

What do you think those issues are?

We're just going by what you post in this thread.

And your posts are full of attitude, right down to insulting everyone and accusing people of having issues.

You're the one coming across as insecure.
Exactly.

I think her profile photo is a clear evidence of a very insecure person, fishing for some sort of attention any way she can, lol!

What a joke.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:35 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,311,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
I think her profile photo is a clear evidence of a very insecure person, fishing for some sort of attention any way she can, lol!

What a joke.
It's hilarious that you can make a post about something like the weather, and women on CD will check out your profile picture and make random childish remarks. Amusing, and indicative of their own insecurity.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:46 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,311,210 times
Great thread and another great night at work! Wouldn't trade my life for anything1

Old 02-10-2012, 05:39 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,116,681 times
I think she should hook up with TVSG. Clearly a match made in heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment