Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:44 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,226,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Everyone ******* about their job. I clearly love mine (as I said in the original post), which is why I've been doing it for a while and don't want to do anything else at the moment.

You don't know the average patron. The average patron doesn't even know what IPA stands for, let alone its history and the nature of hop character in beer. I'm a beer geek as well. I don't fault the average person for having knowledge about beer, but I hate when people feign anything, it's silly and embarrassing...for them...
Cheers to the beergeekdom. Just humor them and perhaps collect a larger tip? I've done the smile and nod in beer bars just so I don't come off as an a-hole beer snob... which I can be from time to time...

In my many years of dealing with idiot customers who think they're the authority on everything, I've learned to smile and nod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 07:16 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Where are the servers/bartenders on CD? This should be our thread.

I've been in the service industry in Manhattan for five years. Done everything from fine dining to Hooters. Currently waitressing at two sports bars in Manhattan, one in Murray Hill and one in Chelsea.

Pet peeves:
1. People who act like they know something about beer/wine, when they ask questions and say things that betray their lack of knowledge.
2. People who haven't yet learned waiting their turn (which is something you're taught in pre-K), and constantly demand your attention even when you're talking to another patron or keying something into the POS.
3. People who don't acknowledge you when you speak to them, but always seem to quickly notice when you're away and they need something.
4. People who don't know how to tip. (DUH)
5. Girls in couples who give you a dirty look everytime you approach and speak for their boyfriends/husbands.

I love my job!
How did you manage to get a serving job in NYC? Did you have lots of previous experience? I'm trying to move to New York and would like to work at a bar or restaurant. Although I might try the gay bars in Chelsea, but don't have the serving experience.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:

Pet peeves:
1. People who act like they know something about beer/wine, when they ask questions and say things that betray their lack of knowledge.
Conversely it annoys me to no end when a server has no real knowledge about the wine list or how to decant and serve it. (I recently was asked if I wanted my glass of mid-range cabernet "on the rocks." )

If I'm interested in a bottle of wine, it's ridiculous when the only thing the server can suggest is the typical mass market offerings (Caymus and Mondavi jump right to mind) when I can look for 15 seconds and see that there are numerous "hidden gems" on the list if you have a clue what you are looking at.

If a server in a fine dining establishment doesn't know the difference between a pinot noir and a syrah just by the nose and color, TGIF might be a better option for them.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
You don't know the average patron. The average patron doesn't even know what IPA stands for, let alone its history and the nature of hop character in beer. I'm a beer geek as well. I don't fault the average person for having knowledge about beer, but I hate when people feign anything, it's silly and embarrassing...for them...
I hope you don't come off as condescending at your job as you do in this post. I don't even drink beer/ale/lager/stout/pilsner and I know that IPA is India Pale Ale, with a flavor profile that is generally moderately hop-py and slightly bitter with a medium gold color. It's not rocket science. I'm not saying I much of anything else about it, but as a non-beer drinker, my knowledge is more than sufficient. Most beer drinkers I know have a far broader knowledge base about their quaffs.

And I'll bet if we got into a conversation about wine, I'd find you "feigning knowledge" very quickly.

Last edited by annerk; 02-09-2012 at 07:26 AM..

Old 02-09-2012, 08:12 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
I think a lot of posters on this thread are making a big fuss about nothing. I just closed my restaurant/bar after 16 years and comments/stories exactly the same as hers (and way more) are bandied around backstage in the restaurant/bar business every single day and done so with good humor. It all helps the long hours go by and laughing about the different scenarios keeps a smile on one's face in front of some customers who you sometimes feel like kicking in the teeth. Good gracious.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I hope you don't come off as condescending at your job as you do in this post. I don't even drink beer/ale/lager/stout/pilsner and I know that IPA is India Pale Ale, with a flavor profile that is generally moderately hop-py and slightly bitter with a medium gold color. It's not rocket science. I'm not saying I much of anything else about it, but as a non-beer drinker, my knowledge is more than sufficient. Most beer drinkers I know have a far broader knowledge base about their quaffs.

And I'll bet if we got into a conversation about wine, I'd find you "feigning knowledge" very quickly.
Condescending? It's quite fascinating and informative that you're such a gastronome but I can assure you that not everybody shares your superior knowledge and knows what IPA means. As far as your other post is concerned, why on earth would you even lower yourself to dine in an establishment where you're offered your Cab on the rocks? That surely was a major slip-up on your part.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,215,148 times
Responses in Red

Quote:
Where are the servers/bartenders on CD? This should be our thread.

I've been in the service industry in Manhattan for five years. Done everything from fine dining to Hooters. Currently waitressing at two sports bars in Manhattan, one in Murray Hill and one in Chelsea.

Pet peeves:
-So what, this is your job as a server/bartender, it isn't rocket science, it is a profession you do while you are waiting/hoping to better yourself through education for something better
2. People who haven't yet learned waiting their turn (which is something you're taught in pre-K), and constantly demand your attention even when you're talking to another patron or keying something into the POS.
-Common for customer service oriented positions, people in general will always do this
3. People who don't acknowledge you when you speak to them, but always seem to quickly notice when you're away and they need something.
- OK???
4. People who don't know how to tip. (DUH)
-How should people tip? I usually do 20% if there is reasonably good service... at a bar, I just do $1.00 a beer, but I rarely drink/go to bars
5. Girls in couples who give you a dirty look everytime you approach and speak for their boyfriends/husbands.
- LOL, this isn't exclusive to servers.....

I love my job!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Condescending? It's quite fascinating and informative that you're such a gastronome but I can assure you that not everybody shares your superior knowledge and knows what IPA means. As far as your other post is concerned, why on earth would you even lower yourself to dine in an establishment where you're offered your Cab on the rocks? That surely was a major slip-up on your part.
Believe it or not, it was a better restaurant. If Michelin rated in this area and gave "half stars" it would easily earn that if not a full star. The server was new, and obviously not as well trained as she should have been. The sommelier at this restaurant group is a friend, and I mentioned it to him in an email the next day. I wasn't nasty about it, just told him what happened--if I hadn't, how would he have known it needed to be corrected?

Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,548,356 times
Quote:
xxbabeechick;22898698]What are you talking about? I've been doing this fulltime for five years, you don't think I know how to waitress???
Didn't think this is something people brag about, but okay..
Quote:
I make excellent money (in spite of encountering people who don't know how to act), which is why I've been doing this for years full time. Thanks for your attention to this matter.
I think "excellent money" is subjective..

Old 02-09-2012, 09:29 AM

200 posts, read 565,408 times
I am curious if the people that are quick to critic the OP have ever worked in the service industry? Hopes? Mr. Bungle?

People will say the working in a service industry is not rocket science, but a lot of these people wouldn't cut it on the floor or behind the bar. There is a high reliance on multi-tasking, knowledge of what is going on throughout the WHOLE restaurant, knowing about all the foods and drinks offered, knowing the latest diets, knowing about food allergy and preparation, teamwork, server etiquette, LOTS of paitience, and numerous other details that a person who has never worked in a restaurant would have no idea about.

I would say that about 80% of the customers are a pleasure to serve. It is the 20% of the customers that give us service staff people a reason to b*tch

And I definitely agree with the point about it being annoying when a table will ignore their server, but then get pissed off the minute the server is not around to take their drink order. A server is not interrupting your conversation because they enjoy rude looks, they are doing to enhance your dining experience. A good server knows the proper procedure for a great dinning experience. A good server also knows where the restaurant is in terms of creating this experience. That being said, a server knows when a table's food is being plated. A good server also knows that the customer that is about to get their food only has two sips left in their glass of wine. Therefore, the server is getting your attention at a good for everyone else in the restaurant. to see if they can better your dining experience by bringing you at another glass just before, or with your meal. However, said customer may see this as an annoying interruption seeing as they have no knowledge that other things are going on besides their conversation, and the server is doing the interrupting with the best interest of the customer in mind. Therefore, perhaps customers need to take it into consideration sometimes that the server is making their needs a priority...because we sure don't have to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment