Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 04:09 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times

Advertisements

I can understand tipping a bartender for making a martini or a drink that involves some effort but why does society ask that we tip our bartenders a $1 just for opening a bottle of beer or making an easy drink like a vodka soda for example?

And why is it that a waitress at a bar deserves a tip per drink for delivering a round of drinks that she didn't even make?

For the record, I'm a great tipper. My standard is 20%-25% and I don't always go by the 20% because at times, the waitress deserves more if the restaurant charges low prices (breakfast places) yet the work involved is like that of any other restaurant. I've been called overly generous with regard to tipping.

However, with bars, it just seems ridiculous at times. There is no work involved with pouring a few drinks yet they should get tipped a dollar per drink whereas as a waiter/waitress who actually provides a service when he or she waits on you only deserves 5-10 dollars after she waited on you for an hour?

I think it's absolutely assinine that our society rewards bartenders and waitstaff at bars so highly. I think it's due to cultural as opposed to logical reasons. You are supposed to tip the pretty girl or the studly guy who gives you 3 beers versus the not so attractive older waitress who waits on you at Dennys for breakfast? My view is we should reward those who work hard regardless of their appearance or establishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 06:40 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,472 times
+1
I think they just say that so that the undertipping or no tipping people get the difference made up. Bartenders make A TON of money, especially if it's a hot chick, guys will tip them plenty. I usually just run a tab and tip on that at the end of the night, makes it a lot easier and cheaper that way.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:58 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
If I run a tab...I'll tip on that at the end of the night, and its generally at least 20% if not more. On those infrequent occasions where I do pay by the drink, I'll drop at least $1 per drink, possibly more on the first round. Regardless of whether its an overweight 50-year old guy or a 22 year old chick in a bikini top (that has never affected my tipping). I also don't care what the drinks in question are; if its a $4 beer or a $10 cocktail.

As we generally drink liquor or mixed drinks vs. beer when at a bar, I've found that the bartenders who know us at the few places we visit occasionally kick back those tips in the form of loading up our drinks and / or dropping one or two off of the tab. If it is "by the drink", they usually remember what I tipped them the first time and will frequently make those later rounds a bit stronger.

I don't expect that kind of "return" on my tip investment, but it tends to be the case more often than not.

I will also tip a waitress the same percentage off the bill regardless of whether its breakfast at Denny's or a meal that ends up being $100+ per person.

I guess its because I used to work in restaurants in a service position, I know what they do on a nightly basis, and now that I make a heck of a lot more money than those people do, I have no problem kicking back a bit to them.

Seriously tho - why be so cheap? At even $1 per drink - are you ordering so many rounds a night that its adding up to a significant amount in tips when all is said and done?

Last edited by Tober138; 08-31-2010 at 07:08 AM..

Old 08-31-2010, 07:02 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
I have yet to believe there is a bar that doesn't " pad" the tab.

No way would I walk into a bar and hand the bar a big chunk of money before even ordering drinks. That essentially is what you are doing by running a tab at a bar.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:13 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I have yet to believe there is a bar that doesn't " pad" the tab.

No way would I walk into a bar and hand the bar a big chunk of money before even ordering drinks. That essentially is what you are doing by running a tab at a bar.
Um...no....you generally give them a credit card and they give you a bill at the end of the night. Some places do not and will just keep track, either by keeping your bill in a glass in front of your spot or on their little computer thingy.

I would think your chances of being "padded" are the same as having an extra item wind up on a dinner tab. It may happen on rare occasions, but they will usually take it off without fuss. Accidents happen. But I always glance at my bill first (unless its a place I know well) and I generally know what has been ordered - either at a bar or a table.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
The taverns I go into are the kind where you throw a double sawbuck or two on the bar and the bartender takes money away as you get drinks. Drinks which are usually along the lines of a shot of VO with an Old Style chaser.

Then you tip when you leave.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:51 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
This is why I don't go to bars. As if $4-$5/beer wasn't enough. Never understood the attraction really. Most alcohol takes like crud, there is a reason they say "it's an acquired taste". Pardon me but I'm not paying to acquire a taste for something that tastes like crap to begin with.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:01 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Another great reason to turn on the stereo, fire up the hot tub, bake up some meaty puff pastries, pay 10 bucks for a six pack of really nice beer, and stay at home.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:04 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Never understood the attraction really. Most alcohol takes like crud, there is a reason they say "it's an acquired taste". Pardon me but I'm not paying to acquire a taste for something that tastes like crap to begin with.
People drink to get intoxicated and must tolerate the taste and naturally enough seek out those drinks which taste least bad.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:18 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Um...no....you generally give them a credit card and they give you a bill at the end of the night. Some places do not and will just keep track, either by keeping your bill in a glass in front of your spot or on their little computer thingy.

I would think your chances of being "padded" are the same as having an extra item wind up on a dinner tab. It may happen on rare occasions, but they will usually take it off without fuss. Accidents happen. But I always glance at my bill first (unless its a place I know well) and I generally know what has been ordered - either at a bar or a table.
I don't know, I think handing them a cc at the beginning is the equivalent to giving them access to a wad of cash. I can't tell you how many of my friends have gone to bar, handed over their credit card, and realized they were charged for drinks they never had. The problem is it's nearly impossible to get the charges for drinks removed. The managers nearly always side with the bartender. This is nothing new---it went on years ago when I was a server.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment