Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:06 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,984,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
nd why is it that a waitress at a bar deserves a tip per drink for delivering a round of drinks that she didn't even make
For the same reason that waitstaff in a restaurant deserve tips for delivering your food. Tips are not merely for the preparation of your order. If that were true, you'd have to go back to the kitchen and dish up your food yourself and carry it back to your table, and then bus your table and wash your dishes when you were done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 03:47 AM

27,200 posts, read 46,855,041 times
I drink Cokes--whether they're a buck, or two bucks, I usually tip a dollar every other one.

If I were drinking the $4 drinks that some bars serve, I'd be tipping a buck every drink. I do that because it's easier on me to do it that way--and saves my quarters for the pool table, dartboard, or bartop trivia game.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:22 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,728,053 times
Order two, three or four beers at the same time and only tip one dollar if it concerns you.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:04 AM

24,665 posts, read 70,014,457 times
I'm a restaurant/bar owner and didn't even know that a $1 tip was required by society on each drink ... learn something new every day!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:05 AM

9,802 posts, read 16,292,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I don't know, I think handing them a cc at the beginning is the equivalent to giving them access to a wad of cash. I can't tell you how many of my friends have gone to bar, handed over their credit card, and realized they were charged for drinks they never had. The problem is it's nearly impossible to get the charges for drinks removed. The managers nearly always side with the bartender. This is nothing new---it went on years ago when I was a server.
BINGO !

Yup, posted by someone who knows about tab " schemes "

As long as there are gullible customers, it will never end.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:12 AM

The type of bars I went to, in my younger days, no tips were given.
No tips were expected.

The rare ocassion someone tipped, it always was an outsider who wanted to impress us locals into thinking he was a bigshot.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:01 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,743,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janman345 View Post
Going out is over rated unless your trying to get laid, but even then you have craigslist for that, there really is no reason to go to a bar anymore, they are usually obnoxiously loud and depending on the city smokey and burn your eyes. Unless your going to play pool but its tough to find a good place that actually focuses on pool and not just loudness and obnoxisness where the pool table is an after thought.
Well...some of us enjoy going out. And getting laid is not the reason since, in our group, everyone is either married or at least living in sin.

We like to see live bands...so its off to the occasional, noisy club for that.

Otherwise, if we're just going out for a few drinks (or even dinner before or after) we usually don't find ourselves in loud, obnoxious bars. There are plenty of upscale places that are not not noisy, over-crowded meat markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
BINGO !

Yup, posted by someone who knows about tab " schemes "

As long as there are gullible customers, it will never end.
I've never had an issue with that ever...and I go outfairly frequently (and have been doing so for the better part of 20 years).

Maybe some people just need to find some classier places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm a restaurant/bar owner and didn't even know that a $1 tip was required by society on each drink ... learn something new every day!
Some people like to complain, even if it is about a non-issue. And some people are just cheap.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Well...some of us enjoy going out. And getting laid is not the reason since, in our group, everyone is either married or at least living in sin.

We like to see live bands...so its off to the occasional, noisy club for that.

Otherwise, if we're just going out for a few drinks (or even dinner before or after) we usually don't find ourselves in loud, obnoxious bars. There are plenty of upscale places that are not not noisy, over-crowded meat markets.

I've never had an issue with that ever...and I go outfairly frequently (and have been doing so for the better part of 20 years).

Maybe some people just need to find some classier places.

Some people like to complain, even if it is about a non-issue. And some people are just cheap.

---and some people are just cheap---

Keep on giving those big tips.

It will balance out for the bartender if I go there and leave no tip.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:26 AM

Reminds me of a woman bartender in a nearby town.

She stated if anyone left the bar w/o tipping she would chase them down the street to insult them into tipping.

Bragged all the time of doing that.

However, when she went to restaurants in that same city, she was loud, obnoxious, rude, and never left a tip.

Maybe the waitress at the cafe should have chased her down.

Yup..........double standard !

Old 09-01-2010, 12:29 PM

24,665 posts, read 70,014,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Reminds me of a woman bartender in a nearby town.

She stated if anyone left the bar w/o tipping she would chase them down the street to insult them into tipping.

Bragged all the time of doing that.!
If she worked for me and pulled anything remotely akin to that she wouldn't be walking back in the door! Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment