Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:44 AM

4,243 posts, read 4,760,624 times

Advertisements

I want a 15% raise. I feel like I deserve it, and I feel like it's a reasonable bump up in pay. I'd settle for 10% though honestly.

I've been at the same pay for 3 years now and I have a friend that works for the same company (although she's on a different team we have the same title) and she makes 18% more than I do. We do the same job but I have a higher workload than she does.

I just found out today that one of the projects I'm on is ending early (as in ending today and it was supposed to go on for over another year). There are other projects coming down the pipeline that I'll be on but it just makes me nervous about asking for a raise because I feel like this project ending will make it look like my workload is decreasing, when I know in another month or two things will be quite busy for me.

My friend who has the same title as me says the raise I want is reasonable. Another friend I spoke to today (we used to work together but she's currently unemployed) says I may be asking for too much. (In other words, she's saying to just be happy I have a job and not to 'rock the boat'...)...

What to do, what to do.....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 07:54 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,422,511 times
You wont get a 15% bump unless it is a promotion and even then probably not that much.
You would have to look elsewhere to get that imho.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
You wont get a 15% bump unless it is a promotion and even then probably not that much.
You would have to look elsewhere to get that imho.
Why do you say that?

Even a 15% bump is still in the salary range for my title. The min to mid salary ranges for my title are listed on the company job site. A 15% raise would actually also put me around the 'min' for the next job 'up' from mine because salary ranges here overlap.

I'd be willing to settle for 10%.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:12 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,767,804 times
Why don't you simply make an appointment to talk to your manager or whoever's responsible for recommending/giving raises and nicely ask? Obviously don't go in with all barrels blazing and either demanding or comparing your rate to that of other employees; just explain that you've not had a raise in three years, you feel your record has been consistently above average and what would be the chances of an increase. Don't demand any percentage at all. Leave that one alone. If you can get to the next stage of discussion then that can be raised then.

Of course this is all reliant on the fact that your work and your general record have indeed been above average. If you're continuously making mistakes, are late to work, rude to your fellow workers and to management and are otherwise one of those people who are kept on because of Lord knows what, then don't even bother! Good luck!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:05 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,182,905 times
How is it you are at the same pay for 3 years? Is there an annual review process?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
How is it you are at the same pay for 3 years? Is there an annual review process?
Let me clarify; we do get annual evaluations and the raise is capped at 3% (some of us employees refer to it as a cost of living adjustment although it really is merit increase). So it can range from 0%-3%. I HAVE gotten 2% every year for the past 3 years. Most of the people I know have also gotten the typical 2% (might I add that that amount is hard to see considering that employee parking, cost of living, etc. also increases annually)....

Old 01-19-2012, 09:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,148,932 times
You can't compare your pay to other coworkers. Everyone is paid for different reasons. You coworker may have negotating a higher starting pay than you. Your coworker may have had rasies during the three years you didn't. Your coworker may have worked at the company longer than you. How much work you do compared to others is irrelevant.

I do agree that you're asking too much. What you should address is why you haven't had a raise in three years. You should wait until you're busier before you even think of approaching your manager. Don't mention how much other employees make.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,148,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Let me clarify; we do get annual evaluations and the raise is capped at 3% (some of us employees refer to it as a cost of living adjustment although it really is merit increase). So it can range from 0%-3%. I HAVE gotten 2% every year for the past 3 years. Most of the people I know have also gotten the typical 2% (might I add that that amount is hard to see considering that employee parking, cost of living, etc. also increases annually)....
That's diffferent. You've had raises.

Is the only reason you think you deserve an 15% raise because your friend earns more than you?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:51 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,443,927 times
Quote:
Why don't you simply make an appointment to talk to your manager or whoever's responsible for recommending/giving raises and nicely ask? Obviously don't go in with all barrels blazing and either demanding or comparing your rate to that of other employees; just explain that you've not had a raise in three years, you feel your record has been consistently above average and what would be the chances of an increase. Don't demand any percentage at all. Leave that one alone. If you can get to the next stage of discussion then that can be raised then.
Exactly. I've never actually been in a position of a full-time job yet but everything I've read in business school/dealing with humans points to this.

Do not ask for a raise. Lay out what you've learned, the hours you've worked, the quality of your work with examples, where you've went above and beyond, ect. You needing more money or people around you making more money isn't a reason for you to get a raise. You have to have increased the amount of value you're providing in some way.

THEN after the case is presented, see what they say. If your request for a raise is strong, they may only be able to look at what you've said and say "you know, you're right". If that doesn't work because the manager can't or won't give a raise, take your talents to south beach and try and find greener grass.

AND NO NOT MENTION HOW MUCH OTHER PEOPLE ARE MAKING. EVER.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You can't compare your pay to other coworkers. Everyone is paid for different reasons. You coworker may have negotating a higher starting pay than you. Your coworker may have had rasies during the three years you didn't. Your coworker may have worked at the company longer than you. How much work you do compared to others is irrelevant.

I do agree that you're asking too much. What you should address is why you haven't had a raise in three years. You should wait until you're busier before you even think of approaching your manager. Don't mention how much other employees make.
A couple of things:

-This is not to be argumentative but in my situation, I think that how much work I do compared to others is indeed quite relevant. We are actually pretty good friends...we aren't co-workers per se because we work for different doctors at different locations. However, we did used to work in the same location so I have a very good understanding of her duties and responsibilities; since we're friends we talk about it all the time.

-I understand that everyone is paid for different reasons...but I think one of the first things a person who is looking to negotiate their salary should do IS to compare their pay amongst others doing the same work, with the same title, etc. I just feel like that's normal; you have to know this in order to know if what you're asking for is indeed fair. I do happen to know that she did negotiated a higher pay last year when she returned to the company after leaving and working for another company for a year. She's worth more now because of the things she learned during that year. Coincidentally it just so happens during that year away she worked on some of the same studies/types of studies I've been on in the past year.

-I have been here a little over a year longer than her but I don't feel like that's a big deal; it's moreso that I feel like I am underpaid for my level of experience and the things I have learned over the past year. My responsibilities since coming to this department have increased. Let's put it this way: I looked up my current title's duties online and compared it to the next title's up's duties (sorry for the grammar!). I do all the duties listed for my current title. I do about 80% of the duties listed on the position a step up from mine...I think a promotion might 'actually' be in line, to be honest.

-I am going to wait until things are busier. Lastly, I never planned on mentioning what other people make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment