Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:34 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,990,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I understand. Boy was I spoiled with my first job out of college! I worked for a small company for 3 years and got in the range of a 20-something percent increase each year. Then I got a job here and was STUNNED that 2%-3% is actually the norm....
That's impressive. I don't think that's the case from most companies. I've seen my salary go up about 41% in the past 3.5 years. But that's because I've either had another offer in hand when negotiating a bump or I've jumped ship to another company. I started out working for a very small company, so there was no where to go within, that is why I've had to look outside for better opportunities.

BTW, why did you leave the small company if you were getting 20%+ increases each year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 10:35 AM

4,279 posts, read 4,812,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This falls in line with what other people are saying. Sometimes you have to switch companies to get higher salaries. She didn't just negotiate a higher salary because of things she learned while she was there. She got a higher salary because she initially earned a higher salary where she went. In other words, with both job moves she negotiated higher salaries and that's how she earns more than you. She earns more money because she's good at negotiating, and she has been making career moves by switching companies to increase her earnings.
Let me clarify her situation:

She worked for my company for 3ish years and made X amount in salary.

She switched to another company for one year and got X + 30%

She returned to my company and got X + 20%

So, she is indeed making more than she did 2 years ago, but she's making less than she would be if she stayed with the other company.

But I totally understand what you're saying and this isn't all about her though. I'm not saying I'm worth her X + 30% -or- even her X + 20%. I'm saying I'm worth my X + 10% or 15% based on the research I've done, the responsibilities I have, our department's workload and my experience.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,476,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I understand. Boy was I spoiled with my first job out of college! I worked for a small company for 3 years and got in the range of a 20-something percent increase each year. Then I got a job here and was STUNNED that 2%-3% is actually the norm....
I hear you. I recieved a 100% raise after 6 months at my first professional job. It felt good to have my pay doubled. I truly felt appreciated and recognized. That job and my last job were the only companies that gave substantial raises. In between, 4%-6% was the norm, sometimes 9%+. During those times, I switched companies to give myself bigger raises than that.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
That's how I interpreted your initial posts. I was trying to help you avoid a fatal mistake.
I understand.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
That's impressive. I don't think that's the case from most companies. I've seen my salary go up about 41% in the past 3.5 years. But that's because I've either had another offer in hand when negotiating a bump or I've jumped ship to another company. I started out working for a very small company, so there was no where to go within, that is why I've had to look outside for better opportunities.

BTW, why did you leave the small company if you were getting 20%+ increases each year?
Sometimes the money just.isn't.worth.it. People don't understand.....til they've been there. (Long story short the company folded less than a year later anyway....)

It's never been all about the money for me. The money is an issue now only because I appear to be underpaid and I want to be paid for what I'm worth, which I think is a reasonable expectation.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:36 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,314,083 times
So you have been there for three years. What are the chances for a promotion? Honestly, the only times I have ever seen a raise in the range of 15% not associated with a promotion is if someone was grossly underpaid to start with and showed themselves to be a superstar.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So you have been there for three years. What are the chances for a promotion? Honestly, the only times I have ever seen a raise in the range of 15% not associated with a promotion is if someone was grossly underpaid to start with and showed themselves to be a superstar.
I've been with the same company for 6 and a half years. I've been at the same title and pay for 3 years. I've been with the same department for 1 year.

I've switched departments several times over the past 6.5 years because I work in research and it seems to just be the nature of the industry...you move around when studies end, new ones start, etc. and sometimes end up working in other departments with other docs.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:09 PM

548 posts, read 1,224,097 times
I agree that an increase significantly above 2-3% isn't typical in most companies unless you are being promoted or have other leverage. If you really think you deserve an additional increase, why don't you wait until your new projects start up and you are really busy and then approach your boss about it? I would strongly recommend having a humble attitude about it (if you approach him with a give-me-a-raise-or-I'm-gone type of attitude, you might get your wish).

Old 01-19-2012, 12:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,476,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It doesn't sound like the OP is grossly underpaid because she said the salary she wants would be mid-level pay for the her own job classification. It's strange that she didn't share where her salary desires fall on the range for her current job classification. Sounds like she's trying to top out the salary range. Maybe not, but telling us where it falls for the classification above hers doesn't make sense.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
It doesn't sound like the OP is grossly underpaid because she said the salary she wants would be mid-level pay for the her own job classification. It's strange that she didn't share where her salary desires fall on the range for her current job classification. Sounds like she's trying to top out the salary range. Maybe not, but telling us where it falls for the classification above hers doesn't make sense.
Ok, so I will be honest and say that I don't know much about the salary structure at my current employer and how/why it is set up the way it is.

I can tell you this-I just looked up the salary structure so I could see the min, mid AND max salaries for my job title. A 10% increase would put me still below the mid for my current position (albeit much closer than I am to it now).

However, the max numbers were very surprising to me...I've never known anyone to make anywhere near the 'max' numbers. The max salaries aren't even ever posted with the job titles; only the min and mid. The whole time I've worked here, everyone I know has strived for the 'mid' as IF it were the max

So, in regards to your statement about sharing where my salary desires fall with my current job classification, it's between 'min' and 'mid'...just below mid actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment