Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,008,760 times

Advertisements

Hello,

New here and could really use some input. This isn't a matter of a job being beneath me.

I've been offered a job at a collections company .I've researched the company and they have several hundred complaints on the BBB. There are multiple pages on Google and one with over 250 complaints from consumers. Basically, this company buys old accounts receivables for pennies on the dollar that have been charged off and tries to collect on them. This even includes those that have gone through BK. Complaints on the web say that the reps are rude, hang up on people and use scare tactics and do hurt people's credit. Complaints say they (consumers) receive multiple calls per day. Complaints say this company files lawsuits against them. I would be a collector and have collection goals set for me on a daily basis - stress.

Maybe five years ago I could have done this and not had a major problem. But with people losing homes, jobs, and with mouths to feed, I don't know I can do this. Yet I need an income and benefits. What would you do? And we all know jobs are tough to come by. I am in a real dilemma. Oh, and I can't afford one more short term job on my resume.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:46 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,253,883 times
I would live in my car before I would work for a company like the one you described. You know that trying to reach collections goals is going to be high stress and if you do not meet the goal they will let you go. If this were me I would keep right on looking for a job.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:48 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,951,194 times
I think anyone with a conscience wouldn't work for a company like that. The money may be good (possibly), but how worth it is it if you hate going to work each and every day? I think it is more worth it to enjoy the job you go to rather than work only for the money and risk the job only being on your resume for a short time. But that is just me...all the money in the world doesn't make anyone happier if they hate what they do.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:52 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,657,941 times
You have to be a very uncaring person to take a job like this. Based on whats going on in the world today I dont know how anyone does this job. I read a CNN story on 6 different people doing collections. They all had quit the business.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:00 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,762,441 times
Notwithstanding the moral dilemma, I've read many posts on this forum about people's experiences working for these sorts of collection agencies and they paint a very sordid picture. They work you to the bone, their demands are almost impossible and the turnover is huge. Don't do it. Bus some tables or do some dishes but don't get involved in this nastiness. Good luck!

Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,162,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Hello,

New here and could really use some input. This isn't a matter of a job being beneath me.

I've been offered a job at a collections company .I've researched the company and they have several hundred complaints on the BBB. There are multiple pages on Google and one with over 250 complaints from consumers. Basically, this company buys old accounts receivables for pennies on the dollar that have been charged off and tries to collect on them. This even includes those that have gone through BK. Complaints on the web say that the reps are rude, hang up on people and use scare tactics and do hurt people's credit. Complaints say they (consumers) receive multiple calls per day. Complaints say this company files lawsuits against them. I would be a collector and have collection goals set for me on a daily basis - stress.

Maybe five years ago I could have done this and not had a major problem. But with people losing homes, jobs, and with mouths to feed, I don't know I can do this. Yet I need an income and benefits. What would you do? And we all know jobs are tough to come by. I am in a real dilemma. Oh, and I can't afford one more short term job on my resume.

thanks.
I really don't think that there is anything wrong with working for a collections agency. A REPUTABLE collection agency that is. Like any other business, there are good ones and bad ones.

By virtue of the fact that this company has so many complaints against it, I would expect that the working conditions are not good. Keep in mind also, that YOU can be named in a lawsuit jointly and severely if the company violates the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. This is a very serious matter and it could result in YOU (yes you) being fined.

People who incur debts are obligated to pay them. And creditors have the legal right to ensure their interests are protected. However, I would certainly NOT work for a company of this nature that had less than a STELLAR reputation as being honest and fair. Otherwise, you are just ASKING for problems.

I'd work at McDonalds first.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-12-2010, 08:18 AM

Thank you all very much! for confirming what I've been thinking. I just had to run it by someone.

I was even feeling nauseated over it this morning. I agree with the poster that said live in a car first. Before it gets to that point I'd buy a little camper though. And I agree McDonald's would be better.

Thanks to the poster (Branson) that said I could be named in a law suit. I had no idea that could happen. I sure will not risk that.

I also called a friend this a.m. and she knows me well and said I would not be capable of doing this job. It's a good thing I googled on this place even though I was trying to be positive and think the best. Sometimes when we're desperate we want to believe the best and what we want to believe. I didn't realize just how bad things were.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I really don't think that there is anything wrong with working for a collections agency. A REPUTABLE collection agency that is. Like any other business, there are good ones and bad ones.

By virtue of the fact that this company has so many complaints against it, I would expect that the working conditions are not good. Keep in mind also, that YOU can be named in a lawsuit jointly and severely if the company violates the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. This is a very serious matter and it could result in YOU (yes you) being fined.

People who incur debts are obligated to pay them. And creditors have the legal right to ensure their interests are protected. However, I would certainly NOT work for a company of this nature that had less than a STELLAR reputation as being honest and fair. Otherwise, you are just ASKING for problems.

I'd work at McDonalds first.

20yrsinBranson
Well put.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:13 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,178,705 times
I'm totally guessing on this one, but I imagine most collection agencies have a lot of complaints about them. Let's face it. People don't like being called by a collection agency.

That being said, there are a lot of shady collection agencies that have popped up in the last few years. I would be extremely cautious about working for any of them. If I had any other option, I would probably pass. If it was a matter of working for one or feeding my kids, I would do the work until I could find something else.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm totally guessing on this one, but I imagine most collection agencies have a lot of complaints about them. Let's face it. People don't like being called by a collection agency.

That being said, there are a lot of shady collection agencies that have popped up in the last few years. I would be extremely cautious about working for any of them. If I had any other option, I would probably pass. If it was a matter of working for one or feeding my kids, I would do the work until I could find something else.
This is a junk debt buyer and one of the worse from what I have read. They call people 8 times in 4 days and give them an hour to make a payment and if the person doesn't comply they take legal action. They want payment over the phone. They ignore requests for debt validation. They turn things over to lawyers and take people to court. They even call people who it's not even their debt! This is what I've read in the complaints.

I would take it too if I had children to feed. I don't. Plus it really makes me sick just to think of what they do.

I am going to send an email this morning to let them know I will not be doing the job. I thought I'd mention the complaints on the BBB but I think I'll just say it's not a good fit. No need to cause a problem even though I'd like to tell them what I really think of what they do. I feel like I really dodged a bullet on this one. Moral of the story...listen to my instincts and run it by this forum. I really thank everyone who posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment