Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:33 AM

73 posts, read 289,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Hello,

New here and could really use some input. This isn't a matter of a job being beneath me.

I've been offered a job at a collections company .I've researched the company and they have several hundred complaints on the BBB. There are multiple pages on Google and one with over 250 complaints from consumers. Basically, this company buys old accounts receivables for pennies on the dollar that have been charged off and tries to collect on them. This even includes those that have gone through BK. Complaints on the web say that the reps are rude, hang up on people and use scare tactics and do hurt people's credit. Complaints say they (consumers) receive multiple calls per day. Complaints say this company files lawsuits against them. I would be a collector and have collection goals set for me on a daily basis - stress.

Maybe five years ago I could have done this and not had a major problem. But with people losing homes, jobs, and with mouths to feed, I don't know I can do this. Yet I need an income and benefits. What would you do? And we all know jobs are tough to come by. I am in a real dilemma. Oh, and I can't afford one more short term job on my resume.

thanks.
YOu can make some decent money in collections, however I personally couldn't do a job like that. Not to say people didn't have hardships in years past but in past times I think alot of the people you were dealing with were spending beyond their means. Today however I would imagine the majority of people your dealing with or at least a good portion of them are people who lost jobs and fell on hard times, not just some idiot who bought a 50k boat even though he only makes 20k a year just b/c credit was loose at the time.

I think to be successful you would have to take emotions off the table and be kind of ruthless. I also think it would be kind of depressing hearing sob stories all day long be it fake or real from people your calling.

I used to work for one of these late night real estate programs. You knwo the ones marketed for like $10, however if you dont send it back in two weeks you get charged like $700. They would intentionally send the program out weeks late so sometimes people by the time it arrived would only have days to turn it back in. WHne they didnt we would charge them $700.

The type of people who get suckered ito this tend to be people on disability, older people, people in bad financial situations. I would get people calling up crying about how they can't pay their rent, mortgage, buy medicine, etc. If it were as simple as them buying something they couldn't afford I woudln't feel quite as bad but knowing the company was going out of its way to rip people off didn't sit right with me.

I started giving people their money back if I knew from tracking numbers and things we ripped them off. One day I was called into the supervisors office, they played tapes of me giving money back to crying old ladies and fired me

I can't work for a company that is unethical and or heartless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 11:57 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,107,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Hello,

New here and could really use some input. This isn't a matter of a job being beneath me.

I've been offered a job at a collections company .I've researched the company and they have several hundred complaints on the BBB. There are multiple pages on Google and one with over 250 complaints from consumers. Basically, this company buys old accounts receivables for pennies on the dollar that have been charged off and tries to collect on them. This even includes those that have gone through BK. Complaints on the web say that the reps are rude, hang up on people and use scare tactics and do hurt people's credit. Complaints say they (consumers) receive multiple calls per day. Complaints say this company files lawsuits against them. I would be a collector and have collection goals set for me on a daily basis - stress.

Maybe five years ago I could have done this and not had a major problem. But with people losing homes, jobs, and with mouths to feed, I don't know I can do this. Yet I need an income and benefits. What would you do? And we all know jobs are tough to come by. I am in a real dilemma. Oh, and I can't afford one more short term job on my resume.

thanks.
Me personally, I could never work for a company like this. Currently, I am working multiple part-time jobs within my field to gain experience while searching for full-time. Due to the economy, I faced a severe reduction in hours which forced me to collect UI for nearly a year. While collecting UI, I pounded the pavement and applied to jobs I would normally not consider accepting in previous years. I work in higher education and I have even applied to multiple independent colleges. Once I researched these "colleges" and learned about accreditation, I became aware that they were nothing but diploma mills. I cannot in good conscious work for a college/university that milks students out of their money so students can receive a worthless degree and credits that do not transfer to any other degree program. Not only that but I could never use these colleges on my resume as people in my industry would question my integrity for working for such places. If you are collecting UI, I believe that they do not force you to accept work that conflicts with your beliefs or morals (at least not in California). Just my two cents.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,886 times
I believe you made the right decision. No one can live with stress like that. You don't want to feel so miserable during and after the work. Good luck, hopefully you will find something soon.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:06 PM

16,952 posts, read 16,856,823 times
You should always ask yourself :

Why is there an opening for this position ?

What happened to the last person that worked here ?

How do they REALLY treat their employees and how do the employees treat the customers ?

Old 10-14-2010, 05:22 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,043,918 times
Just to give you all an update - I did write a nice email to HR letting them know "additional information had come to light" and that I wouldn't be working there. I recevied an email back asking me what kind of info. Again, I was polite and told them due to the large volume and variety of complaints on the Net. I then received a call from HR this a.m. asking me what sites. So I said I'd talk later (was driving) and never heard back. All it took was a quick google search and search on BBB and they would have known, which is probably why I didn't hear back.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment