Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:39 PM

364 posts, read 1,083,187 times

Advertisements

I have been at my current employer for 5 months. This is my first job out of college. While I don't mind the company or the job, a better opportunity has already presented itself, doing the same type of work, but for more money. However, I am not exactly 100% happy where I'm at.....I am looking for some advice:

1) What do I say in the interview when asked why i want to leave my current position so soon?

2) How do I avoid the interviewer(s) from calling my current boss/company? I don't want them to know I'm already searching...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 12:55 PM

550 posts, read 1,359,501 times
I was in a very similar position earlier this year. I just said that I wanted a challenge and that I wanted to go to a place that aligned with my goals. This will make you seem ambitious, which is good (unless you have a history of hopping jobs).

Old 10-15-2010, 07:03 AM

364 posts, read 1,083,187 times
Can anyone else provide some input on this inevitable question when leaving an employer? ---Why do you want to leave your current position?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:27 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,640,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
Can anyone else provide some input on this inevitable question when leaving an employer? ---Why do you want to leave your current position?
You did get advice and you are ignoring it-you need to be PC when it comes to an interview-and the person answered your question-it's a great answer.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:28 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,640,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
I was in a very similar position earlier this year. I just said that I wanted a challenge and that I wanted to go to a place that aligned with my goals. This will make you seem ambitious, which is good (unless you have a history of hopping jobs).
Perfect answer-

Old 10-15-2010, 08:47 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,307,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
It doesn't get any better than that.

Have you gotten an offer from the new company? If not, feel free to tell them that you'd prefer they hold off on contacting your current employer for the time being. Explain that you'd appreciate their discretion. If they're worth working for, they'll understand--they run into it every day and know that most people don't want their bosses finding out they are looking for a new job.

If they've already made you an offer and you are ready to accept, then you can tell them they are free to call.

Thing is, if it's your boss they want to call, make sure he or she knows ahead of time. Ask for the reference, don't just assume your boss will give you one.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:10 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,455,982 times
I like tban's answer as well, and you should be prepared for the interviewer to ask you exactly what your goals are and why they can't be met at your current place of employment. (My current employer asked many follow-up questions about what I was "missing" in the employer I had at the time and why I wanted to leave.) Be prepared to give specific examples about roles you would have at the new company that you currently do not have at your job, then talk about how excited you would be to have that added responsibility.

Most interviewers will call your current employer to ensure that you are actually employed. They will not disclose who they are, but they could ask questions like 1) does so-and-so work here? 2) how many hours does so-and-so work and what is her position? There is really no way to avoid this unless there is a place on the application that you can select saying "please do not contact my current employer." Most potential employers will only call and ask if you work there, though. If your current employer gets a call like this and asks you about it, just tell him/her that you opened a new line of credit (since credit card companies also call your current employer about these things if you are looking for a new card or loan.)

Old 10-15-2010, 12:16 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,272,407 times
It will definitely be a red flag. No matter what you say they are going to be thinking you could very well be leaving your new job in a short period of time.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:17 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,307,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It will definitely be a red flag. No matter what you say they are going to be thinking you could very well be leaving your new job in a short period of time.
Meh. It's the OP's first job out of college. It's okay to move around a bit. It's half-expected.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:24 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,272,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Meh. It's the OP's first job out of college. It's okay to move around a bit. It's half-expected.
I don't think too many companies are expecting it to happen after 5 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment