Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 05:50 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,287,907 times

Advertisements

I have what in this economy seems to be a rare problem.

My current employer, where I have been working for almost a year as a temp, has finally made me an offer. It's a bit disappointing, but it is at least a full time gig with benefits.

At the same time, I have an offer from another employer. Each offer has pros and cons.

Current employer is a third shift job, and as long as I am there, I will always be third shift. There is no prospect of moving to days, unless my manager retires or leaves. Which is possible, I suppose. There have been major changes in management in the last 2-3 months, and many long term employees are unhappy and looking to leave. There have been a number of layoffs. I feel I am safe from the layoffs because of my particular qualifications, which are hard to find. However, there is no security here, as I suppose is true everywhere. My daily commute is about 50 minutes each way. Unknown chance of a raise in one year, due to new management.

Prospective employer is offering the same wage and similar benefits. It is day shift. The commute would be cut in half, more or less. It is a company that I predict will be growing, more likely than contracting. It is a direct hire position, no temp agency involved. Good prospects of a raise in 6 months, and another in one year.

However, both employers are offering an initial rate that is lower than I can get if I become willing to leave the state (Michigan). I am seriously considering this, as I could get 50% or more pay if I do. So, whichever job I take, I will still be looking for new opportunities.

Current employer offers these advantages as I see it:
  • Known situation. I have the respect of management and my peers.
  • Night shift may be more convenient for seeking new jobs, such as availability for interviews during the day.
  • Manager will give me time off as needed to interview, as he is aware of and sympathetic to the wage situation. He has offered to give a good reference.
  • Possibility of moving into management if my manager leaves for whatever reason.
  • Dept of Defense supplier
Prospective employer offers these advantages:
  • Shorter commute=more time at home with the family and less spent in fuel.
  • Day shift=something resembling a normal life if I do decide to stay.
  • Probably more room for growth over time. Also a foot in the door of an industry which is hard to crack.
  • Nuclear power supplier
I'm just sort of thinking out loud here, weighing my options, and though I would seek input here. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 06:07 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,555,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
I have what in this economy seems to be a rare problem.

My current employer, where I have been working for almost a year as a temp, has finally made me an offer. It's a bit disappointing, but it is at least a full time gig with benefits.

At the same time, I have an offer from another employer. Each offer has pros and cons.

Current employer is a third shift job, and as long as I am there, I will always be third shift. There is no prospect of moving to days, unless my manager retires or leaves. Which is possible, I suppose. There have been major changes in management in the last 2-3 months, and many long term employees are unhappy and looking to leave. There have been a number of layoffs. I feel I am safe from the layoffs because of my particular qualifications, which are hard to find. However, there is no security here, as I suppose is true everywhere. My daily commute is about 50 minutes each way. Unknown chance of a raise in one year, due to new management.

Prospective employer is offering the same wage and similar benefits. It is day shift. The commute would be cut in half, more or less. It is a company that I predict will be growing, more likely than contracting. It is a direct hire position, no temp agency involved. Good prospects of a raise in 6 months, and another in one year.

However, both employers are offering an initial rate that is lower than I can get if I become willing to leave the state (Michigan). I am seriously considering this, as I could get 50% or more pay if I do. So, whichever job I take, I will still be looking for new opportunities.

Current employer offers these advantages as I see it:
  • Known situation. I have the respect of management and my peers.
  • Night shift may be more convenient for seeking new jobs, such as availability for interviews during the day.
  • Manager will give me time off as needed to interview, as he is aware of and sympathetic to the wage situation. He has offered to give a good reference.
  • Possibility of moving into management if my manager leaves for whatever reason.
  • Dept of Defense supplier
Prospective employer offers these advantages:
  • Shorter commute=more time at home with the family and less spent in fuel.
  • Day shift=something resembling a normal life if I do decide to stay.
  • Probably more room for growth over time. Also a foot in the door of an industry which is hard to crack.
  • Nuclear power supplier
I'm just sort of thinking out loud here, weighing my options, and though I would seek input here. Thank you in advance.
To me "prospective employer" is the clear choice especially since its a day shift and shorter commute (and you have a family).

Old 01-11-2010, 06:29 PM

145 posts, read 576,971 times
The "prospective employer" is the one I would pick for all the reasons you listed (room for growth, day shift, shorter commute).

The fact that your current temp job has had a major change in management and several layoffs with no chance for a move to days, as well as your manager willing to give you time off to interview just doesn't sit well with me.

Good luck whichever way you chose to go.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:02 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,066,529 times
I agree with the other posters. Gas is expensive and 2 hours a day with your family or doing what you want is valuable.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:31 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,287,907 times
Thanks to all. That's the way I was leaning, too. Well, off to turn in my notice.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:34 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,955,807 times
I would go with the prospective employer as well. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment