Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:50 AM

87 posts, read 93,468 times

Advertisements

I am currently in a very unique position to finally be able to start a career after spending many years working jobs just to get by. The problem is, I look terrible on paper. Once granted an interview, I do great. It's getting the interview that's the problem. With unemployment being what it is, they are asking for 4 year degrees on entry level positions. I have no degree, but am capable of outperforming my peers in most cases.

So how do I get that interview? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,992,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryren8972 View Post
but am capable of outperforming my peers in most cases.
You can't possibly know this, because you do not know what you're potential peers are capable of. It might be that in most cases, your peers can outperform you.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:32 AM

Funny that you should take offense. I was just going on past experience. My hard work and quick thinking always had me doing a better job than most. I wasn't cutting anyone down, I was selling myself. Sorry you took it the wrong way.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:35 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,372,622 times
truth be told, times are hard now. businesses are delaying hiring. economics don't look good overall. and everyone is hoping for better.

so it is not just you or even about you. times are hard. whether this is encouraging to you, i don't know.

Lots of young people with good work records, education, and capabilities are trying their best to get into the work force and i wish you all well.

suggestion to all is to take a job any job and give it 110% and perhaps opportunities will open up. either within that industry or some chance opportunity. or maybe that will tide you over until things get better.

Good luck.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Funny that you should take offense. I was just going on past experience. My hard work and quick thinking always had me doing a better job than most. I wasn't cutting anyone down, I was selling myself. Sorry you took it the wrong way.
No offense taken. Just pointing out a dubious claim in your statement.

As far as getting interviews, that's a case-by-case deal. People have different views as to what will make a good employee. Just read through this forum for evidence of that.

Keep putting your best foot forward. Present yourself in a confident manner, but beware of appearing arrogant. Seek assistance through employment agencies. Be optimistic. Network. Apply, apply, apply.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Dubious or cocky? =)

Old 10-10-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Dubious or cocky? =)
Dubious. You can start being cocky when you have a job making good money and contributing something great to society. Steve Jobs could be cocky. Bill Gates can be cocky. Richard Branson can be cocky. Until you've done something very few others have been able to accomplish, you should know your role.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:36 AM

475 posts, read 1,377,071 times
Why are you able to start on this career? Did you just finish training or school? Are you new to the field or do you have contacts? Those contacts can be important if you've never worked in the field.

Have you had a professional review your resume or yourself found a way to maximize it's potential?
Make sure your message is consistent with the job you are applying to, make sure the "get by" jobs show achievements of some kind, even if you hated them. You can't really predict, just make sure you are putting out your best.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:39 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,984,744 times
unless u have some specific skill or trade getting a more traditional job without a college degree may be next to impossible. a 4 yr degree is the most basic elementary requirement for most jobs that pay decent and may have a career path. So, either start working towards a degree OR acquire a skill or trade....there are no longer vague jobs out there that turn into something good, maybe sales otherwise it will be difficult

Old 10-10-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Dubious. You can start being cocky when you have a job making good money and contributing something great to society. Steve Jobs could be cocky. Bill Gates can be cocky. Richard Branson can be cocky. Until you've done something very few others have been able to accomplish, you should know your role.

Not quite sure why this particular thread has hit a bone with you. However, it's obvious I'm not outperforming the above mentioned, or I wouldn't have time to be on here. They also aren't the norm, as you've pointed out. I didn't make doubtful claims, at least not in my mind. I'm fully capable of proving that I do a much better job than most people I've worked with or for. It's not because I'm better than anyone, it's because I try harder. I work out problems and fix them. If I'm doing something wrong, I fix that too. Truth be known, in the real world, it really is hard to find good help. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment