Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 11:43 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,975,846 times

Advertisements

what kind of job are u looking for? what is this career u want to start? u r being too vague. how will u outperform a skilled accountant or software developer? your "outperformance" claim is irrelevant unless u r referring to an hourly dead end job that anyone could get and requires no exp or specific knowledge. do u have specific skills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 11:44 AM

87 posts, read 93,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
unless u have some specific skill or trade getting a more traditional job without a college degree may be next to impossible. a 4 yr degree is the most basic elementary requirement for most jobs that pay decent and may have a career path. So, either start working towards a degree OR acquire a skill or trade....there are no longer vague jobs out there that turn into something good, maybe sales otherwise it will be difficult

This is what I've noticed. I'm actually bending toward working a part time job and getting a degree in the meantime. It's an option, and I'm still chewing on it.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
what kind of job are u looking for? what is this career u want to start? u r being too vague. how will u outperform a skilled accountant or software developer? your "outperformance" claim is irrelevant unless u r referring to an hourly dead end job that anyone could get and requires no exp or specific knowledge. do u have specific skills?

I am leaning toward Human Resources. It's a field that I've always been interested in, and have gathered the necessary skills along the way. Yes, I've worked jobs with no specific skill requirements...but I've always learned and grew from that. I've also worked jobs that DID require certain skills...although in reality they ALL do. I had no intention of people taking offense to that remark. I said peers, meaning people in my skill set...not Doctors. I have a list of skills, if you're really interested in hearing about them. I was looking more for a way to sell myself to the current job market, but what from what I've seen, and from the comments on here, that's a next to impossible task without a piece of paper saying I'm worthy.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peet111 View Post
Why are you able to start on this career? Did you just finish training or school? Are you new to the field or do you have contacts? Those contacts can be important if you've never worked in the field.

Have you had a professional review your resume or yourself found a way to maximize it's potential?
Make sure your message is consistent with the job you are applying to, make sure the "get by" jobs show achievements of some kind, even if you hated them. You can't really predict, just make sure you are putting out your best.

This I have already accomplished. My resume is tweaked about as well as it's going to be. I'm proud of the things I've accomplished in every job I've worked.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:06 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,975,846 times
there are a lot of people these days with various degrees who also look terrible on paper with large employment gaps, outdated references, etc. just make the best out of your current skills while contemplating getting a degree or trade

Old 10-10-2011, 01:20 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,983,500 times
Quote:
there are a lot of people these days with various degrees who also look terrible on paper with large employment gaps, outdated references, etc. just make the best out of your current skills while contemplating getting a degree or trade
This is reasonable advice for this economic climate. If you can, go back to school for more training. Consider it a long term investment. Maybe your current employer will even cover some of the costs.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
This is reasonable advice for this economic climate. If you can, go back to school for more training. Consider it a long term investment. Maybe your current employer will even cover some of the costs.

Doesn't everyone dream of the job that pays for you to go to school also? I'm in a good position to go back to school...and as I said, I'm seriously considering it. At this time, I'm looking for either full time employment in a position that will ultimately turn into a viable career, or part time position while working on an education.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:40 PM

404 posts, read 1,150,037 times
Great thing about resumes over applications is that you have free reign to SELL YOURSELF. You dont have to put every single job you've worked. You dont have to list your education. If you have outperformed your peers like you've claimed then list how ie: "produced $20,000 in sales for Sept 2011 and lead my team in sales for 3 months." Elaborate on what you do great and how you can be an asset to the company you're applying for. Explain how you are the absolute best for the position and how they will benefit from having you. Don't just think of your resume and cover letter as a self made job application.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:42 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,947,671 times
You're still in school and haven't entirely decided on your career path, but you're certain that you always outperform your coworkers? I think that's more than dubious, that smells. It sounds like you're moving up a level, from some sort of hourly skilled job, to an educated job. Good for you. But it's like being the star quarterback in high school and then moving up to college: guess what, you aren't going to be the first string quarterback now, you're going to be second string. You aren't the star player anymore, your a bench warmer who's going to have to work harder to prove yourself because your in a whole different league, and your competition are better than you've encountered before.

I also don't get why you started this threat by saying that you don't look good on paper, and then said that your resume is as tweaked as it can be. If you don't look good on paper, then your resume ISN'T as good as it can be.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
You're still in school and haven't entirely decided on your career path, but you're certain that you always outperform your coworkers? I think that's more than dubious, that smells. It sounds like you're moving up a level, from some sort of hourly skilled job, to an educated job. Good for you. But it's like being the star quarterback in high school and then moving up to college: guess what, you aren't going to be the first string quarterback now, you're going to be second string. You aren't the star player anymore, your a bench warmer who's going to have to work harder to prove yourself because your in a whole different league, and your competition are better than you've encountered before.

I also don't get why you started this threat by saying that you don't look good on paper, and then said that your resume is as tweaked as it can be. If you don't look good on paper, then your resume ISN'T as good as it can be.

I'm not still in school, didn't realize I had given that impression. What I said was...I was thinking of going back to school. As for my resume, I have tweaked it as much as it can be tweaked, but let's be fair, and let me just throw this out there. My last job, I worked as a Cashier at a dealership. I did this for 4 years. In that four years, the boss started relying on me more and more for other things. At one point, I even showed him how to save 17,000 a year just by tweaking the schedule some. Is that in my resume? Yep. But what people see is CASHIER. Even though, technically, it's customer service experience, accounting (we had to maintain a ledger) , even scheduling, answering phones, and sometimes even Administrative Assistant duties. All of that is in the resume. I've made it look as good as it can look.

I've held supervisor positions at restaurants. I've hired, fired, disciplined, scheduled. I even completely started a new system for duties that actually held people accountable. I've listed all of that. But what the HR dept sees, is RESTAURANT.

I can give many more examples. I'm a little bitter at the present moment because I interviewed recently for an HR position, and they kept stressing that I had no experience. Well of course I have. I've hired, fired, disciplined, gone through applicants to decide worthy candidates. I know computers inside and out. All of the nice little computer skills you need, I have those. I even type 85 words a minute. Did it matter? Nope. They wanted a degree or 4 years experience. I pointed out that technically I had MORE than 4 years experience. The frustrating part is, they liked ME. They "wished" that I had more experience in HR (as I said, they highlighted this over and over). This is also a concentration of events. This sort of thing has been happened more than once. At least this time I was awarded an interview, mostly I either get silence or an email letting me know that my experience level isn't what they're looking for.

At any rate...I will keep plugging away, and school is a definite possibility.

You are right about being second string though. I'm perfectly willing to start at the bottom and work my way up. I just want that opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment