Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:41 AM

43 posts, read 158,755 times

Advertisements

I've always felt like a strong employee -- I've always done everything that's been asked of me in an efficient, yet meticulous, manner. But my biggest weakness is that I'm terrible in meetings.

I'm an introvert by nature, so I tend to listen but I don't offer much input during the meetings. I'm more of the type who can take in information and then go back to my desk and find a solution. Anyone else function this way?

I've never been confronted by a superior and asked why I don't contribute during these meetings, but I always wonder how they view me. Any advice for someone who simply isn't any good at meetings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 11:47 AM

318 posts, read 506,338 times
I had a bad habit of just observing and listening, but i did have to learn how to find something to contribute, but something useful and when i had question, i make sure to ask. now, after being with the company for almost 3 yrs, on my reviews they always mention how much they appreciate my input in meetings.

do you feel as though you cant think of anything to contribute? or do you just think of comments/questions in your head and save them for later?

Old 12-15-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSyddy View Post
do you feel as though you cant think of anything to contribute? or do you just think of comments/questions in your head and save them for later?
I mostly just don't feel comfortable in meetings. I think the anxiety of the setting prevents me from clearly articulating my thoughts, so I end up just sitting and listening. I'm definitely more of a worker and less of a organizer/planner. I'm always my happiest when I'm just sitting at my desk tackling a project. I cringe every time a meeting request comes through.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:35 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj01 View Post
I've always felt like a strong employee -- I've always done everything that's been asked of me in an efficient, yet meticulous, manner. But my biggest weakness is that I'm terrible in meetings.

I'm an introvert by nature, so I tend to listen but I don't offer much input during the meetings. I'm more of the type who can take in information and then go back to my desk and find a solution. Anyone else function this way?

I've never been confronted by a superior and asked why I don't contribute during these meetings, but I always wonder how they view me. Any advice for someone who simply isn't any good at meetings?

I used to be the same way since I;m a shy guy and hated speaking inside staff meetings. But then when my responsibilities changed and I had to give reports I started getting used to it. My advice is just to write down some things you want to suggest in the meeting like 1 or 2 things so you can look like you care about the performance of the company.

I know it's tough when you may not be used to even being inside a staff meeting. When I got my forst professional job I didn't even know there was a such thing as a staff meeting LOL

Old 12-15-2012, 05:50 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:

I think it's better that you do that than be that person who always has to take over and gets the meeting off track.

My personal rule is to keep my mouth shut during meetings and just listen to everyone else and watch everyone else's reactions to one another. You learn a lot that way. I speak up when I absolutely know I have something to say that will either make people think in the right direction or know I have a good solution to suggest.

It sounds to me as if continuing to do what you are doing is the best thing, although again, if you have a good solution, you might want to offer it during the meeting. Or ask that one good question that you know everyone else is afraid to ask. Then everyone will think you are SO smart.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:53 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
I mostly just don't feel comfortable in meetings. I think the anxiety of the setting prevents me from clearly articulating my thoughts, so I end up just sitting and listening. I'm definitely more of a worker and less of a organizer/planner. I'm always my happiest when I'm just sitting at my desk tackling a project. I cringe every time a meeting request comes through.
I have to go to meetings all the time now in the position I'm in, but I'd really rather just sit at my desk tackling a project, too. Still, I learned to manage myself at the meetings as I said above, mostly by keeping my mouth shut and learning by watching and listening. You pick up a lot. Concentrate on that, and it may help dispel your anxiety.

For example, I see some power struggles going on amongst higher-level executive types all the time. There is one guy who absolutely cannot hide his feelings--I watch him roll his eyes, purse his lips, make faces of disgust when this other guy is talking. I just file that type of info away in my little pea-brain for future reference.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:28 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
The key to speaking at meetings isn't just to talk, but knowing when and how to talk (and when not to talk). And really the only way to get more comfortable is just by doing it.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:37 PM

853 posts, read 4,038,751 times
It sounds like you like to think before you offer your thoughts, which should be a good thing! However, in addition to the good suggestions you got already, if it starts to seem like you are expected to contribute more (which is feedback I tend to receive), maybe a boss or someone else could give you insights ahead of meetings that might let you think things through beforehand, and then maybe you'd be more comfortable?

Old 12-15-2012, 06:51 PM

Thanks for all the great responses. You all really hit on some great points. For me, I think it's an anxiety-related thing. When I'm at my desk working, I can identify problems and find solutions to those problems somewhat easily. It's like figuring out a puzzle and I enjoy it. But as soon as I get into a meeting I'm like a mumbling, stumbling mess. I feel my heart rate go up and my mind starts racing and it's very difficult for me to piece together clear thoughts. The funny thing is, I'm not like this outside of the office. I'm actually a pretty laid back person. For whatever reason, I turn into a bumbling idiot when i try to talk in a meeting. I'm fairly well into my career so it's becoming more difficult for me to get by without saying much. It's been very frustrating, to say the least.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:56 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:

You literally just described me. Its awful. I'm in a new job where I now have no choice but to meet with clients. Miraculously, I avoided this the first 20 years of my career. Now, as a mid-level employee, I'm supposed to know how to do this. I SUCK at it. So I overprepare because I don't ever want a client asking me a question I can't answer. Its pretty bad. My issue is also anxiety related and not wanting to sound like a fool.

We have weekly staff meetings and one of the owners of the company LOVES public speaking and will randomly call on someone to summarize a meeting if you were in it with him. So of course, yesterday he did that to me. Talk about dear in headlights. I deferred it to someone else. I honestly can't speak off the cuff. So my lesson from that was to always be ready if he and I are in a meeting together to summarize it later. But I have to consciously think about it and prepare. I can't just be called on in front of everyone and speak intelligently. It sucks.

I honestly don't know what to do about this. I'm an introvet also, and heavy client interaction wears me out. Yet this is the field I'm in. I've tried Toastmasters, Dale Carnegie training, and other trainings. I've read business books. Nothing helps. I wish I had some advice for you. I could use some advice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment