Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:48 AM

404 posts, read 1,149,391 times

Advertisements

List a catchy objective to sell yourself. ie "To utilize my experience and skills in the HR and management field to grow your company and increase efficiency" This pulls in the people reading your resume and gives them a reason to read it.

I'd alter the title "cashier" to something more significant but just list all the same duties and accomplishments. Use something like Sales Clerk, Point of Sales Coordinator, Sales Associate. Make people reading your resume go past your title and actually read your duties and accomplishments. With "cashier" it's too easy to jump to conclusions and make assumptions.

For the restaurant supervisor position, focus HEAVILY on your HR related duties and list those at the top. Don't list the word "restaurant" anywhere on your resume. Use the title Staff Supervisor, Team Leader.

Look up a TON of HR job listings, pick keywords that are consistent in all of the listings, and use them in your resume. For example "hiring" "staff" "recruiting"

Dont worry about education. Most HR professionals have a BS major like Psychology, Anthropology, History but stumbled on HR because it's the only job they can get.

DM me if you want more advice. I'll show you my resume and cover letter as an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 08:05 AM

87 posts, read 93,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
List a catchy objective to sell yourself. ie "To utilize my experience and skills in the HR and management field to grow your company and increase efficiency" This pulls in the people reading your resume and gives them a reason to read it.

I'd alter the title "cashier" to something more significant but just list all the same duties and accomplishments. Use something like Sales Clerk, Point of Sales Coordinator, Sales Associate. Make people reading your resume go past your title and actually read your duties and accomplishments. With "cashier" it's too easy to jump to conclusions and make assumptions.

For the restaurant supervisor position, focus HEAVILY on your HR related duties and list those at the top. Don't list the word "restaurant" anywhere on your resume. Use the title Staff Supervisor, Team Leader.

Look up a TON of HR job listings, pick keywords that are consistent in all of the listings, and use them in your resume. For example "hiring" "staff" "recruiting"

Dont worry about education. Most HR professionals have a BS major like Psychology, Anthropology, History but stumbled on HR because it's the only job they can get.

DM me if you want more advice. I'll show you my resume and cover letter as an example.

Thank you! =) Is it OK to change your actual title? I haven't actually considered that before. I was offered a job once where my resume was simply a list of skills, with no actual job descriptions. They asked why I did it that way, and I was honest with them, explaining that I wanted to break out of the restaurant business but felt that no one was giving me a shot because of experience. I took the job, unfortunately there was no room for advancement. It wasn't the "step up" I was hoping for, but more of a lateral move. I will dm you for sure. =)

Old 10-11-2011, 08:49 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,644,688 times
What do you want to do in HR?

I say this because HR is a massive field.

You have Compensation, Talent Management, Employee Relations, Corporate Policies and other Administrative High Level Functions, Recruitment, Training and Development, Payroll, HRIS, and the list goes on and on and on and on.

As someone who works in "HR" although not remotely connected to most of those other things-- telling me you have hired and fired, disciplined, rewarded, and have a high proficiency of computers does not mean to me that you have the requisite experience to say work in International Employee Management (Expats/Inpats), Payroll, or HRIS.

An HR Generalist is just that-- but even then those folks tend to have to understand employment law, benefits administration, payroll, etc. It is not just an easy learn on the job kind of thing at a Generalist level.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:31 AM

And this is the sort of walls I'm hitting. HR is usually, in most companies, a combination of what you mentioned above. Once again, I was remiss in spelling out every detail of my job experience on here, probably because it's a public forum. However, most HR departments don't break it down quite the way you have above...I'm sure you're aware of this. What part of "HR" do you work in? And why the quotes?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:32 AM

I'm a little disappointed, I guess, in the fact that I came on here asking for advice, and instead folks have felt the need to rip me a new one. I'm also not sure what part of...I'm willing to work my way up, no one is getting. I would be more than happy to work on a temp basis to PROVE competency. What I'm lacking is that opportunity. Are you all saying that I shouldn't ask for an opportunity? That somehow I am not deserving of one? That working hard has no credibility? And you all wonder why people get discouraged and give up? Sure, it would be easier to give up, it's just not the stuff I'm made of. Pounding me on here isn't going to change my determination. However, I would much prefer some advice as opposed to a beating.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:14 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,158,005 times
Cryren
Have you tried looking for a job in your local government? Either the city, county or a local district?
I have friends who have worked their way up from switchboard operator to HR Generalist, etc.
It can be done.
Try it.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Cryren
Have you tried looking for a job in your local government? Either the city, county or a local district?
I have friends who have worked their way up from switchboard operator to HR Generalist, etc.
It can be done.
Try it.

This is actually a regular resume cycle for me. I go to the local town, county, and state websites to see what they have. Schools, libraries, etc. I haven't given up on those either. Thank you. =)

Old 10-11-2011, 03:49 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,644,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryren8972 View Post
And this is the sort of walls I'm hitting. HR is usually, in most companies, a combination of what you mentioned above. Once again, I was remiss in spelling out every detail of my job experience on here, probably because it's a public forum. However, most HR departments don't break it down quite the way you have above...I'm sure you're aware of this. What part of "HR" do you work in? And why the quotes?
The quotes because I was re-emphasizing my point that saying you want to work in HR is like my younger cousin saying she wants to work in Business.

What parts of HR interest you?

Most companies I have worked for differentiate HR activities. Even the public healthcare system I worked for had various departments within HR.

I work in the payroll industry in an HRIS role.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:46 PM

Out of curiosity, I looked up Human Resource Departments to see if maybe I was somehow misinformed. However, it seems to be broken down into HR Assistant, HR Manager, and HR Generalist. Payroll can answer to either HR or Finance, depending upon the company, and the other groups you listed are usually covered by one or two HR employees. The typical hiring guideline for HR is to have one HR person per 100 employees, so it's not necessary to break it down unless it's a HUGE company. I'm interested in all of them, which is why I chose HR =). If I had to pick one, I would go for Training and Development and Employee Relations. Although I'm very strong in Payroll Applications as well.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:07 PM

6,828 posts, read 9,084,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post

I have to say, this is really excellent advice. If the OP wants to work in HR, they need to learn the skill of writing an effective resume. That's not an insult because the OP has already admitted their resume is not effective.

I wouldn't give up just because you don't have a degree. Degrees are helpful but they aren't the only road to success. Lots of people have been successful in business without a 4 year degree. I finished college by working as a secretary during the day and went to school at night for a Bachelors in Computer Science. I have no regrets, but I was lucky to find a school that had an evening program.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment