Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 07:30 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,800,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I think I found the job listing:
HA!!!

That's why only 12 people showed up.

They want a rocket science to do this job for below market rate while serving them with a side of passive-agressiveness and treating them worse than the government would treat a harden criminal just to get the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
As for what your job offer... My god. When I was 18 years old, I could walk my way into a job and get health insurance in 3 months, make 50% more than your crap wage, shorts were the norm but I pride myself in professional attire, and if I needed time off, I made enough not to worry about whether it's paid or not... Of course, 2 weeks a year was the norm. Your job sucks no matter how pretty you package it. I'm gen Y, and I work my butt off so I don't have to take crap jobs like this one. Please tell me... What good is it that I get to bring my dog in, IF I CANNOT AFFORD TO FEED OR SHELTER A DOG???
Just an FYI, we were in the middle of our greatest economic expansion since WWII when you were 18.

Times (and people apparently) have completely changed since then.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Umm, why does any high school graduate with a brain go to college??? Because their parents tell them they won't have to take these kinds of crap paying jobs if they do! Great, 10/hr... Can buy a lotta top ramen with that
True, but in this economy, it's a good wage.

Most college graduates/recent high school graduates are lucky to land a minimum wage/part time job at Wal-Mart.

Didn't you say nearly all of your friends who graduated with you here in Michigan were doing roughly that right now?

Old 09-24-2011, 07:43 AM

17,029 posts, read 31,068,911 times
I would email my resume first. Sorry I wouldn't 'just show up', seems a bit unprofessional. I agree with your resume tips though. How hard is it to create jsmith555@yahoo.com.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:52 AM

And it's funny how everyone ignored this part too...

Quote:
-Those with complexions closer to paste are ENCOURAGED to apply.
In other words, he's only looking to hire white people.

Racial discrimination anyone?

And while all the other stuff isn't technically "illegal", who the hell does he expect to show up with those types of demands?

Then the $8.55hr is not even full time.

If I showed up for any reason, it would be to give him a good sock in the lip. He's the poster child of an awful employee even in good times that taking even more advantage of an awful situation that needs to be put in their place.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:02 AM

3,827 posts, read 9,557,992 times
$10 an hour and health care within a year is a lot better than most jobs in our state. If you are 20-24 years old without a college degree(heck,even with one) the alternatives are part time retail work, waiting tables or if you are lucky you might be able to land a job at a high stress call center. From looking at our resumes looks like Verizon, Citigroup, Direct TV and other big name companies pay about the same or maybe a buck or two an hour higher than I do.

I will feel good about giving someone a fulltime job that gets them out of working retail or waiting tables. In 2-3 years if the economy gets better and they want to use my job as a stepping stone to a better job, more power to them. I'll just find another 20-something that wants out of retail or food service.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:07 AM

3,827 posts, read 9,557,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

In other words, he's only looking to hire white people.

Racial discrimination anyone?

And while all the other stuff isn't technically "illegal", who the hell does he expect to show up with those types of demands?

Then the $8.55hr is not even full time.

If I showed up for any reason, it would be to give him a good sock in the lip. He's the poster child of an awful employee even in good times that taking even more advantage of an awful situation that needs to be put in their place.
Don't know where people found that job posting, not even close to my ad. We are a small company but pretty diverse. 25% of our employees are either Native American, Asian or Hispanic. Which is a larger proportion than our state which is almost 90% White.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:12 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,550,630 times
i like Careerbuilder.com better than Craigslist. Because i can search different cities and fields better.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 70,005,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Don't know where people found that job posting, not even close to my ad. We are a small company but pretty diverse. 25% of our employees are either Native American, Asian or Hispanic. Which is a larger proportion than our state which is almost 90% White.
That job posting was obviously created by the person who posted it. It was an attempt at humor, albeit not a very clever one. It's utterly gobsmacking to think that anyone could actually have supposed it to be a real job posting, let alone yours.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 70,005,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Not half as funny as the fact that you believed it to be real. Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment