Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 09:09 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,207,859 times

Advertisements

A collection firm called me the other day. They found my resume of Monster. RED FLAG.

It was for a collections position........I have no desire to do collections nor did I apply for the job.

So I talk to the guy over the phone about the gig and here's what he said.

He told me, that each collector is EXPECTED to make 400, yes 400 hundred calls a day. IF I was to get hired I'd need to have collected money within 2 days or I would be sent home for 1 day. After I return from my 1 day "punishment", I'd have another 2 days to collect some money, if I did not, I would be fired.

I asked him what the turnover rate was and he said he has hired 12 people since June and none of them are with the company any longer.

I asked him what did he think the problem was and he said: I have no idea why the turnover is the way it is.

I told him no thanks........

I thought, this guy must think I'm dumb or he's dumb.

If you're still looking for a job, hang in there. I know it's rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 10:01 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,316,354 times
I remember after college I'd get phone calls from these financial service companies promising "excellent business opportunities". "I would manage my own branch" and "I would be my own boss". Blah blah. Yeah right! You know that when you're in a great recession and they're trying to recruit you so aggressively, something must be up.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:10 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,207,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
I remember after college I'd get phone calls from these financial service companies promising "excellent business opportunities". "I would manage my own branch" and "I would be my own boss". Blah blah. Yeah right! You know that when you're in a great recession and they're trying to recruit you so aggressively, something must be up.
hahaha........I've had those calls as well.

It's tough out there.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:53 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,775,753 times
Sales jobs have always been around, so that's not new. They're always "hiring" because the job is to bring in the revenue and share it with them, so in some sense you're a customer, not an employee!

Old 09-18-2010, 12:36 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,644,114 times
Sweet baby Jesus... 400 calls a day? There's only 480 minutes in an 8 hour shift. That's a little over a minute per call. Even if you factor in that you're not going to reach most people, the most you could do is a little over two calls per minute, because most phones ring for 20-30 seconds before voicemail or an answering machine/service picks up. How do they expect you to talk to people?

I do a lot of cold calling prospecting to other businesses, and it takes me about 2-3 hours to do 50 calls. Granted, my calls are a bit longer and sometimes I have to call back, but still. I can't imagine doing 400 in a day.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:24 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,775,753 times
One trick is that they dial more than one phone at once, and the collector hangs up on the other lines when the first one answers.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,118,015 times
That was a ODD way to sell someone a job opening
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment