Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 07:24 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,750,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, because to only have 12 people show up these days is unheard of.
And even if the wage isn't amazing for a seasoned CSR, I could certainly see a ton of recent high school graduates or college students who would jump at the chance of landing a job with no experience for $!0/hr.

So yeah, anytime I see something like this (an employer whining about not finding employees), there's always some BS involved they're not telling us.

So in other words, for those defending the OP, don't fall for the hype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,059,209 times
I think I found the job listing:

Quote:
Our company is currently hiring a well qualified customer service rep for our facility. Only respond if you meet ALL of the qualifications.

Requirements:

-No less than 6 years experience as a customer service rep in the _____ field. Other customer service experience will NOT be considered.

-Must have an MBA from a tier 1 university. Anything less will not be considered.

-Must be available from 5am-11pm Monday-Sunday. You will work 39 hours per week sometime during those hours.

-Must not have any traffic offenses. Yes, speeding tickets will disqualify you.

-Must submit to a credit check. Credit score must be greater than 720.

-Must take a blood and hair sample to test for drugs and alcohol.

-Men over the age of 40 will have a prostate exam by hiring manager.

-Your body fat measurement must be below 12% for men, and below 15% for women.

-Must bring medical transcripts to interview. Any pre-existing condition will disqualify you.

-Must currently be employed. No unemployed losers!

-Must be well-groomed. Body hair must be kept trimmed, fingernails polished for women or clean and trimmed for males.

-Your country of birth must be the USA.

-Those with complexions closer to paste are ENCOURAGED to apply.

Benefits:

-39 hours per week

-$8.55 per hour starting wage. Performance review after 365 days with a raise possible at that time.

-Work with one of the most successful companies in the city.

-15 minute unpaid lunch break.

-May turn into a full-time position after 365 day performance review.

IMPORTANT:

Drop off your resume in person only! If you email your resume, it will be deleted. Phone calls not accepted.

Bring 7 references with you. If you don't have 7 references, don't waste my time.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:15 PM

29,837 posts, read 24,937,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
And even if the wage isn't amazing for a seasoned CSR, I could certainly see a ton of recent high school graduates or college students who would jump at the chance of landing a job with no experience for $!0/hr.

So yeah, anytime I see something like this (an employer whining about not finding employees), there's always some BS involved they're not telling us.

So in other words, for those defending the OP, don't fall for the hype.
Umm, why does any high school graduate with a brain go to college??? Because their parents tell them they won't have to take these kinds of crap paying jobs if they do! Great, 10/hr... Can buy a lotta top ramen with that

Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,485,140 times
I only need one person to fill this job, so I don't care if 100 people show up or 12. Since the company was founded 15 years ago not one person has left the company for another job. The only people that have left were either fired or had a spouse with a military deployment that caused them to leave.

My original point is that most of the resumes that I have received are pure crap.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I only need one person to fill this job, so I don't care if 100 people show up or 12. Since the company was founded 15 years ago not one person has left the company for another job. The only people that have left were either fired or had a spouse with a military deployment that caused them to leave.

My original point is that most of the resumes that I have received are pure crap.
Than offer more $$$ and quit whining. If you wanna pay peanuts, your get the pick of the peanut gallery. Just because you expect people to show up in person to beg for your crap paying job doesn't mean it's going to happen your way. If I we're looking for a job, I'd laugh at your offer. After reading that I must show up in person, I would suspect you have some considerable mental deficits. Get real.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:07 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times
OP your initial posts indicates you are NOT getting what you seek, and in this economy, that means what you are offering is viewed as insufficient for what you seek.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:12 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,485,140 times
Not whining at all, have 3-4 qualified applicants and it did not cost me anything. Just complaining about how crappy the resumes of the people I won't talk to are.

I really don't want 100's of people applying for this job, all I need is 20-30 people and I can find one that suits my needs.

What I am seeing is that Generation Y just likes to complain about how stuff isn't fair. These are the people that got trophies for just participating in soccer, not for actually winning anything when they were kids.

So I get it, I'm an evil boss that will hire someone to work in shorts and t-shirts, doesn't discriminate against tattoos and piercings, allows beer o'clock on Fridays and occasionally lets employees bring their dogs in. Don't forget that I will pay for health insurance after the first year and paid vacations.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Not whining at all, have 3-4 qualified applicants and it did not cost me anything. Just complaining about how crappy the resumes of the people I won't talk to are.

I really don't want 100's of people applying for this job, all I need is 20-30 people and I can find one that suits my needs.

What I am seeing is that Generation Y just likes to complain about how stuff isn't fair. These are the people that got trophies for just participating in soccer, not for actually winning anything when they were kids.

So I get it, I'm an evil boss that will hire someone to work in shorts and t-shirts, doesn't discriminate against tattoos and piercings, allows beer o'clock on Fridays and occasionally lets employees bring their dogs in. Don't forget that I will pay for health insurance after the first year and paid vacations.
You don't get it. When you offer 10/hr, the majority of the resumes are going to suck. What is the relevance of 10% unemployment if, hypothetically speaking, the 10% are the bottom rung of employability? It's meaningless. I know there are many good people out of work right now, but guess what... A great many of them are not desperate enough to take what they may view as below there skill level or education. Therefore, your ideal candidate that you seek may very well have no interest in working for you. Now, if you offered 15/hr, they may have some interest. Since your offering 10/hr, you will have to spend that much more time sifting through the crap resumes to find you gem. There is nothing unusual about what your complaining about, except that it completely took you by surprise.

As for what your job offer... My god. When I was 18 years old, I could walk my way into a job and get health insurance in 3 months, make 50% more than your crap wage, shorts were the norm but I pride myself in professional attire, and if I needed time off, I made enough not to worry about whether it's paid or not... Of course, 2 weeks a year was the norm. Your job sucks no matter how pretty you package it. I'm gen Y, and I work my butt off so I don't have to take crap jobs like this one. Please tell me... What good is it that I get to bring my dog in, IF I CANNOT AFFORD TO FEED OR SHELTER A DOG???

Old 09-23-2011, 10:07 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times
"Don't forget that I will pay for health insurance after the first year."

1 year? Geez wonder why you have openings. The standard at most companies is either 60 or 90 days.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,656,797 times
For $10 an hour and to have to a wait a year to get health insurance job seekers would be better off going to a temp agency and taking their chances on getting hired full time. Even some temp agencies will offer temps medical coverage after a couple of months.

I know someone who took a job paying 28K a year as a CSR, while the salary was much lower than their previous salary the employer covered the medical insurance 100%. So that made up for the low salary.

Waiting a full year to get medical coverage is unheard of.

As bobtn said it at the most 60 to 90 days and at many places from day one.

Who the hell cares about "beer o'clock" whatever that is. People can buy their own beer, they would rather have medical coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment