Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:49 AM

13,017 posts, read 19,031,632 times

Advertisements

video
According to them, welding is a good career choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 02:42 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,778,404 times
I know people who do welding and i know people that do HVAC, both are solid blue collar jobs, and both will provide you a good living. The real question is which one you prefer to do.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:46 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,778,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Or both --- learning one thing doesn't stop you from also learning another. The more you know, the more likely you'll always have work.

The problem with that is for anybody to truly learn enough about how to do the job requires an apprenticeship and training on the job working 8 hours a day as a helper/gofer. While you could certainly learn one and then start learning the other I would not want to spend a couple of years to become a fully certified welder making $20+ an hour and then going and learning HVAC making $10 an hour as an apprentice. unless you plan on working 16 hours a day it just would not make much sense for a guy to do on purpose.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:49 PM

30,129 posts, read 25,260,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
The problem with that is for anybody to truly learn enough about how to do the job requires an apprenticeship and training on the job working 8 hours a day as a helper/gofer. While you could certainly learn one and then start learning the other I would not want to spend a couple of years to become a fully certified welder making $20+ an hour and then going and learning HVAC making $10 an hour as an apprentice. unless you plan on working 16 hours a day it just would not make much sense for a guy to do on purpose.
I believe apprentices start much higher if they can get into their local union. I was surprised to learn how much the HVAC guys make as apprentices around here. Of course, the problem now is that so many are working relatively few hours. If they do not get enough, they risk not being able to complete their apprenticeship and not getting their journeyman card.

And not all shops pay crap for their apprentices. Sometimes $14-$15/hr is realistic for someone with a good work history and good references. If they have proven that they can learn one trade, than they should be able to learn another without issue. They start apprentices at my shop at $12/hr for HS kids, or $15/hr with experience. Great insurance without cost for the employee too. In many cases, the skills learned in one trade can be useful in another. Last company I worked for hired an out of work union pipefitter for a maintenance job.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:48 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,614,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Hvac is needed around the country, and seems to be in demand. Like most trades though, it is effected by the economy. Residential demand drops, and there are illegals running around doing this kind of work. Like all trades, some jobs pay crap, and some pay pretty decent. There are certification programs to get you feet wet. Sometimes you can find a guy with a business that you can work as an apprentice for. Don't expect much starting out. As with all trades, your payment is mostly in skills and knowledge passed down that will pay off down the road.

Welding is always needed in construction. Welding in places like factories tends to pay less, and there isn't nearly as much demand for it as there used to be. Much of the welding these days in the factories is done by robotics, although there is always some demand for highly skilled welders in protype settings. I was always told that subpar welders work in factories, while the cream of the crop tends to do field work, construction, and the best paying is usually on the oil rigs. Underwater welding is the most dangerous, and as a result, pays the best. Sometimes injuries and death result for no clear reason... It's just a very hazzardous place to be welding! I knew a guy that got paid $2500 and got a free pickup truck for doing some welding in China for a day or two. He just happened to be there for a vacation and was asked to do it... Strange... But when a job needs to be done, there is generally a very small supply of people willing or able to do the job.

If you want to teach these trades in something like a shop class, usually a bachelors degree is required. Even in my high school shop classes, the guy teaching machining was required to have a bachelors degree. I'm not sure about technical schools or vocational schools. I've known a few machinists who taught at those types of programs, and they all had bachelors degrees. Not sure if it's a requirement, but seems like it's more than just a coincidence.

Now, you mentioned about getting certifications and experience fast... That doesn't happen. If you get a quick certification, that's all it is. You've committed to learn whatever some guy will talk about for that period of time. Generally the experience gained in the classroom is very light, and not heavily reinforced. Your best bet would be to find a guy looking for an apprentice, start at the bottom and work your way up. Expect to do the grunt work, heavy lifting, busting you butt for 8-10 hours a day for a pretty slim pay. $10 an hour these days is probably the norm. The thing is, even if you get the certs, your not worth much to anyone. You've got to get the on the job experience, that's where you will learn everything practical related to your chosen trade. It generally takes 4 years before an apprentice can start making money for his boss. If your good, you'll learn fast, make your boss money, and he'll want to keep you around by paying you more. That's how it's always worked.

At any rate, I always encourage young folks to consider these honest paying careers. I could never sit at a desk for 8 hours a day, it would drive me insane. Having a job where I'm on my feet, thinking, working with my hands and actually seeing my work in progress is a blessing. The best part about the trades... When you get sick of working for your boss, you can always make the transition to working for yourself. There are many options, but your success ultimately depends on how hard you work at it and how hungry you are for knowledge. A young man with a a desire to learn and a willingness to get the job done is still worth something even in this economy. Good luck.
Great post. Lots of useful info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment