Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 02:40 PM

973 posts, read 1,454,811 times

Advertisements

I am seeing something creeping outside my areas usual jobs. I am seeing a demand for welders from full hire to Temp Service listings.

So, I do have past experience in Arc Welding when I was a Millwright Apprentice... years and years back. Plus I have had a little time with an Industrial sized MIG (not proficient though even then.. just informal learning on break times in a shop). Never Certified in any type.

I have seen every once in a while, those Adult Continuing Education Classes. The types held in High Schools. Anyone know if those would be a good place to get Training in ARC, MIG and TIG... and if they are for certification or is certification a separate test from those classes.

Any other info on these Welding Certs would be appreciated too. Trying to catch a upswing in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 04:05 PM

29,855 posts, read 24,964,297 times
Like any skilled trade, the paper doesn't get you the job, the skill does. Certification won't hurt, but make sure to practice as much as possible and try to master the most difficult of welding projects. A good welder can make good money. A subpar welder might be lucky to earn $13-$14/hr, cause they are a dime a dozen. It will take a good chunk of time to really get good as well. Might want to see if you can find some consistent work in a fabrication shop or something so you can get some practice time in. Once you get good enough, you can start chasing the money. Another thing to consider... You need time to really get comfortable with it. When it comes time to do a weld test for a potentially high paying job, you need the confidence in your abilities to match the job.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the advice. I would just need brushing up with stick. The Mig and Tig would be what I really need time with to get comfortable. I did find the AWS Site and looked at the certs and fees. Found 2 of the High Schools on their list for training so I will try to call them to find out more on it. I think I am going to go for it. Might be nice to get back into the Trades Community again. Just looking for something more steady than just shut downs like I used to do.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:57 PM

A skill is something you can take with you anywhere to any potential employer. Every place of employment does things different, but for welding, it's always the same. Never hurts to master a skill like that that you can take down the street.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:40 PM

Just a little update on this:
I applied for a new Veterans program called VRAP (for unemployed Vets)... which in turn set the ball rolling for me to get all the other stuff done to get into a Combination Welding Certificate Course at Northeast State Community College. Sending out for some old transcripts now and applying officially to the school to then apply for the Pell grant this week.

That course goes for Stick, Tig, Mig, Flux Core and Pipe. 2 Semesters and I could take it up to an A.A.S. if I wanted to do all the other courses. I just might later or go back and do the CNC A.A.S. Course after I got some money rolling in. First things first though.

Things feel like they are finally looking up.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:21 PM

Sounds like a good plan regarding the welding cert. CNC machining after that probably won't be of much use. The two skills very rarely cross paths. Welding is more useful for machinists working in tool rooms and things of that nature. Can't hurt to get exposure to a couple different skillsets though. They both have potential opportunities, and they both are skills that can be useful all around the country. If I was in it for the money, I would focus on welding, because CNC machining takes quite a bit of experience before you can start making decent money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment