Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 02:41 AM

268 posts, read 241,316 times

Advertisements

I'm considering welding for a career and m wondering if it's still a good idea since a lot of manufacturing jobs have left the country. I'd also like to know how hard it is to learn since I don't have any experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 05:14 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,167,111 times
I'm not a welder, but my brother is. He started off as a car mechanic but then took some classes in community college, and then on his own. He did quite well and is your "average joe" when it comes to being an artist/craftsman. From what I understand, there is always a demand for good welders. I know my brother found himself in another line of work that he enjoys that isn't welding, but he still welds for himself and others who are willing to pay from time to time.

I'd recommend looking up some courses at your community college and taking one. It seems like a stable job with demand, and I've also read that in several articles.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:23 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
Check out the advertised pay in your area first. I have seen pay in middle Tennessee for manufacturing welders as low as 9.50/hr however I am sure this is the bottom of the scale.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:27 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingObeat View Post
I'm considering welding for a career and m wondering if it's still a good idea since a lot of manufacturing jobs have left the country. I'd also like to know how hard it is to learn since I don't have any experience.
I have a friend in Kentucky who got a 2-year welding degree at a Community College and is making solid bank. Another friend in Virginia is making a good career of it but he did have to start in the 3rd shift at his company but is on first shift after a couple of years. I think it is a good option.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:01 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,480 times
I really hope it is. I am in college at 40 for welding. Just got past my 4g project today and now practicing for my smaw certs. If you really want to ask a bunch of field welders... come on over here.... http://weldingweb.com/index.php

Old 09-14-2012, 12:03 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingObeat View Post
It all depends on where you live. In the St. Louis are the majority of welding jobs are payiing 10 to 12 an hour for a temp job with no benefits. 10 years ago these were jobs that paid 16 to 20 an hour with good benefits. Most of these good paying jobs that left the area were in manufacturing. Now the few that are left are repairing barges or rail cars which require working out doors all year long.

I have been a welder for over 10 years and I finally decided it was time to get out of it. These jobs don't pay enough anymore to justify breathing in all those fumes and getting burned all the time. But maybe your area will be different.

Whatever you do, make sure you check out the job market in your area before you enroll in any classes and don't listen to any the BS the recruiters at the school tell you about the great demand for welders

Old 09-14-2012, 04:49 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Welding can be a good career. It can even be a great career. It can also be a worthless career. It all depends on how good you get, how quick you pick up on it, and what opportunities you find after you get a knack for the skill. Some folks get good enough to produce consistent results, but never really excel in their abilities. Those are your typical production $14/hr factory or shop guys. Their jobs are being replaced by robots these days. Then you have your guys that do maintenance/repair/construction work. These guys can make great money, but they have to be good. Speed it not as important as the quality of the work.

The more exotic the welding, the more potential one can earn from what I have heard. Underwater welders can easily make 6 figures for example... But they face enormous risk of electrocution along the way. Boilermakers can make good money, as welding is an important part of the job.

It is also advisable to pick up other skills along the way. The best welders I have seen don't call themselves welders exclusively. They generally learn broader aspects of the metal working trade such as fabrication, machining, construction, and so on. A welder that works in construction is expected to do more than just weld. There wouldn't be enough work to fill up the workday. Welding is a skill that supplements the workers skillset, but doesn't define it. Actually, sheet metal workers in the construction trade who also know how to weld tend to be more in demand than those without the skill.

I personally am not a welder, but it is a skill I have had to learn on the job. It's not hard, but awkward at first. Learning to weld is easy, but mastering it is another story. I have not had to weld enough to really get to that point, but I do enjoy the work. Main thing is learning how the weld and bead will behave on different metals, and the ideal settings to use. That all comes with practical experience, repetition, good judgement, and so forth.

One thing to note... You will be exposed to smoke that contains zinc oxide and magnesium oxide. This smoke has not been shown to be harmful, but as it accumulates throughout the day, it produces the symptoms of "welders fever". A headache is the worst I ever experienced, but some folks do get physically sick. As mentioned, I generally do not weld for any considerable length of time. It has not been shown to be harmful in the long run, but I have my doubts. I'm sure there just have not been enough studies done on the subject. Anyways, it hits ya on Monday, but your body develops a tolerance to it by Tuesday, and you're fine for the week... Until the next Monday Good ventilation is a good way to prevent this, but not always available or practical depending on the job site.

Anyways, the main thing that determines potential earnings for a welder... You have your welders that know how to weld... Then you have your welders who master the skill. The latter are the ones making bank. Some folks get there, and others don't. I think with most skills, it something that not everyone is capable of mastering.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:01 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Whatever you do, make sure you check out the job market in your area before you enroll in any classes and don't listen to any the BS the recruiters at the school tell you about the great demand for welders
The problem with these recruiters... They show stats, data, and god knows what else to trick folks into signing up. What they fail to mention... Yes, there is always a demand for good tradesman. They are not easy to find these days. These classes don't produce tradesman. They produce folks with exposure to a trade. The rest is learned on the job. Their attitude, ability to learn, judgement and character will determine their level of success from that point on.

If you are a decent welder, have you looked into construction or repair work? I can tell ya they need a few good ones up here. Our shop sends stuff out to welders occasionally. The quality of the welds are complete garbage. They sometimes destroy our work in the process. I also suspect it's due to low pay however, as you have described. There are businesses that simply need the job done right the first time. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be businesses around here that are capable of achieving that for any price.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:04 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
Welding is one of the best blue collar paying jobs there is. I have been told that welders in oil rich areas commonly make 100k a year, esp. in Alberta.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:13 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Welding is one of the best blue collar paying jobs there is. I have been told that welders in oil rich areas commonly make 100k a year, esp. in Alberta.
This is true. Certified welders are in high demand in any area that gas and oil companies have operations and make a nice living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment