Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 05:37 PM

8 posts, read 38,487 times

Advertisements

FWIW, I think the days of an employer telling you "show up at 9am tomorrow" after a walk-in a long gone. We need to create our own jobs at this point, by any means necessary. The jobs are gone. Companies have figured out how to gimp the system, set up a po box in Zug, Switzerland and not pay any US taxes. I'm starting my own online business...but the learning curve is hell. Will be at LEAST 2-3 years before I can make a full-time income and pay off my debts from it. It is survival of the fittest at this point. There are worse things, like being a law grad (of which I am thankful I am not one of them!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 05:39 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,217,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
And like I said before, you start a side business once you get a job and if it pops then you can quit and focus on that business.
I don't think that's the best way to go about it. Starting a business takes a lot of time out of you. Spending time working somewhere else would be wasting time you could be putting into your business.

I've seen people who want to be business owners fail solely because they focus on their "day job" too much rather than putting all their efforts into their own venture.

Last edited by NJBest; 09-07-2011 at 06:42 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,559,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsinger View Post
FWIW, I think the days of an employer telling you "show up at 9am tomorrow" after a walk-in a long gone. We need to create our own jobs at this point, by any means necessary. The jobs are gone. Companies have figured out how to gimp the system, set up a po box in Zug, Switzerland and not pay any US taxes. I'm starting my own online business...but the learning curve is hell. Will be at LEAST 2-3 years before I can make a full-time income and pay off my debts from it. It is survival of the fittest at this point. There are worse things, like being a law grad (of which I am thankful I am not one of them!)
I agree with this.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:24 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,717,391 times
You should start grooming dogs since you have experience in that area. You don't have to have a business degree to start your own business you know. I'm sure you would excell at a dog grooming business!

Old 09-07-2011, 06:31 PM

10,838 posts, read 14,967,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
You should start grooming dogs since you have experience in that area. You don't have to have a business degree to start your own business you know. I'm sure you would excell at a dog grooming business!
We have one in town that has a converted box truck. They make rounds, park in front of a customers house, groom the dog in the truck and move on to the next job.

I also agree about having the day job getting in your way. If security is what you crave you don't want to own your own business anyway.

You got to have the guts to go for it.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:32 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,064,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsinger View Post

You better stick to working for someone else if your plan is to make money in 2 - 3 years because you will be broke long before that.

busta

Old 09-07-2011, 07:19 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,296,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
You better stick to working for someone else if your plan is to make money in 2 - 3 years because you will be broke long before that.

busta
How so?

Old 09-07-2011, 07:19 PM

8 posts, read 38,487 times
CPV traffic taking more than 3 years to turn a profit? I dont think so. I have already made money doing it. My point was that my debts are such that I need to make six figures to get to the place I want to be. Lots of people I know do it. Working for someone else will *never* get you out of debt, at least not the kind grads are accumulating these days. Those jobs are gone. $80,000 for a bachelor's degree? I dont think so "busta".

Old 09-09-2011, 11:31 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,971,142 times
W/O vast knowledege of a field and some capital a person could/would be dead in the water.

I went that route to a degree. Thought I knew it all but found out differently after a while but with perseverence made it thru. Did my homework and long hrs paid off. Had started 6 self owned business enterprises over a 36 yr span and they all worked out just fine.

Problem today is the entitlement factor and the need to just put in a 8 hr day...go home and have a beer for many folks. Business owners put in more then a 8 hr day to get where they are...employees should take that under consideration regarding their future.

Go to any Industrial area and you will see the lights on at a small shop where the owner is working late into the night after some employess have gone home. Some this in my area on many ocassions as I was one of them.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:05 PM

34,155 posts, read 83,243,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Problem today is the entitlement factor and the need to just put in a 8 hr day...go home and have a beer for many folks.

Business owners put in more then a 8 hr day to get where they are...employees should take that under consideration regarding their future.
These are two very different issues and warrnt different perspectives.
Too many have a martyr mentality that they MUST put i the extra hours.

So I'll take the opposite view here...
that EMPLOYEES should not be expected to work more than that 8hr day.

They SHOULD be able to go home and have a beer on the porch or take the kid to a little league game
and know that this still earns them enough to afford the house that porch is attached to...
and without any sort of guilt trip laid on them for wanting these things on these terms.

If more of the people who are putting in all those hours (with OT pay or not)
were doing something else with that time then more of the others might find a job more easily.
---

If the business owner has other motivations in their life? Good for them.
Presumably at least one of those motivations will be significantly greater earnings.
That money might even be enough to make up for the other opportunities they chose against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment