Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:25 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,997,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
On a positive note, I think there are some easy businesses to start. Think "recession proof".

A high school acquaintance of mine, who just got out jail by the way, picked up his deceased father's moving business and gets paid $300 dollars just to show up with a van and his moving crew. A single moving job can bring him $1000+. Not bad for a raging alcoholic with dangerous mood swings and a talent for making quick enemies who just spent the last few months in jail.
The first sentence made sense but then you followed it up with a dismal story which totally negated any positivity. Ergo, one must assume that you're of the opinion that anyone who gets off their duff and opens up a small business even single-handedly is someone who's in the realm of the ex-con "raging alcoholic with dangerous mood swings, etc."? Wow!

I could rattle off scores of positives just from people I know who run small businesses they started with minimal capital and whose work ethic, dedication and long hours on the job gets them more jobs than they can handle and who manage to live comfortably.

I was one of them and will be again at 65 years old after recently closing my restaurant. What I made from selling everything will give me a much-needed breathing space of several months and then I'll be back in the market to make some $$s to keep a roof above my head - and I'm not too worried about it, either.

Shame on you for making such generalizations. Not everyone is cast from the same block as you. I've been working continuously since I was 16 years old and this is the first real break I've had. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 03:28 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,259,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
1. What you're totally ignoring is that there's a distinct possibility if not a probability that those who suggest that someone open their own business are throwing out that advice because doing so worked for them. "Dialogue" is a continuing exchange not a one-shot post on a forum. If posters are interested in further dialogue and input from those who've made the suggestion they can always ask. The OP snippily responds to anyone who offers suggestions that he personally doesn't agree with in his narrow perspective but others are far more practical, open-minded and appreciate suggestions.

2. Why is the suggestion to start one's own business "not really good advice"? Starting a business in and of itself isn't difficult as long as you're able to find the information you need and do the proper research. And a huge capital investment isn't necessary, either. Several posts on this thread have attested to exactly those points and I can echo them from first hand knowledge and experience.

Be not so hasty to dun those who make suggestions simply because you have little knowledge of the subject at hand.
Thats the thing the people asking probably have little expereince, they dont know your expereince and just telling them that what they are assuming is wrong without an explaination is not helpful.

Im sure there is some sneaky way to start free lancing on the side or starting a buisness that does not require substantial start up capital but if you dont know you dont know.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:39 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,738,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Specific programs or ideas rather than buzz words.
That information, with all due respect, isn't very..... specific. Can you elaborate on that? We've seen people on here give information about state-funded assistance programs designed to help the unemployed start their own businesses. The system has been built on people being brainwashed into spending thousands of dollars on a college education in order to 'get a job' and slave for someone else for 30 years. I'd like to see more people empowered to have some measure of control over their own employment and, by extension, their lives. So, me suggesting to someone to look into the possibility of starting their own business, is not a snide, dismissive, passive-aggressive in-sensitive remark, but from a genuine desire to see people make lemonade out of lemons. It's an employer's market right now, and it f*****k sucks.

Last edited by Roman77; 09-12-2011 at 03:51 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 03:51 PM

45,924 posts, read 61,383,609 times
Quote:
Specific programs or ideas rather than buzz words. Maybe they need state specific "work and employment section". Some free lance professions are doing well in certian areas and are belly up in others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
That information, with all due respect, isn't very..... specific. Can you elaborate on that? We've seen people on here give information about state-funded assistance programs designed to help the unemployed start their own businesses.

I think he may be asking for a "sure thing". The only "sure thing" is that there's no "sure thing".

My observations about starting your own business still apply.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
That information, with all due respect, isn't very..... specific. Can you elaborate on that? We've seen people on here give information about state-funded assistance programs designed to help the unemployed start their own businesses. The system has been built on people being brainwashed into spending thousands of dollars on a college education in order to 'get a job' and slave for someone else for 30 years. I'd like to see more people empowered to have some measure of control over their own employment and, by extension, their lives. So, me suggesting to someone to look into the possibility of starting their own business, is not a snide, dismissive, passive-aggressive in-sensitive remark, but from a genuine desire to see people make lemonade out of lemons. It's an employer's market right now, and it f*****k sucks.
The thing is it should never be an employers market that is what unions and gov is suppose to prevent. There should never be a time when the employer has the advantage to this degree, this is the definition of tyrany in a very subtle crafty way. Things will only get worse not better until blood is shed. I think it was franklin that said the tree of freedom has to be watered with blood periodicly. Of course thats crazy talk in this day and time so we will all soon be slaves.

There is no magic button of "start your own buisness" thats what im getting at. When you have a buisness you rely on contracts and you can just as easily get low balled on your labor from that angle as you can applying for a job, its really no different and no better.

THAT is my point, I dont think your being disengenuous I just think your being unrealistic. For every one person that has a crazy lucky break there are 1000's others that have tanked. My advice is do what you enjoy because there is not much money in too many endevors right now, if your going to be low balled you might as well be low balled in something you enjoy doing anyways.

No one is asking for a "sure thing" they want advice on something with a reasonable expectation of sucess not a crap shoot in the dark which is what starting your own buisness is.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
The thing is it should never be an employers market that is what unions and gov is suppose to prevent. There should never be a time when the employer has the advantage to this degree, this is the definition of tyrany in a very subtle crafty way. Things will only get worse not better until blood is shed. I think it was franklin that said the tree of freedom has to be watered with blood periodicly. Of course thats crazy talk in this day and time so we will all soon be slaves.

There is no magic button of "start your own buisness" thats what im getting at. When you have a buisness you rely on contracts and you can just as easily get low balled on your labor from that angle as you can applying for a job, its really no different and no better.

THAT is my point, I dont think your being disengenuous I just think your being unrealistic. For every one person that has a crazy lucky break there are 1000's others that have tanked. My advice is do what you enjoy because there is not much money in too many endevors right now, if your going to be low balled you might as well be low balled in something you enjoy doing anyways.

No one is asking for a "sure thing" they want advice on something with a reasonable expectation of sucess not a crap shoot in the dark which is what starting your own buisness is.
Not it shouldn't be, many things shouldn't be, but the reality is that's where we're at.

Of course there's no magic button for starting a business, it's not supposed to be and frankly the business wouldn't be worth a damn if it was. Once again the advice of starting a business will be viable, or not viable, depending on the individual. It wasn't intended to be a 'one size fits all' piece of advice, rather it's presenting ideas for people to consider, toss aside, ponder over, whatever is applicable to the individual. I never said the shoe would fit for everyone. For those where it's not a fit, and admittedly many likely fall in that category, we can look at some in-depth viable solutions. But I'm seeing a lot of 'shooting down ideas' and very little in the way of offering tangible alternatives.

I'd say the current job market is a crap shoot, isn't it? I mean just as starting your own employment isn't a guarantee, neither is being employed by someone else. I would appreciate if you could elaborate on your earlier advice regarding specific programs and ideas. Someone on this thread looking for options is meant to take 'what' from that, exactly?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Not it shouldn't be, many things shouldn't be, but the reality is that's where we're at.

Of course there's no magic button for starting a business, it's not supposed to be and frankly the business wouldn't be worth a damn if it was. Once again the advice of starting a business will be viable, or not viable, depending on the individual. It wasn't intended to be a 'one size fits all' piece of advice, rather it's presenting ideas for people to consider, toss aside, ponder over, whatever is applicable to the individual. I never said the shoe would fit for everyone. For those where it's not a fit, and admittedly many likely fall in that category, we can look at some in-depth viable solutions. But I'm seeing a lot of 'shooting down ideas' and very little in the way of offering tangible alternatives.

I'd say the current job market is a crap shoot, isn't it? I mean just as starting your own employment isn't a guarantee, neither is being employed by someone else. I would appreciate if you could elaborate on your earlier advice regarding specific programs and ideas. Someone on this thread looking for options is meant to take 'what' from that, exactly?
I would go to the library and they have these huge books on all sorts of different professions, then you can get a second equally huge book that has all of the different schools and colleges, this is to figure out what you want to do (this is what I did in high school).

Now once you are there you look for a job that is easy and has flexable hours even if the pay is low then go to a state school with in state tuition or a trade school with in state tuition and pay as you go. Live at home and find a GF that is kinda cute but not too hot and who is commited to you (you can go on craigslist, etc), get married live in your parents house until you finish your trade school or degree program. Look for a real job while still living at home.

I went to an expensive engineering school out of state that had a poor male to female ratio and you will remain sexually frustrated which makes anything you do that much harder. Dont take loans and make sure you have a mate and a roof over your head thats not ran by the modern day rent mob. In this sort of living situation you can afford to do free apprentiships etc.

Thats my advice. Thats what people have done for thousands of years with the exception of the last hand full of decades. You could go live in an amish community or join the mormon church, have a wife handed to you and a job. If I were not where I am today I might consider it. As an engineer and soon to be a aircraft mechanic I would have a hard time with the amish since I engineer things lol and im not civil, the mormons have weird beliefs that I could not get on board with but their social structure is very good.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I would go to the library and they have these huge books on all sorts of different professions, then you can get a second equally huge book that has all of the different schools and colleges, this is to figure out what you want to do (this is what I did in high school).

Now once you are there you look for a job that is easy and has flexable hours even if the pay is low then go to a state school with in state tuition or a trade school with in state tuition and pay as you go. Live at home and find a GF that is kinda cute but not too hot and who is commited to you (you can go on craigslist, etc), get married live in your parents house until you finish your trade school or degree program. Look for a real job while still living at home.
So, your advice for someone who just lost their job, is to seek out another one, by going through a series of steps: going to the library, looking for a low-paying job, going to state school, find a GF off Craiglist, marry her and live as a married couple under their parents roof. Of course all this could still lead the person to a future state of unemployment, which is where they're at now. The only difference is, they'll be living under their parents roof, married, and probably with some kind of school debt to clear. Unless they plan on working their way through state school over 10 years on a low-paying salary that's no more a guarantee than looking into starting their own small business.

I'll be exiting the thread now.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
So, your advice for someone who just lost their job, is to seek out another one, by going through a series of steps( going to the library, looking for a low-paying job, going to state school, find a GF off Craiglist, marry her and live as a married couple under their parents roof. Of course all this could still lead the person to a future state of unemployment, which is where they're at now. The only difference is, they'll be living under their parents roof, married, and probably with some kind of school debt to clear. Unless they plan on working their way through state school over 10 years on a low-paying salary that's no more a guarantee than looking into starting their own small business.

I'll be exiting the thread now. I can't beat that advice.
But who cares, the issue is not the job, the issue is not having to worry where your next meal or sexual encounter is going to come from, trust me on that one. If your living at home and have a GOOD wife you dont have to worry about scrambling to pay the sleazy land lord your rent and groveling to your boss to not fire you or cut your wages. If it takes you 10 years to get your degree so what, better than having the debt, the whole premise of my advice is to NOT take school loans, once you take anything more than a few thousand bucks all my advice is out the window and you are now a wage slave. Also 10 years in school will give you time to potentially weather out the bad economy getting laid every night in the mean time. Japans recession lasted 20 years so dont expect this to end anytime soon unless we get darth vadar for president/dictator in 2012. 20 years is roughly 1/4 of most peoples lives.

The only thing you might struggle with is your proximity to the school and your parents house, but the commute is better than sleazy land lords that want top dollar for rent.

The alternative is groveling for work and going to sleazy bars in the hopes of getting laid and maybe picking up a disease. That does not sound like fun to me. Maybe after working 70 hr weeks for an undetermined amount of time you can get a buisness going to where you can start collecting min wage, what a deal, hopefully you have a wife that works with you on that otherwise your back to hookers and booze to keep your sanity through that. You see its easy to just say work 70 hrs a week and hard and its a completely other thing to do that. If you dont want to go to school start a buisness from your parents, when its going good enough that you can BUY a house then do so, dont get into a mortgage thats more wage slave activity, you should not have to get into debt for anything unless its low dollar short term debt, 15-30 year loans are they out of their mind, who has 30 year job security or even 15 years for that matter?

Trying to pay rent to the land lord mob and all the other bills is a loosing proposition unless your job is good enough that thoes bills are only 20% or less of your net pay, for food, rent, bills, everything. You should have 80% of your income be disposable, otherwise your not really living your just a wage slave.

Last edited by highlife2; 09-12-2011 at 05:08 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 05:01 PM

I'll let the board tackle the merits of your advice. I really can't bothered, after reading that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment