Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 11:35 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,159,746 times

Advertisements

So on another thread the subject was brought up about how does anyone begin? How do you get it going?

We all know the stories of 'Bill Gates and Paul Allen in the garage'. What are some others? If you've launched a business, how did you do it? If you had it to do over, what would you avoid doing?

A lot of us didn't go to business school, but we "have a dream", but it all seems so ...difficult. But, Starbuck's had to start with one store, right?

(Let's try to keep it positive, folks, and not devolve into squabbling, okay?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 11:55 AM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
...the subject was brought up about how does anyone begin?
How do you get it going?
Too vague as posed.
Is the intent about what the averagely skilled, in debt, no significant savings, under employed, marginal credit schmoe can do?

Please refine the parameters.
Thanks

Old 09-07-2011, 12:02 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,388,333 times
I started my own side business. Its very new (don't yet have my trade name registration back) but so far the process is going well. I started a freelance writing business, so its done at home and right now I am working with 3 clients.

I did a lot of research, talking to people who have done it, read books on the subject and then did the paperwork. For this type of service, its pretty easy. I registered a trade name, got an EIN, registered as a sole proprietor and now most of it is getting the word out and marketing my services.

It all starts with research. Find out how it can be done, what state or local licenses or registrations you need and how you plan on selling your service.

Good luck!

Old 09-07-2011, 01:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,369,869 times
People started asking me if I did work on the side. I have worked as a locksmith for 19 years now and for the past 14 years at a hospital campus. although I have gone on to other things within the hospital I still work on locks. Coworkers and employees at the doctors offices would ask me if I could do some work for them. Over time I was able to get some regular customers in offices around the area. The thing about medical is that many times a Doctor or medical group has more than one location. One customer has 4 locations and another has 3. Another thing about medical is that many things can be done after hours allowing me to take care of their needs when they are not there and more importantly after I am off the clock at work.

Here is what I had to learn on my own.

1. Make a price list of what you are planning on offering. You can do your own market research on that and see what the going rate in your area is. If you offer more than the others make sure that your prices reflect that. In the beggining I didn't do that or I wouldn't let them know how much I was going to charge. Then I would justify giving them a low price. Be up front with that as best you can. I don't like surprises and i am sure others don't.

2. Value what you do. Someone is going to tell you when you give them the price that Joe down the street can give you a better deal. Tell them that you can't make a profit at that price and they may want to consider useing Joe. A benefit to doing market research is you probably know how much Joe charges if he is in your line of business.

3. Only offer what you can do. I used to tell people "I can do that" when I really only wanted to do the Locksmith thing. I concentrate on a few things that I am good at. The services that I offer are Locksmithing, Door repair, cabinet and drawer repair, office furniture repair. That is it. I am no good at doing "that" but I do know what I am good at. If they need a plumber or a locksmith I can do it but don't want to. Let someone else make a buck.

4. Know your business and be the professional. What I offer is not only a service but information. I am the go to person for security and safety. Customers have lots of choices they don't need me, I need them. Their are plenty of others waiting to take this business away from me. What I have found is that if I keep my skill and knowledge level up I can do so much more for the customer. I can offer services or solutions that they may not have heard of before. Always study your field of business.

5. Word of mouth is the best way to build a business. What I found out is that means my words coming out of my mouth in the early days and even today. Let everyone know what you are doing and don't be affraid to open your mouth. Get a facebook page for your business. Get a web site. Do everything you can to get your name out there. Still don't forget to hit the bricks and tell everyone about your business.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:30 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,166,664 times
I would like to read the details on these start-ups.

10 Big Businesses That Started in a Garage | Accounting Degree.com

After reading the above couple of posts. It really does come down to RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what I have been preaching in the other threads.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:20 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,947,955 times
Quote:
So on another thread the subject was brought up about how does anyone begin? How do you get it going?

We all know the stories of 'Bill Gates and Paul Allen in the garage'. What are some others? If you've launched a business, how did you do it? If you had it to do over, what would you avoid doing?

A lot of us didn't go to business school, but we "have a dream", but it all seems so ...difficult. But, Starbuck's had to start with one store, right?

(Let's try to keep it positive, folks, and not devolve into squabbling, okay?)
There are endless stories of people who started their own business from nothing to go on and be wildly successful.

My favorite is the story of Harlan Sanders of Kentucky Fried Chicken fame.

In case you don't know his story.

AJS Associates History Of Colonel Harland Sanders (http://www.ajskfc.com/colsanders.html - broken link)

Quote:
In the early 1950s a new interstate highway was planned to bypass the town of Corbin. Seeing an end to his business, the Colonel auctioned off his operations. After paying his bills, he was reduced to living on his $105 Social Security checks.

snip

Until he was fatally stricken with leukemia in 1980 at the age of 90, the Colonel traveled 250,000 miles a year visiting the KFC empire he founded.

And it all began with a 65-year-old gentleman who used his $105 Social Security check to start a business.
What an amazing story!

So what do you do at 65 when you are broke living on social security? Yep, get off your rear end and go out to build a $840 million business!

I've been involved in starting two business and here is what I learned.

You got to know the business really well, thousands of new restaurants start up every month and the great majority of them fail before one year is out.

Takes money to start. When I started I didn't have any cash but I did have excellent credit which I used. Six months before I started I signed up for every last credit card offer I could lay my hands on. Combined credit limit for all cards was over $100k.

For capital I used credit cards eventually running them up to just under $48,000 at the high water mark but every last purchase was a needed purchase for the business. At home we lived on beans and rice with the thermostat turned down to 62 to save every penny we could.

I worked at least 14 hours a day Monday through Friday and at least 8 to 10 hours on Saturday and Sunday. Starting off if you divided what I took in payroll by hours worked I doubt I was getting minimum wage.

My first employee had experience and knew what he was doing when it came to installations and to save money I would be his helper. Hanging pipe, it was not easy physical labor and we would leave before daylight to be on the job as early as possible. We would do as much as we could, skipping breaks and lunch, so I could be back in the office at 2:00 or 3:00 for phone calls (wife answered phone at home) and then I would work on engineering until midnight. Many times it was all I could do to get up at 5:30 but I did it.

I had no choice but to succeed... $48,000 in credit card debt then would be equivalent to $91,667.42 today. Failure was not an option and if it took 100 hour work weeks then that is what I did. For the first two years I had many 100 hour work weeks and for some of those all I got was $500.

By hard work, and knowing the business I was in, in two years I had all the credit cards paid off and I was on a regular weekly payroll for $1,000/week two years after starting. By five years I was earning twice that and life was very good to me and my family.

I think the biggest determinate in success is knowing every facet of the business. If it is a restaurant you want to open you should have worked every job in a restaurant from dish washer to manager always striving to do the best job you could.

With knowing the business there has to be the acceptance and willingness in knowing you will never have normal hours. You will always work more than anyone else. If you own your own business 60 hours is a short week. Accept this.

While money is mostly good it might not be so good all the time. Prepare a personal budget to handle this.

A business can easily consume money at twice the rate it can make it. There were years I would work very hard and it was very gratifying to see $100,000 in the checking account after all the bills were paid but you need to recognize one silly mistake and all that money can disappear in a few short months.

In my case I thought money was great but if I had made half as much as my employees (I eventually had 24 employees) thought I made I would have retired 15 years ago.

If you start with a partner be careful. It is easier to get out of a bad marriage than a sour partnership.

That all said America is a great country, you can still be successful but to do that you have to work harder than anyone else. It ain't easy or everyone would do it.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:06 PM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
If you've launched a business, how did you do it?
Begged, borrowed and stole.

Quote:
If you had it to do over, what would you avoid doing?
Begged less and stolen more.
(Forgiveness comes easier than permission)

Stay hungry.
The only thing worse than not having enough cash... is too much cash.

Never sign over your own property (OPM).
And **always** have a back door (or two).
Pay yourself first.

You MUST be able to do EVERY job in the shop.
You can always hire help to do the work and the best of them should be better than you at what they do... you still need to be able to do it too.

This applies to the expert and professional help like CPA, Attorney too.
If you can't create your own financial statements and know how the contracts work...

Old 09-08-2011, 04:11 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,369,869 times
Here are some of the companies in my area that were started out of a garage, dorm room or back of a car.

Neff headwear This year they will break the $10million mark in sales. Shaun Neff is a friend Home | neffheadwear.com Shaun started hocking Tshirts out of a bag while he was going to BYU

Pategonia was started from a small business where they made tools and items for climbers. It grew into what it is today.
Patagonia Outdoor Clothing, Apparel and Gear for Climbing, Hiking, Surfing, Running, Travel

Lancair started in Santa Paula California and moved to Redmond Oregon.
Lancair

Kinko's was started in a dorm room at UCSB. Paul "Kinko" Orfalea sold the company to an investment group that resold it to FedEx. After selling a part of the company to the investment group he sold off the remainder for a reported $380million. At the time Kinkos had 20,000 employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment