Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 03:43 PM

171 posts, read 445,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
For the past 2 years I have been applying to out of state jobs and I have not received one call from any of them - In my cover letter I explain I am relocating at my expense but it made no difference - I did send out a cover letter and resume that I was going to be in town on certain dates as I was planning to relocate there - This was the first time I did get a call from my resume -However your timing may be off I'm really not sure that anyone is going to be willing to hold a job open from October until December but I guess it doesn't to try - Good luck
Thanks. This is exactly what I'm assumed would be the case, but I'm trying to be proactive (and probably in vain, just like you say) because I'm sick of all of my faculty and all the "older adults" around me telling me "oh, get a job before you go!" My thinking is "yeah right!" but I figure I may as well at least give it some effort (and if I'm going to bother, then go all out). Just to clarify, I'm not applying for jobs in October, lol--if I take CoolSock's approach, it'll be if I return to the city in November, which I may do since I also need to find a place to live, too. My main focus is trying to get my name out there, whether through paper or in-person contacts. I should also add that when it comes to contacting employers, I have NO INTENTION of ever telling them I live out of state. Thanks to UPS providing the service for a fee, I'll have a legit, local address and I'll also be changing my number over to a local number in September. My resumes and cover letters will never say I'm living out of state come november when the mayhem begins, though I'll of course admit it if I'm asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 03:58 PM

171 posts, read 445,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Just visit as many places as your two feet can carry you during the 5 days you are there. Instead of flyers concentrate on the business cards. If a place isn't hiring ask for referals to other places that may be hiring.
Thanks. Hell, maybe I could make separate business cards for the finders fee thing (since it's something I can pass out and people will take home with them) and whenever I'm waiting for the bus or whatever, I can make a quick 30-second spiel to the people around me detailing the situation and explaining it's an opportunity to make $500 and give anyone who wants one a card. Good for my public speaking ability if nothing else. I could even make and wear a T-shirt. LMAO...I need to stop thinking before I go overboard.

Anyhow, thanks. To be sure, are you suggesting I go visit as many employers as possible, or as many people-meeting places as possible? I'd imagine that October would be far too early to start talking to the receptionists of potential employers, but if that's what you were talking about, I'd like to hear what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment