Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 AM

92 posts, read 167,058 times

Advertisements

How did you do it? I'm not talking about a transfer from the company you already work for,
I want to hear from unemployed people who made the move.
Since I am having no luck in my current city/area, I would like to expand my search. I am
willing to relocate to another city or state, but would like advice from people who have successfully
done so. How did you find the job, how did you interview when you live so far, any regrets...etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 09:02 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,858,197 times
I haven't moved yet, but I'm about to do it.

It's a job with the federal government, and I think that might be a good bet for people since they don't seem to care if people are out of state, and they are usually willing to interview over the phone. However, I know the jobs are hard to get and my case may be more of an exception. I also might have had an easier time since I am returning to a state where I used to live and have family there.

Biggest difficulty for me is probably going to be separation from my spouse for an extended period. It's definitely a move that is far easier for people who don't own property, don't have spouses with jobs, etc. I really do feel like it may be a mistake, but I need to work and at this point I guess I am willing to sacrifice my personal happiness to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment