Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:24 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,789,506 times

Advertisements

Just curious if it would be considered inappropriate to ask for a week to do a look see before moving to a different state for a new job? If inappropriate, which is the best way to evaluate an interstate move. If not inappropriate, the best way to broach the subject.

Last edited by MAXIALE02; 04-25-2013 at 11:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 06:09 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,688,397 times
i don't think it's inappropriate to ask for a week to think about it. you don't need to tell them why. they might say they need to know faster, but it's not going to hurt to ask.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:27 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,607,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
If inappropriate, which is the best way to evaluate an interstate move.
For me it went like this...

FL = unemployment check
WA = paycheck

Now that I've been here a couple years there's a few more...

FL = low pay
WA = higher pay

FL = hot, humid summers that suck... mild winters
WA = gorgeous summers... gray, mild winters

FL = flat, dull landscape
WA= gorgeous scenery

What can I say... I love it here. At the time though I didn't do much evaluating of the Seattle metro area... I just knew that I had a job offer on the table which is more than I had on the east coast.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:01 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,322,246 times
I would have expected you to have given that some thought before you applied for the job. We will give everyone one or maybe two days to think about it but we would not give anyone a week to think about it.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:07 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,688,397 times
yeah i would think it would give an employer pause if you told them that you wanted the time to check out the city. they don't want to hear that you have not given the city where you are going to be living a lot of thought or research before getting this far in the job application process.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:38 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,524,755 times
It's completely appropriate. I would have visited any area I applied to prior to applying though, I did this and visited a few "home finder" type places and told them the sitch and if an offer came through I would need a place to live in a fast period of time. Meeting with a rep from one office made him able to vouch for me with a condo association where I rented when I arrived. Typically they would not let a renter in without meeting first.

I then made a 2 day second visit upon offer to actually see the office and area and confirm my decision. After that it was just a matter of packing and shipping and driving.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:42 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,313,347 times
if you think Florida is bad, you should try eastern South Dakota. Great job, but just about the worst climate and scenery in the entire country, only beat out by perhaps eastern North Dakota! I contemplate trying to transfer to other plants within the rather large company I work for all the time.

Great summers, but the other 9 months a year just suck. Snow finally melting here at the end of April.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:42 AM

856 posts, read 1,054,107 times
Default Correctamundo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yeah i would think it would give an employer pause if you told them that you wanted the time to check out the city. they don't want to hear that you have not given the city where you are going to be living a lot of thought or research before getting this far in the job application process.
Correctamundo, Groar.

If one applies for a position, one researches said position and the city to which one would move before or during the application process.

If contacted by a HH or the company itself, one's research begins immediately.

ON THE OTHER HAND:

It is routine that while the candidate is playing golf with the HA's his/her spouse is being driven around the city where housing, schools, shops, churches, etc. are being pointed out by the HA's wives.

So you do your own preparation- some in advance to confirm a basic interest in that city, etc. and that research continues while the application process is being, uh, processed.

And once you get there, assuming the company is paying relo -their having a vested interest in your success- they will wheel you around so you can get the lay of the land.

In fact, in many cases, HR will have sent the candidate a 'relo package' that contains Chamber of Commerce material listing schools, hospitals, etc., etc.

A week?

I don' think so, Lucy.

Paul

Last edited by HeadhunterPaul; 04-28-2013 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 04-28-2013, 05:26 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,182,905 times
Do you mean after they have offered you the job? Personally I might just say I need some time to make a decision, I wouldn't say it was because I was unsure of the city.

And are you saying on your dime or have the company pay for it?

Old 04-28-2013, 06:28 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,768,746 times
A week to look for a new place in the new city, or a week to just consider the city?

For looking, yes, a week is appropriate, maybe even two. But just to consider the city? No effin way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment