Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,052 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently want to relocate to a state that honors single mothers. I currently work in Customer Service and want to know where I can go and do my job and get hired quickly. I also am planning on leaving with minimum money so I want to know where I can go and get on my feet quickly, I am taking two little children with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 06:41 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,890,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1luv1923 View Post
Hi, I currently want to relocate to a state that honors single mothers. I currently work in Customer Service and want to know where I can go and do my job and get hired quickly. I also am planning on leaving with minimum money so I want to know where I can go and get on my feet quickly, I am taking two little children with me.
What does this (bolded) mean exactly?

As far as "get hired quickly" good luck with that these days.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:43 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,731,990 times
A state that honors single mothers? Like with a parade or holiday?

You can get in to customer service absolutely anywhere. Could you be more specific as to which type of customer service? Call center? Food service? Retail?

I live in New York state and we "honor" single mothers with egregious amounts of welfare. So you might like it here until they cut you off (we are currently running a $16b deficit, the state refuses to make cuts, and tax increases are just about out of the question because we are already the highest taxed state and the rich are leaving in droves because of this).

Old 06-23-2010, 08:48 PM

4,283 posts, read 8,237,534 times
San Antonio, Texas.. Tons of Customer Service Call Center Jobs+ Low Cost of Living

Old 06-23-2010, 08:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,800,799 times
What does "honor single mothers" mean, I am so tired of that term.

I don't mean widows or women who are divorced, but I am so tired of supporting women who have children who aren't married and then think they're saints. Wearing a badge of honor like they're a war hero.

If you can't pay for them, don't have them.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:03 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,731,990 times
Big reps to you Seain. I think that you are right on the money. So many people act irresponsibly, then act surprised that society doesn't reward them for basically being morons. I am with you in that I'm not talking about widows or divorcees, as that was probably not caused by irresponsibility.

But we have a boy in power now who was born to a single mother and that's working great...

Old 06-23-2010, 09:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,328,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What does "honor single mothers" mean, I am so tired of that term.

I don't mean widows or women who are divorced, but I am so tired of supporting women who have children who aren't married and then think they're saints. Wearing a badge of honor like they're a war hero.

If you can't pay for them, don't have them.

While I agree with you for the most part, there are exceptions. Maybe this poor lady was raped and chose to keep the child. Maybe she CAN afford to take care of them but wants to be get away from n abusive ex-husband or father.

I just hate to judge without knowing all the facts here. Otherwise, I completely agree with you.

Okay, so what does she really mean by "honor"? The only job I know of that may "honor" single mothers is working at a daycare. You'll be honored with free or discounted daycare.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:44 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,053,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Shouldn't your anger be directed towards the men who fathered these children and then do nothing to support or raise them?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,328,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Shouldn't your anger be directed towards the men who fathered these children and then do nothing to support or raise them?
Both are at fault in general.

The men are at fault because:

1) They are irresponsible.

The women are at fault because:

1) Had a poor judge of character in men.
2) They made a choice to have or keep the child.

The act of it happening is an accident (or worst case a crime). But the act of going through with it is a choice.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:52 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,890,075 times
Bet we never get an answer re the honor single mothers thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment