Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:32 PM

171 posts, read 446,960 times

Advertisements

I'm a non-professional using $8k in savings to relocate to another state this December. Between now and then, I've only booked one trip to the city, October 5-10. It's a $400 plane trip every time I go, and I've already been there twice and can't afford to visit all the time.

At any rate, like said, I'm NOT a professional. I'll have a college degree and two years of experience working as a $7.75/hr executive assistant (yeah, figure that out) BUT I didn't let my degree get to my head and I'm not above bussing tables, stocking shelves, and flipping burgers. What I know is that I need to make $350 a week from my job(s) to be more than comfortable and to sustain a lifestyle better than what I have now as a college student and to qualify for and be able to afford the readily-available apartments in my $450/mo budget.

That said, what in the world can I do in those 5 days I'll be in Saint Louis to get my name out there? EVERYONE is telling me that I ought to find a job before I go, but my thinking is, who in their right mind would hire an administrative assistant from across the country when it's literally THE most common position with the most workers in the United States? It's not like I'm a pharmacist, engineer, or some other position where it makes sense to apply from states away. Right??

...so I'm at a loss.

I also work as a web designer and I'm considering publishing a website with an administration- and non-profit-geared resume, statements from my "you're-the-best-employee-we've-ever-had" supervisors, etc, and handing off business cards whenever I so much as make small talk at a dive bar or tip my waitress. The cards would include my contact info (I'll have a local address and phone number) and describe me as an "administrative professional" or something similar and state that I'm available in Saint Louis.

Besides those two ideas (feel free to comment) what the heck can I do in just 5 days? And am I the only one who thinks it's crazy for someone like me to think they can get a job BEFORE they move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 08:05 PM

25,596 posts, read 56,615,683 times
You will get more response if you post this here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/

Old 08-05-2011, 06:32 AM

13,375 posts, read 40,111,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You will get more response if you post this here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/
Agreed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-05-2011, 06:55 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,737,010 times
Networking means using your contacts to hookup with more people. So, are you on linked in so people can see your photo and resume? Can you announce your plight on facebook so your facebok friends maybe know people or have ideas? Have you done a job search on the state dept. Of labor website to see who has jobs and tried to contact any of them? Do you have former classmates from thie city you could give a call and get ideas? Were you ever a boy scout? Can you contact eagle scouts in your destination city? Do you know anyone at all who lives there, can you contact? What is your great professional goal? Find a consultant in that area of specialty and send your resume asking if s/he could sent it on to anyone looking for a learner......

Old 08-05-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Agreed.
Well, thanks. I was originally going to post in the forum [my post has now been moved to], but I figured it made sense to post in the unemployment forum when you're about to be unemployed and looking for work. Guess not, lol. Anyway, thanks for doing whatever it took to get this moved so that I'd get some relevant responses.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Networking means using your contacts to hookup with more people. So, are you on linked in so people can see your photo and resume? Can you announce your plight on facebook so your facebok friends maybe know people or have ideas? Have you done a job search on the state dept. Of labor website to see who has jobs and tried to contact any of them? Do you have former classmates from thie city you could give a call and get ideas? Were you ever a boy scout? Can you contact eagle scouts in your destination city? Do you know anyone at all who lives there, can you contact? What is your great professional goal? Find a consultant in that area of specialty and send your resume asking if s/he could sent it on to anyone looking for a learner......
Sorry, I guess my post title was a bit off-base (in the name of making sure I made the character count, lol). I'm not exactly asking how to network in general--I'm asking what I can do to make my 5-day trip as effective as possible, assuming it's something that I realistically can and should utilize. In other words, what can I do to establish contacts--since I don't have but ONE where I'm going--in that short time frame? I can be (and already am) online in the meantime, but I'd like to use my "in-person time" effectively, too.

Last edited by Dr_Pepper; 08-05-2011 at 02:57 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 02:37 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,487,685 times
You could apply to jobs and in your cover letter write that you will be in town on such and such dates and will be available for interviews. The downside with that is usually when businesses post job ads, they need people immediately or at least within the next month or so. December is a ways away, but it's worth a shot.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
You could apply to jobs and in your cover letter write that you will be in town on such and such dates and will be available for interviews. The downside with that is usually when businesses post job ads, they need people immediately or at least within the next month or so. December is a ways away, but it's worth a shot.
It can't hurt. Thanks for the idea (I may be returning to the city in November, after all, so this just might work)! +Rep. I should add that I'll also be offering a finders fee for employment, too, and have even considered making some flyers advertising this finders fee and linking to another website that details what it's all about. Such flyers would be posted at bus stations, community bulletin boards, maybe for a few weeks in the paper, grocery store bulletin boards, etc.

Last edited by Dr_Pepper; 08-05-2011 at 03:43 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 03:13 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,137,531 times
For the past 2 years I have been applying to out of state jobs and I have not received one call from any of them - In my cover letter I explain I am relocating at my expense but it made no difference - I did send out a cover letter and resume that I was going to be in town on certain dates as I was planning to relocate there - This was the first time I did get a call from my resume -However your timing may be off I'm really not sure that anyone is going to be willing to hold a job open from October until December but I guess it doesn't to try - Good luck

Old 08-05-2011, 03:14 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,429,337 times
Just visit as many places as your two feet can carry you during the 5 days you are there. Instead of flyers concentrate on the business cards. If a place isn't hiring ask for referals to other places that may be hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment