Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,316,137 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I filled out an employment application and because my work history in the "corporate world" is short since moving to FL from Europe, the next question in the "application" (where BTW there was NO place to upload a resume), was if I were in .....get this: PRISON!!!!!!!!!! Because apparently if you haven't worked for 6+ years on a payroll you must be jailed! whatever happened to:

1. Staying home with kids? because maybe at $7 an hour a daycare is OUT of the question...................OR
2. Had your own business but can no longer afford the advertising costs?
3. Maybe worked OUTSIDE US?
4. Had to care for elderly family members? 24/7?
5. We're sick?
6. Became disabled?

I mean, I am sorry, but I think it is absolutely ASININE to punish women for being out of work! The %age of Women who are out of work PURPOSELY IS SO SMALL it can't even be counted! who the hell wants to be out of work where prices have gone up like crazy everywhere for no apparent reason!????????? who, I would like to personally meet that WOMAN!

HR People are OUT OF THEIR MINDS! and just because we can't prove they discriminate based on age or PERSONAL PREFERENCES, that doesn't mean we don;t know their miserable practices and fake job ads!

SHAME ON YOU FOR KEEPING QUALIFIED PEOPLE OUT OF WORK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,833,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Yesterday I filled out an employment application and because my work history in the "corporate world" is short since moving to FL from Europe, the next question in the "application" (where BTW there was NO place to upload a resume), was if I were in .....get this: PRISON!!!!!!!!!! Because apparently if you haven't worked for 6+ years on a payroll you must be jailed! whatever happened to:

1. Staying home with kids? because maybe at $7 an hour a daycare is OUT of the question...................OR
5. We're sick?
6. Became disabled?

7. Watching cartoons?

Old 01-13-2011, 09:14 AM

yeah......hahaha

Then they publish these stupid articles, just read #4
things-your-boss-wont-tell-you: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

.....it is sooooooooo INSULTING, it's not funny! as if what is being taught to women versus men is somehow different! and the degree itself lists: "MBA: Women's Division" and "MBA: Men's Division"!

The IRONY, is that if it wasn't for the WOMEN, there wouldn't be any men punishing us with their stupid rules!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:25 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,833,357 times
I think you (and others) will get a kick out of this. I've heard this site has changed a bit, perhaps toned down. It used to be called Job Vent.

Jobitorial - Employee Job Reviews

Here's another one:

Glassdoor.com – an inside look at jobs & companies

Old 01-13-2011, 09:53 AM

536 posts, read 1,430,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post

5. We're sick?
6. Became disabled?

I mean, I am sorry, but I think it is absolutely ASININE to punish women for being out of work! The %age of Women who are out of work PURPOSELY IS SO SMALL it can't even be counted! who the hell wants to be out of work where prices have gone up like crazy everywhere for no apparent reason!????????? who, I would like to personally meet that WOMAN!

HR People are OUT OF THEIR MINDS! and just because we can't prove they discriminate based on age or PERSONAL PREFERENCES, that doesn't mean we don;t know their miserable practices and fake job ads!

SHAME ON YOU FOR KEEPING QUALIFIED PEOPLE OUT OF WORK!
This is difficult to read, seems like a wild rant with no direction. If I understand correctly, you are b*tching and moaning that the company doesn't have an '*unless you are a woman who might have been at home taking care of kids' asterisk, which would explain a lengthy resume gap.

Believe me, if they had this, other women would complain they are treated differently.

And to conclude from this application that women are being punished for being out of the workforce: also completely out of left field.

Btw, many women stay at home. They prefer to raise their kids and keep a household. Their husbands make a decent living. Just because a woman opts for family over career (because sorry to break it to you, in many cases in this society, it's one or the other), doesn't mean she's crazy.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:03 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,772,646 times
So what is the answer to the question "were you in prison"? It's a simple yes or no.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 AM

126 posts, read 724,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I use glassdoor before sending my resume to a company
(or sending my resume to a recruiter representing them).
The information can be useful, provided there is enough
"feedback" posts.

I was shocked to see flight attendants making $39/hr.
My last "full-time employment position", I was making
$60/hr, and my most recent experience as a contract
consultant (Business Analyst/programmer), I was
making $102/hr (mid-2009).

I got an unsolicited email yesterday from a recruiter
representing a well-known, popular airline company,
for a "Sr BA" position - he said the *most* they will
pay is $30/hr W2, no benefits. I'm better off switching
careers to "flight attendant" (although I bet, it would
be difficult to land [sic] a F.A. job at 50+ years old )

Old 01-13-2011, 12:00 PM

8,971 posts, read 20,402,116 times
I remember an employment agency asking me to fill this out this form on their in-office computer after I took a couple of tests.........about drugs.
Do you use?
Have you used?
Have you ever sold?
What kind of drugs do you use now?
Have you ever been arrested for drug use or distribution?
And a few other questions relating to drugs/drug use.

I'm a former EMT and was definitely around people who used drugs.......took numerous ones to the ER!! But these questions really got to me. Never in my 42 years of working have I ever seen a form like this!

Old 01-13-2011, 02:58 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,924,773 times
I'm missing something. How is asking you if you are in prison "punishing" you for currently being out of work or because you're a woman????

Some companies that rely on people applying for jobs online get hit by lots of people who are in prison, who fill out the applications, seemingly just to waste the time of the hiring employers.

Though I tend to doubt that a person filling out an online application from prison would actually answer the question "are you in prison" truthfully, I see the point in trying to screen out convicts when an employer might be sorting through thousands of applications.

Seems you are very insulted by being asked such a question, but it's probably just a standard question and not a personal statement on your gender or your being unemployed.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:38 AM

It's the "assumption" and No other OPTIONS available to CHOOSE from so that the employer GETS A Correct impression as to who is applying!!!!!!!!

Why offer "prison" as the ONLY option when someone has been out of work in a long time!???

I have never set foot in a court room in my entire life and have done nothing wrong...never been or even passed by a prison driving...OK! But it sure bothered me that employers think so little of people these days and have just a few short assumptions if the resume or answers don't match up to their software app used to screen ppl!

It IS Insulting.

Just like assuming that if someone has bad credit they are automatically bad people with no work ethic or morals! VERY INSULTING & Presumptuous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm missing something. How is asking you if you are in prison "punishing" you for currently being out of work or because you're a woman????

Some companies that rely on people applying for jobs online get hit by lots of people who are in prison, who fill out the applications, seemingly just to waste the time of the hiring employers.

Though I tend to doubt that a person filling out an online application from prison would actually answer the question "are you in prison" truthfully, I see the point in trying to screen out convicts when an employer might be sorting through thousands of applications.

Seems you are very insulted by being asked such a question, but it's probably just a standard question and not a personal statement on your gender or your being unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment