Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 04:12 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,337,048 times

Advertisements

Ok folks, since the first thread got completely taken out of context, I will list the issue again:

I was filling out an application online directly on the employer's website. Marriott.com

Half way through, I got to where I could list my work history, so I filled out a few jobs I had and moved on to the next section.

On the next section the first question asked (with a choice of yes and no) was the question "if The applicant has been in prison", it showed up ONLY because I only listed 2 past jobs (btw, when I refiled the application and filled out 5 jobs instead, the question about one being in prison did not show up anymore)

MY main issue with the type of online application, which was NOT the only one I encountered in the last few months, was that the employer automaticaly assumed one was in prison since the were 2 jobs listed in the work history and then a gap of 6 years!!!!!!!

The problem with having this ridiculous type of application, which BTW I have never seen before when I applied and got my first jobs here back between 2001 and 2004.....was that employers need to be fair and give more options to choose from if one applicant has a gap in work history. Simply Enough. Adding those options in the online application take less than 30 seconds just like inserting a field for uploading a resume. Just because someone has a gap in employment that does NOT mean they've been in jail or sat on the couch doing nothing for any number of years and employers need to get over themselves and take ppl for what they are and what situation they might have been in. Not make insulting assumptions and not even give the opportunity to an applicant to UPLOAD a RESUME.

That's it. I am appaled at these "new" practices especially when they involve an administrative assistant position that doesn't even require security clearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 04:27 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,049,516 times
They are lazy and cheap; they don't want to pay for a background check is my guess.

Missing work can mean several possibilities: not able to find work, in college not working, self-employed, etc.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:27 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,984,422 times
You could have at least spelled beware correctly the second time.

OK seriously, I don't see the issue. Just answer "no" and move on. You want to explain the lapses in employment? That's for the interview.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:18 PM

Sorry for the typo (both times), I wanted to spell it as it was already to avoid confusion.... (sadly the first time I was so aggravated with this I didn't even see it until the 2nd page was created....LOLOL

Yes, my point exactly, I don't know who sits around without having a job PURPOSELY! unless they're millionaires and retired! and even then...ppl still find things to do. I know of ppl looking for jobs for the last 18 months, applying right and left and nothing, and these are highly qualified ppl with MBAs etc.

I think "employers" took advantage of the momentum created by the recession to have an excuse to extort people into doing 2 or more jobs on one salary, I know my hubby is one of the people having to do 3 jobs on one salary for the last 4 years. It is shameful at best especially when qualified candidates are turned down under the "overqualified" excuse only to avoid paying them the wages they deserve.

But as I was saying before, a gap in employment can mean:

Maternity leave (job was gone while in it, happened to me)
Traveled or worked abroad
Sick
Cared for the elderly
Owned a business
Volunteered at a school

I mean, there are a ton of reasons why someone might have a gap in employment and I for one don't feel like being dumped in the same category with the prison ppl. and not because "I am better than anyone else", but because that is simply not the case and I don't want an employer to discount my application on that assumption. Don't give me the job because I don't have 10 years in customer service, not because of a false assumption.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:24 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,648,891 times
This is like deja-vu, didn't you post something similar before?

I still for the life of me can't understand how anyone would get so offended if the employer asked if you had been in prison due to a lengthy period of unemployment.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:36 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,260,098 times
I'm holding out for thread #3 on this topic.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:45 PM

Obviously you are not getting the point here, it is not about the question itself, it is about giving ppl options to choose from when you as the employer have decided not have a place to upload a resume. How am I supposed to get a job where the questions don't match my scenario and on top of that I don't even have a place to upload a word or pdf resume!!!!!! but I am very qualified for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
This is like deja-vu, didn't you post something similar before?

I still for the life of me can't understand how anyone would get so offended if the employer asked if you had been in prison due to a lengthy period of unemployment.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,335,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I haven't read the OP's other threads, but I think he has a legitimate gripe.

I've never been arrested or in prison; however, I can understand why someone would be uncomfortable with that question being on an application in relation to gaps of employment.

It's possible to be in prison without ever being convicted of a crime. It's illegal for potential employers to ask if an applicant has ever been arrested because arrest doesn't mean conviction. Asking if an applicant has ever been in prison is asking the same thing.

As a SAHM for 7 years, I would be offended if I noticed that the question was only being asked because of my employment gap. Just because I chose to stay home and raise my children shouldn't be a red flag that I am an ex-convict.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:10 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I haven't read the OP's other threads, but I think he has a legitimate gripe.

I've never been arrested or in prison; however, I can understand why someone would be uncomfortable with that question being on an application in relation to gaps of employment.

It's possible to be in prison without ever being convicted of a crime. It's illegal for potential employers to ask if an applicant has ever been arrested because arrest doesn't mean conviction. Asking if an applicant has ever been in prison is asking the same thing.

As a SAHM for 7 years, I would be offended if I noticed that the question was only being asked because of my employment gap. Just because I chose to stay home and raise my children shouldn't be a red flag that I am an ex-convict.
Seriously??

You make a good point about the whole arrest thing-- because that does not imply conviction and in this country at least you are innocent until proven guilty. However, I would say that if you are in prison-- generally speaking you have been convicted of a crime-- whether or not you are able to appeal it and be found not guilty later.

There is no way an employer is going to have drop down boxes for every scenario under the sun--- what they are trying to do is figure out if you have had a conviction and spent those past years in prison.

It is a simple question-- yes or no. Either you have or you haven't. You can ask me all day long if I have been in prison or convicted of a crime-- it wouldn't offend me at all-- it is not an assumption that you are an ex-con if they ask it-- and who knows even how long one has had to have had a gap in their work history to be asked that question-- they may ask it to every employee.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:22 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,781,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
ok folks, since the first thread got completely taken out of context, i will list the issue again:

I was filling out an application online directly on the employer's website. Marriott.com

half way through, i got to where i could list my work history, so i filled out a few jobs i had and moved on to the next section.

On the next section the first question asked (with a choice of yes and no) was the question "if the applicant has been in prison", it showed up only because i only listed 2 past jobs (btw, when i refiled the application and filled out 5 jobs instead, the question about one being in prison did not show up anymore)

my main issue with the type of online application, which was not the only one i encountered in the last few months, was that the employer automaticaly assumed one was in prison since the were 2 jobs listed in the work history and then a gap of 6 years!!!!!!!

The problem with having this ridiculous type of application, which btw i have never seen before when i applied and got my first jobs here back between 2001 and 2004.....was that employers need to be fair and give more options to choose from if one applicant has a gap in work history. Simply enough. adding those options in the online application take less than 30 seconds just like inserting a field for uploading a resume. Just because someone has a gap in employment that does not mean they've been in jail or sat on the couch doing nothing for any number of years and employers need to get over themselves and take ppl for what they are and what situation they might have been in. Not make insulting assumptions and not even give the opportunity to an applicant to upload a resume.

That's it. I am appaled at these "new" practices especially when they involve an administrative assistant position that doesn't even require security clearance.
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment