Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:18 AM

267 posts, read 1,361,190 times

Advertisements

Last night I was checking out old newspapers ( mainly from the 40s & 50s ) on NewspaperArchive.com and looking at those old help wanted ads, I saw such things as "...only married men need to apply", "....women only", and ".....we will only hire those of the Catholic faith". When did this practice stop such as demanding out in the open that only marrieds can apply much less only Catholics? OK, I am sure there are still companies today will only hire someone who say is married but they aren't going to mention THAT in those help wanted ads.

The "morals clause"....In the Cumberland, MD paper I saw a 1957 article of a local bank CEO who said how he was against gambling as to him it was a sin and "...my employees are not allowed to visit Las Vegas otherwise I will fire them". Was this sort of thing common back then among businesses? Some old timers over the years had told me both, yes it was and no it wasn't. Of course there is "employment at will" where people can be fired for any reason I would assume that could mean by visiting Las Vegas, Indianapolis or whatever if one's boss doesn't "approve" of those places but to be blunt about it like that bank CEO was, common practice then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The only change is current employers are not as obvious about discrimination.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:46 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Hey, maybe it if was the 1950s I could find a job!
Married, non-drinking, non-gambling.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I disagree with Greg. We've left a lot of the uptight repression behind. Back then women became teachers, nurses, or secretaries, a few of them became clerks in stores, but that was considered a job for a "lower-class" type of woman.

Is there discrimination still? Sure, there's some. But it's no where near as rampant. I just came across a resume my father had prepared in 1968. It listed his education and experience, and also had a "personal" section with his date of birth, marital status, number of kids, height, and weight, and his photo! How crazy is that? But it used to be routine.

And I think that some of the "discrimination" that people "think" exists only exists in their own mind. I hear a lot about age discrimination, yet some of the people saying they are being discriminated against aren't the best person for the job. They either lack the latest skills or the physical ability to do a job that has some physical requirements. That's not discrimination, that's hiring the best person for the job.

I can tell you for certain that the last seven companies I've worked at have hired the best person for the job, regardless of age. Granted it's anecdotal, but that's 20 years of seeing that type of trend in both large and small businesses in three completely different geographical areas, so I have to believe there's quite a bit of truth in the observation.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:14 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Check out this craigslist ad - they specifically want a college educated attractive female
Administrative Assistant Needed (http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ofc/1536280015.html - broken link)
Why did I think you couldn't specify gender? Is that a law or am I mistaken?

Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Check out this craigslist ad - they specifically want a college educated attractive female
Administrative Assistant Needed (http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ofc/1536280015.html - broken link)
Technically I don't think you're supposed to.... but it's craigslist.

I've seen some job ads on there that specified 'only white people' 'only Christians' 'only attractive people' 'only females under 5'9' etc etc.

Craigslist is crazy.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
It's definitely a law with a very few exceptions (such as a casting call for actors, models, etc.) Many that post on Craigslist are morons that don't know the law. If they called the local newspaper to run that ad, the paper wouldn't have accepted it as written.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 AM

267 posts, read 1,361,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Technically I don't think you're supposed to.... but it's craigslist.

I've seen some job ads on there that specified 'only white people' 'only Christians' 'only attractive people' 'only females under 5'9' etc etc.

Craigslist is crazy.

Agree with ya about Craigslist !! Last year I saw this on Craigslist ".....those from Columbus, Ohio need not to apply as that city still allows gay bath houses to exist within their city limits which goes against our moral standards and we are a pro-family company".

Talk about ironic..the ad was from Colorado...according to my brother who is gay, which American city has more of those so-called gay bath houses than any other city? Denver !!! For the record according to my brother Indianapolis is second. And from he told me he got that info from those Damon's Gay Travel books.

I believe many of those Craigslist employment ads are a joke anyway I won't even bother.

Last edited by billybobwv; 01-07-2010 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: mis-spelled Craigslist UGH

Old 01-07-2010, 04:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
The best craigslist job ad was the lawyer from Chicago that wanted a secretary to perform all office duties, yet she also had to have sex with him and another male employee on a regular basis!

He even specified in the ad that he wanted trial sex at the first interview because he had previously hired someone who said she would have sex and then after she was hired, she chickened out.

A woman turned in the ad and the lawyer got in trouble.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
In some countries there are no laws on employment discrimination and an employer is well within their rights to specify an age range, preferred sex, preferred race or ethnicity, preferred religion, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment