Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:12 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times

Advertisements

We (wife and I) don't have bad credit, but entirely understand your feelings about the "insulting" and "presumptuous" below. Employers today are asking some pretty ridiculous questons, but apparently today's workers have made it that way. I don't like it either, but nothing can be done about it either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
It's the "assumption" and No other OPTIONS available to CHOOSE from so that the employer GETS A Correct impression as to who is applying!!!!!!!!

Why offer "prison" as the ONLY option when someone has been out of work in a long time!???

I have never set foot in a court room in my entire life and have done nothing wrong...never been or even passed by a prison driving...OK! But it sure bothered me that employers think so little of people these days and have just a few short assumptions if the resume or answers don't match up to their software app used to screen ppl!

It IS Insulting.

Just like assuming that if someone has bad credit they are automatically bad people with no work ethic or morals! VERY INSULTING & Presumptuous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 08:16 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Just like assuming that if someone has bad credit they are automatically bad people with no work ethic or morals! VERY INSULTING & Presumptuous!
They may have a good work ethic and high morals but bad credit sends a message about handling responsibilities and judgment. Granted, there are extreme situations but (I'd bet) most bad credit is due to poor planning, carelessness, and lack of responsibility.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:34 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Geez Algia, you are sending out alot of red flags so that maybe hiring you would be a mistake for any organization:

1. Threatening (Hr be ware)?
2. Anger Issues?
3. Easily frustrated?
4. Biased on gender?
5. Too many assumptions

I know you are frustrated but if any of this "attitude" comes out in an interview you'd be rejected. You sound Palinesque actually.

And remember, the private sector doesn't care about people, only profits.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:12 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Quote:
It's the "assumption" and No other OPTIONS available to CHOOSE from so that the employer GETS A Correct impression as to who is applying!!!!!!!!

Why offer "prison" as the ONLY option when someone has been out of work in a long time!???

I have never set foot in a court room in my entire life and have done nothing wrong...never been or even passed by a prison driving...OK! But it sure bothered me that employers think so little of people these days and have just a few short assumptions if the resume or answers don't match up to their software app used to screen ppl!

It IS Insulting.

Wow, I didn't realize that online applications companies set up are all about YOU, sorry. I (and those companies) apparently did not realize that YOU would be filling out the application. That makes all the difference in the world.

I still see it as a screening question and not an assumption. You may need to get your meds adjusted.

And yes, having bad credit DOES say a lot about a person, as apart from bona fide errors or ID theft, everything in ones credit report is under the person's control.

And I need to add that comparing this poster to Sarah Palin is WAY off base and insulting to Palin. She strongly advocates for personal responsibility.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Large corporations have spent a lot of money on psychologists and consultants to establish applicant questions to identify the people they want and eliminate those that would not be compatible with their goals.

Your reaction to this question, could be what they are looking for, if you choose not to apply because of it. They may have been plagued with workplace issues from people who take things too personally. In the case of drug questions, they could merely be letting people know that if they use drugs they should not apply.

With so many people out of work now companies can be a lot more selective in who they hire and offer less compensation. Have a look at this example of a company that is used for testing:

HIRE SUCCESS EMPLOYMENT TESTING SYSTEM

Old 01-14-2011, 10:29 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Wow, I didn't realize that online applications companies set up are all about YOU, sorry. I (and those companies) apparently did not realize that YOU would be filling out the application. That makes all the difference in the world.

I still see it as a screening question and not an assumption. You may need to get your meds adjusted.

And yes, having bad credit DOES say a lot about a person, as apart from bona fide errors or ID theft, everything in ones credit report is under the person's control.

And I need to add that comparing this poster to Sarah Palin is WAY off base and insulting to Palin. She strongly advocates for personal responsibility.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:29 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
Quote:

It IS Insulting.

So... it wasn't a question after all (i.e., "were you in prison? yes or no"), but rather an assumption you had to agree to (i.e., "please click here to continue, confirming that indeed you were in prison")

Is that correct?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:25 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldercay View Post
I use glassdoor before sending my resume to a company
(or sending my resume to a recruiter representing them).
The information can be useful, provided there is enough
"feedback" posts.

I was shocked to see flight attendants making $39/hr.
My last "full-time employment position", I was making
$60/hr, and my most recent experience as a contract
consultant (Business Analyst/programmer), I was
making $102/hr (mid-2009).

I got an unsolicited email yesterday from a recruiter
representing a well-known, popular airline company,
for a "Sr BA" position - he said the *most* they will
pay is $30/hr W2, no benefits. I'm better off switching
careers to "flight attendant" (although I bet, it would
be difficult to land [sic] a F.A. job at 50+ years old )
It may seem a FA gets paid a lot but in reality they don't-- unless they are in an old pay grade because they have been a FA for years and years and years. Even then doubtful they are doing that well. $60.00 an hour can look awesome until you really only work like 20 hours in a week or something.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:30 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times
I tend to agree with the other posters.

Although I have personally never run into such questions before-- it would say a lot to me that perhaps if they need this kind of filtering maybe it would not be an environment I would be so keen to work for-- i.e. maybe the jobs offered are more along the entry level where people who even had been in prison for periods of long time are looking at as potential re-entry jobs, etc)

Old 01-15-2011, 03:50 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
You are, by your own volition, making an assumption as to why they are asking that question. It used to be applications would simply asked "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" with only space for yes or no. Now employers are asking about all activity with the law you may have been in.

Nowhere in that question are they assuming you were in prison because you had sporadic work experience and the 6 or 7 addiitional points you posted as possibilities of why you hadn't the experience obviously was irrelevant to them in consideration of offering you employment. I think you are getting worked up over nothing at this point.

There was a short gap in my employment history and at the time of the actual interview it was brought up. The reason was quite logical. The company I worked for was acquired by another and prior to the acquisition they elminated more than half the positions across the country and overseas so the company would be worth more monetarily at the time of selling and after which I went back to school via a grant and severance for a year. I was still asked on an application if I had been convicted of a felony. So no one is assuming you were in jail they are simply weeding out people who were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment