Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 08:28 PM

13 posts, read 50,153 times

Advertisements

Who out there does a job that is not "At Will" or not "Right to Work". I'm tired of being laid off because of favoritism even when I met or exceed job expectations.

I'm looking for union jobs. What companies or organizations have strong unions.

I have the obvious- police officer, ups carrier, gov jobs.

Is the anything else someone can think of?

I'd rather make 50K a year from a relatively secure job then have the potential to make 100K and be laid off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 09:28 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,468,602 times
Airline Pilot Central

Old 10-23-2010, 09:48 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,167,132 times
Anyone can be laid off. Look what happened to police officers and teachers this year.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:17 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,468,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Anyone can be laid off. Look what happened to police officers and teachers this year.
Typically they call for a way to lay off though. For example, at my job almost 10% of our group was laid off. In a normal company that would probably be the top 10% costing the company the most. However union rules dictate furloughs happen in reverse seniority. So the least expensive guys got the axe.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:42 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,033,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Typically they call for a way to lay off though. For example, at my job almost 10% of our group was laid off. In a normal company that would probably be the top 10% costing the company the most. However union rules dictate furloughs happen in reverse seniority. So the least expensive guys got the axe.
Which is why the tax payers and consumers of government services get the shaft ... It should be merit-based versus blind seniority where the burnt-out, ineffective employees get laid off and the energetic, productive employees get to keep their jobs. I don't care how it's done in private industries but when it comes to public employees, the taxpayers are the true employers and we should get more bang for our bucks.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:47 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,692,605 times
I work for a foreign company unde the work rules of that country. There is no Right to Work rules. if a labor company or position, your part of the labor union. But our union is nothing like american unions just like management is nothing like american management. They work together.

We also are not At-Will employees. We can only be terminated for cause and you can request a fair hearing on the cause. If you request a hearing, a panel of 5 people are assmebled (like a jury) 1 must be in the position you hold or knowlegable about your job, 1 must be from your work group, and 1 must oversea the area involving your termination. So if safety, the person must work in health & safety, if regulatory, the person must be in regulatory liason. The rest are picked in rotation. If you convince them that your termination wasn't justified or you have specil circumatances, they can vote to retain you or retain with conditions. The ruling is final on all.

We can be laid off, have operations terminated, or anything else, they just have to place the reason in writing. If they want to let you go because your feet stink, thet let you go. So long as they place the reason in writting and provide the required severance package, thet can do it. If they don;t want to pay severance & benefits (8 months same as work), it has to be for cause.

Union jobs do have lay offs as does all governement jobs. It may not be so wham-bam out the door goodby, but it happens.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,167,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Not sure how that helps the OP considering he is just looking to get in to one of these jobs. He would be first out.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:24 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Start a business. You won't get laid off unless your half of you dislikes you.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:12 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,043,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Start a business. You won't get laid off unless your half of you dislikes you.

And what type of business do you think he should start? Dog Walking? Hot dog stand? Or maybe he should take out a small business loan and open up a manufacturing company right? Opening a business in America for the average person with not a lot of capital is worthless, unless you have a groundbreaking idea as well. 50 years ago anyone could open up any business and be fairly successful. At least make enough to support a family and a middle class lifestyle.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:33 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
And what type of business do you think he should start? Dog Walking? Hot dog stand? Or maybe he should take out a small business loan and open up a manufacturing company right? Opening a business in America for the average person with not a lot of capital is worthless, unless you have a groundbreaking idea as well. 50 years ago anyone could open up any business and be fairly successful. At least make enough to support a family and a middle class lifestyle.
I disagree. I did it without any financial backing, without a loan, and without a unique idea. I copied it off of another company that I worked for. The problem is that people don't try. It's not that they cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment